• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR] Pathway To Glory (ngage) features: online play, global ranks, voice comms

Chittagong

Gold Member
The below in a nutshell:

- Online gaming
- Field Radio system for voice comms online
- Permanent damage
- Predefined short message system
- Global Military Ranking System for ranked matches
- See online status of friends
- Go-to-friend - find friends and join their game

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040913/ukm013_1.html

Pathway to Glory Revolutionizes Mobile Gaming With Online Features
Monday September 13, 11:46 am ET

Exclusive N-Gage Only Title Developed by RedLynx on Track for November Release

ESPOO, Finland, September 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Nokia announced today additional online features for its critically acclaimed Second World War action-packed strategy game, Pathway to Glory. This exclusive N-Gage game features innovative and unique ways for gamers around the globe to connect, compete, cooperate and communicate in the online multiplayer game mode. Players can either connect to collaborate and compete in a Global Battle Ground via the N-Gage Arena, or set up a local multiplayer game of up to six players via Bluetooth wireless technology.

One of Pathway to Glory's groundbreaking features is the advanced in-game communication system that ensures communication between players and strengthens the co-operation between allies. The Field Radio feature enables gamers to send voice messages to each other during the game, which get transmitted as a though a player's N-Gage game deck was acting as a field radio. This is a world first for mobile gaming and showcases the possibilities that the N-Gage platform provides for game developers. The pre-configured message system allows gamers to use predefined text messages within the game that can then be sent to other players, for example calling for backup or ordering an air strike.

In the Global Battle Ground, players can choose from four different campaigns consisting of 12 extensive multiplayer levels with support for up to 48 soldiers and 16 vehicles in a single battleground. Detail-rich battleground environments range from Sicily and the Rhein to Normandy, with a permanent damage system in place to add an additional level of realism.

"The development team behind Pathway to Glory wanted to bring something truly unique to the market, and we have joined them in going beyond what was previously thought to be possible in a mobile game. We are proud to say that what initially started as an ambitious goal from the developer has now turned into online reality via the N-Gage Arena," says Gerard Wiener, Director, Network Gaming Solutions, Nokia.

Another innovative feature enables gamers to search on-going Pathway to Glory games via the N-Gage Arena and choose which game they want to join. The Go-to-friend feature lets gamers check their N-Gage Arena Buddy List to see which friends are online and then join in the same game that their friends are playing.

Nokia also disclosed that Helsinki-based RedLynx is the developer behind the game. With a handpicked team consisting of experts in game development and cellular networks, RedLynx has delivered an exciting range of revolutionary mobile gaming features.

"Working with Nokia to craft a flagship N-Gage title has been a huge opportunity for us. Nokia's uncompromising focus to create a superior quality product has given us the drive and determination to build the best possible game that we could," says Tero Virtala, CEO of RedLynx.

"We've been impressed with Red Lynx's ability to not only deliver a world class game, but also for their innovation and creativity in making the most of what the N-Gage platform can offer," said Toni Virhia, Senior Producer, Pathway to Glory. "Their hard work and dedication will ensure that Pathway to Glory will amaze gamers around the world."

Pathway to Glory has two game modes: a Ranked game mode and a Filtered game mode. The Ranked game mode enables gamers to compete based on their Global Military Rank against players of a similar rank. This ensures easy access for casual and beginning gamers to fight against equally skilled opponents. Players advance in the Global Military Ranking System by earning medals and ranks based on personal heroism, co-operation, communication and common success in battleground. The Filtered game mode allows gamers to create a game and choose the level(s) for the battleground, while choosing the number of players and soldiers for each team and defining the length of the turn for both sides.

Pathway to Glory is expected to be in stores in November 2004.

Screenshots:

pathway2.jpg
pathway1.jpg
pathway4.jpg

pathway-to-glory-20040624025125983.jpg

B E N K E

It's pretty good actually. Got a preview build of Pathway to Glory from Nokia not so long ago. N-gage gets a lot of casual bad mouthing, but there are a few games that stand out. I really enjoy Rayman 3 for example and Ghost Recon is good but short (campaign could use more missions). But the games should be a lot cheaper... In Sweden they cost about 60 dollars (the dollar is really low right now, which accounts for some of the outrageousness, but I think even half of that is too much).

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
I played the downloadable demo and was really impressed.

It's way beyond the level of strategy you would expect from a handheld game. The production values are amazing too.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
TekunoRobby said:
Now I understand why those people in the commercials were screaming at the N-gage.
Nokia Press-release said:
One of Pathway to Glory's groundbreaking features is the advanced in-game communication system that ensures communication between players and strengthens the co-operation between allies. The Field Radio feature enables gamers to send voice messages to each other during the game, which get transmitted as a though a player's N-Gage game deck was acting as a field radio. This is a world first for mobile gaming and showcases the possibilities that the N-Gage platform provides for game developers. The pre-configured message system allows gamers to use predefined text messages within the game that can then be sent to other players, for example calling for backup or ordering an air strike

What, now I understand why the people were screaming in the latest N-Gage ad. It even showed pics from this game as well.

I was just perplexed as to why they would be yelling for no reason (I'm pretty sure voice communication wasn't covered in the ad) and simply thought it was some cheap marketing gimmick. Kinda neat to know that it was actually advertising a very cool feature.

snapty00

Banned
I'd buy an N-Gage:

-If they fixed the interface and made it closer to a console in terms of control
-Gave the screen about twice as much horizontal resolution
-Sold it for $150 without rebates or any other strings attached
-Got more exclusive, non-Activision/EA support

Chittagong

Gold Member
Project Midway said:
I tried the demo, its really really good. No need to hate this game.

edit: btw, here's some new N-gage vids for "all" the N-Gage fans here at GAF:

CMR 2005 (looks like a port from PC's CMR2)
Worms (GPRS multiplayer)
SSX: Out of Bounds
Fifa 2005
WWE Aftershock
Requiem of Hell
Asphalt

credits go to www.n-page.de

Hey, good to have you back! I was afraid you started to enjoy OA all too much to ever return to NeoGAF!

By the way, there is actually a demo version of PTG is available (not sure if you refered to that or a press version) in www.pathwaytoglory.com, features one single player and one multiplayer level.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This game looks extremely promising. This is the type of game that I hope hits the NDS from time to time.

IgeL

This is also the first time Nokia announced the developer of the game... nobody was surprised, though. :)

I hope Nokia gets N-Gage 2 out soon. I just can't play on that small screen. PtG is good but the screen size tries to interfere with the enjoyment.

Cimarron

wow this is an absolutely amazing set of features. This is the first time since the the sega nomad that i have been actually excited about purchasing a handheld. too bad folks aren't giving this thing a chance. it seems phenomenal.

Top Bottom