• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PR] Valve Opens Counter-Strike Source Beta

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Phase 1 of the Counter-Strike: Source beta has opened at cyber cafes that subscribe to the Valve Cyber Café Program. A full listing of those venues can be found here: http://www.steampowered.com/?area=cafe_directory

Later this month, the beta will be extended to owners of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and ATI\Half-Life 2 video card bundle owners.

Anyone tried the game yet? There's a place about 4 miles from here that's on the Cyber Cafe program...tempting..

Hey what's the deal with the bundle program? I sent my stuff in when I bought my 9600 like almost a year ago and I never heard anything since. I just wanna make sure I'm actually getting my free half-life2.

SantaC

mattx5 said:
I don't mean to be rude, but hasn't this been posted like 4-5 times already over the past two days?

probably, but CS was a damn fun game back in the days.I might start to play it again with a facelift and some new stuff.

mattx5

Yeah, I definitely can't wait to get my hands on this. Counterstrike's core gameplay has remained awesome over the years, but the graphics were in desperate need of a revamp, and now it's finally getting one, as well as a whole new physics engine.

=)

golem

http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2449&st=90

ragdoll..
css4.jpg

mattx5

I didn't check the other screens yet, I'll go check them now :)

Edit - While the screens show off the player models, it's obvious that the game wasn't running on an ultra powerful PC.

I can't wait to see this running on my x800 ;)

Izzy

Banned
WTF? Only the models look improved over CS1, and even they're not much impressive. Half Life 2 looks much better than this shit. Original CS looked at least on par with HL 1. This is a bloody disgrace.

hey SantaCruZer, what kind of machine were those pics taken on? i see 42 fps being displayed on one of those pics.

anyone have performance impressions? thanks.

Claus

Banned
Was expecting a little more detail on the character model textures. They just look like the original CS models with an upped poly count.

SantaC

crawlingpeter said:
hey SantaCruZer, what kind of machine were those pics taken on? i see 42 fps being displayed on one of those pics.

anyone have performance impressions? thanks.

quoting from the one who took the pics:

My first impression is not good. First thing I noticed is when I go into my controls you can only bind 1 key per option. Example: I usually play with my jump key as space bar and mouse 3. In beta you can only have it either spacebar or mouse3. I was really disappointed in the graphics. There isn’t an option for OpenGL

pen4 2.66, 1 gig DDR 3200, Geforce FX 5600 XT 256mb

http://www.gotfrag.com/cs/threads/92679/

Well obviously this is a beta, and the graphics card he run it with doesn't have Dx9 capabilties.

mint

Banned
I'm sure the graphics were at that lvl on purpose. Theres a whole butt load of CS players out there..not everyone has a 3.4+ ghz 1gig DDR etc etc :\

SantaCruZer said:
what's the deal witht he ATI thing? Can't you get with a geforce as well?

Some ATI cards were bundled with a Half-life 2 voucher. Those who have these vouchers will be able to participate in the beta (Along with Condition Zero owners).

Top Bottom