• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-order Power-Up! AKA Kobun Heat's book.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Damn it, why couldn't you stay banned. Back on the list you go.

Congrats on the publishing, KH.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's real? i figured he just talked about writing a book. as people do. cool that he actually got it written and published. the title's pretty awful, though.

drohne said:
it's real? i figured he just talked about writing a book. as people do. cool that he actually got it written and published. the title's pretty awful, though.
We had a better one... a much better one. But in the end, we had to pick something else. This was, ultimately, the best of the bunch. I don't think Steve Kent was happy with "The Ultimate History Of Video Games," either, but you kind of learn to live with it...

nubbe

Kobun Heat said:
Sex in Games: Rez+Vibrator

Boy Writes Apology in Blood for Dozing in Class
A Japanese teenager was forced by his teacher to write an apology in blood after dozing in the classroom, the school's principal said on Monday.

A $5,000, high-tech toilet
A Japanese toilet maker is introducing a high-tech $5,000 toilet to the U.S. market, according to a published report.

Man Lies Dead in Apartment for 20 Years
The pajama-clad skeleton of a Japanese man has been found in a vacant apartment building -- 20 years after his lonely death.

8bit

Knows the Score
Kobun Heat said:
We had a better one... a much better one. But in the end, we had to pick something else. This was, ultimately, the best of the bunch. I don't think Steve Kent was happy with "The Ultimate History Of Video Games," either, but you kind of learn to live with it...

What was the original title?

Oh, and wasn't the Steven Kent title the byline, but the book was called Game Over?

belgurdo

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Pay money to see him fellate Nintendo?

No thanks.

It's better to stand behind a company that has been entertaining millions for over 100 years than a game that maybe 10 people have played

8bit said:
What was the original title?

Oh, and wasn't the Steven Kent title the byline, but the book was called Game Over?

The original title was "The First Quarter." Get it? The first quarter as in 25 cents that you put into a game, and the first quarter as in the first 25 years of video games. Kinda clever - way better than the modified version, anyway.

Information on the original title, whoever wrote the foreword, and the IGN position is all currrently on a need-to know basis and I don't feel comfortable discussing any of it in public. I know that sounds like kind of a douchebag thing to say, but a lot of people read GAF.

Steve's original book title was "The First Quarter." Which I really, really like. I've got the original version, of course, with that title.

impirius

bobbyconover said:
The original title was "The First Quarter." Get it? The first quarter as in 25 cents that you put into a game, and the first quarter as in the first 25 years of video games. Kinda clever - way better than the modified version, anyway.
Man.. I can understand the decision to change it to something more accessible, but for anyone who get it, "The First Quarter" is an awesome subtitle.

I'll wait till it hits $9.99.

That's being generous.

EB should have it for 1¢ like they did Game Over! after a few months.

You got to read it already?

It's Kobunheat.

I expect nothing less than Game Over 2! Electric Boogaloo, from the point of view of a hive mind Nintendo fan. Particularly with that obnoxious title.

Teddman

powerup_cover.jpg

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Amazon doesn't have it in their database yet, but I'll post a link once that happens. It's possible they could have it cheaper since they love to slash prices on everything.

Buy.This.Book.

JasoNsider said:
Congratulations on the book Chris. I'll be sure to pick it up. How long was it in the making?
I had the concept around October 2001, and the oldest bits of writing that appear in the book were done around Christmas of that year, as I began the first drafts of my graduation thesis. So by the time it comes out, it'll have been in the works for about three years.

No, I didn't write the book on fisheries management. I bet everybody in my family is going to be asking this, too.

jedimike said:
If it's as inciteful as his "Xbox Love Pillow" story, I'll be avoiding this novel like the plague.

Woo-hoo! That's two down.

Ah, this has definitely been in the works for a long time then. Did you happen to get access to company heads or designers for interviews? Is the book's theme pretty much self-explanatory or is there more to it than the title leads to believe?

JasoNsider said:
Ah, this has definitely been in the works for a long time then. Did you happen to get access to company heads or designers for interviews? Is the book's theme pretty much self-explanatory or is there more to it than the title leads to believe?
Although things do proceed in a roughly chronological order, it's more like a collection of shorter pieces all focused around a common theme. There are a lot of face-to-face interviews that went into this, yes. Not nearly on the level of Steve Kent's 300-odd interviews.

Anyway, more information is forthcoming. I'm trying to stick to Brady's schedule, but you'll definitely be hearing much, much more about the book in the weeks leading up to its release.

JasoNsider said:
Good stuff. Make sure to keep us informed!
I'm just shocked that nobody has called out OMG TEH VIRAL MARKETING! yet.

By the way, we are in all seriousness talking about that; how to get messageboard discussion of the book going. I made it pretty clear, though, that I didn't want to see any messages on random boards that are like 'omg check out this awesome new book its the bomb really' and then you trace the IP back to bradygames.com. Luckily they said they'd never do something so retarded.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Congrats Kobun! I have always wanted to write a book of some sorts myself!!! Don't forget the little people...like the guy who gave you your tag! :)

Again Congrats!

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Blackace said:
Congrats Kobun! I have always wanted to write a book of some sorts myself!!! Don't forget the little people...like the guy who gave you your tag! :)

Again Congrats!

Off topic, but... any chance you'll hit up that tag thread again anytime soon? ;)

Andy787

Banned
Congrats on getting published, it must feel awesome. I'll pick the book up whenever it comes out. I really should pick up Steven Kent's book while I'm at it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Kobun Heat said:
By the way, we are in all seriousness talking about that; how to get messageboard discussion of the book going. I made it pretty clear, though, that I didn't want to see any messages on random boards that are like 'omg check out this awesome new book its the bomb really' and then you trace the IP back to bradygames.com. Luckily they said they'd never do something so retarded.
Good job. *thumbs-up*

Top Bottom