• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prescription sunglasses aka Wayfarers, Aviators?

Prescription sunglasses aka Wayfarers, Aviators? That is my question. First of all, it's getting to be the end of the year and I need to use up that yearly insurance allowance. As a glasses wearer I've never owned prescription shades. I know Ray-ban is owned by the Italian mafioso Luxottixa as are most "luxury brands" brands. I've admitted to myself to use my benefits, I'm stuck with a conglomerate monopolistic company if I want to get value for my insurance premium. Coastal/Zenni etc are great and I actually daily wear a pair I got on deep discount before I had coverage but they don't take insurance.

So based on trends and your experiences, for a pair of sunglasses used for driving mostly (long Midwest winters), what will suit me the best? For convenience the folding Wayfarers seem good. For coverage for my rather large melon the Aviatiors sound like a fine choice, and the classic wayfarers along with the new variety would be fine choices too.

Are there better choices for eye sunwear? I am a young guy and don't think I want the sport shades that cyclists and other athletes use.

Lance-Armstrong-signals-h-008.jpg

Do I attempt to spring for things like polycarbonate, anti-glare, polarization upgrades.

Wayfarer-folding.jpg

Vs.

$_35.JPG

Top Bottom