• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prescription sunglasses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got new frames and didn't get transitions for the first time in about 15 years. I never really thought about it but my wife informed me that they're apparently really dorky in a socks-with-sandals sort of way.

I got the eyeglasses about a week ago, it took awhile to get used to the brightness and glare I hadn't had to deal with in a decade and a half, but I like them. It's nice not having to look ridiculous for the first ten minutes or so after walking into a building.

I just got the sunglasses too and I really like them too, they're way darker than the transitions got and I couldn't have had aviators with transition lenses. Obviously they're not as convenient though.

What are you supposed to do with prescription sunglasses? You can't really hook them on your shirt collar and swap them for your regular glasses unless you want to look more ridiculous than the transitions. Some of the time I have a backpack with me so I can just carry a case and switch them out but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them for stuff like going to the store.

It'd be different if my prescription was weaker but I'm like half blind with glasses.

dejay

Banned
I have prescription sunglasses I use for driving but rarely use them for other things, although I will wear them to specific things if I pack a bag for such an outing.

I gave up on contacts years ago. I also dislike transitions. Hats and caps help keep the sun out of your eyes.

I keep them in my car. I got them specifically for driving, though. I don't really think I look good in sunglasses so I never wear them around.

DJ_Lae

I have a pair of custom prescription sunglasses that I wear occasionally - you're right in that it's a bit weird switching between the pairs, so I generally just keep them on indoors if I go shopping (I dropped the tint to 70% or so knowing this). Yeah, I guess I'm one of those people who occasionally wears sunglasses indoors, but I have an excuse in that I can't see shit without them and the hell if I'm going to keep the other pair tucked into the collar of my shirt or carry a man-purse to keep them in.

Usually they just get worn when I'm out in the backyard or going to the park with the kids. I just got a cheap aviator-type frame knockoff online and dumped some tinted/UV lenses in them.

Kimaxe

Sunglasses in the pocket/jacket and prescription glasses in the case. Depends on where you're from and where you buy them, but now the last transition (out last summer) become almost like a normal lens after ~10 seconds, and gets as dark as classic sunglasses.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I have prescription sunglasses I use for driving but rarely use them for other things, although I will wear them to specific things if I pack a bag for such an outing.
One and done. I leave mine in a case in my car. I take them out if I need to.

I finally got my first pair of prescription sunglasses.I got them with Rayban frames. They look great. I keep them in the car and basically only use them if I'm driving in sunny times for a long time, if I hang outside and it's sunny, or when I go to the park with me dog during the day.

Sunglasses in the pocket/jacket and prescription glasses in the case. Depends on where you're from and where you buy them, but now the last transition (out last summer) become almost like a normal lens after ~10 seconds, and gets as dark as classic sunglasses.
How much better are they from the prior model? I got transitions about a year and a half ago and I was shocked how dark the sunglasses are. If I close the shades in my apartment I can barely see with them on.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
I have Black, Tortoise shell, silver and blue Wayfarers. I have them also in clear glass. I bring a hard case and switch or keep it in my GF purse.

Couldn't live without them.

What's the problem with transition glasses? I like mine and don't see anything dorky about it - certainly better than when I used to pay for and deal with another pair just for sunglasses. Haters gonna hate.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's the problem with transition glasses? I like mine and don't see anything dorky about it - certainly better than when I used to pay for and deal with another pair just for sunglasses. Haters gonna hate.

Ehh...they are the glasses equivalent of cargo shorts. They may be functional, but they look dorky. This is all my opinion of course.

My wife really needs to spend money on a pair of prescription sunglasses, I like her in glasses but she always has to wear contacts so that she can use her sunglasses.

Ehh...they are the glasses equivalent of cargo shorts. They may be functional, but they look dorky. This is all my opinion of course.

My wife really needs to spend money on a pair of prescription sunglasses, I like her in glasses but she always has to wear contacts so that she can use her sunglasses.

Cargo shorts and a hard case. Toss them in the big pocket when I go inside.

I was gonna say...

I own two pair of sunglasses with prescription lenses. Ray-Ban Wayfarer & Oliver Peoples Public School. I keep them both in their cases, and in the glove box of my car. I wear them when I'm driving mostly. If I know I'm going to be outdoors for a bit, I'll keep them in the purse of my significant other and switch them out when needed.

I don't wear them, but I don't see anything wrong with transition lenses. I think the dork-factor comes more from the frames, rather than the lenses.

xxracerxx

I don't wear them, but I don't see anything wrong with transition lenses. I think the dork-factor comes more from the frames, rather than the lenses.

For me the dork-factor comes from when the lighting conditions make it so the lenses are in between clear and dark.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats on not getting lame transitions.

I keep my warby parker prescription sunglasses in the car, but I'm getting used to wearing them normally outside during the day.

xxracerxx

Congrats on not getting lame transitions.

I keep my warby parker prescription sunglasses in the car, but I'm getting used to wearing them normally outside during the day.

How are the Warby glasses? Do they feel cheap?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
How are the Warby glasses? Do they feel cheap?

I got the Warby Crossfield aviators. Honestly, as someone who used to wear Ray Bans, I feel they're about the same. I don't think I'd go back to paying more than 200$ for prescription sunglasses.

If you go with sturdier, thick framed models like wayfarers, I don't think you'd feel a difference.

Kimaxe

How much better are they from the prior model? I got transitions about a year and a half ago and I was shocked how dark the sunglasses are. If I close the shades in my apartment I can barely see with them on.

Less dependant on temperature, goes from almost 0 to third category (like your sunglasses), and a bit faster, and it's Transition VII. But the best one IMO is the xtractive because thanks to magic it works when you're in your car.

Options are a lot more limited with sunglasses if your want your prescription on them.

I opt for the contacts + sunglasses combo

Options are a lot more limited with sunglasses if your want your prescription on them.

I opt for the contacts + sunglasses combo
The eye touching thing has always turned me off, but I'm considering trying them out the next time I need new frames.

Although it might be because I've worn them for so long, but I think I look really stupid without glasses.

Dougald

What are you supposed to do with prescription sunglasses? You can't really hook them on your shirt collar and swap them for your regular glasses unless you want to look more ridiculous than the transitions. Some of the time I have a backpack with me so I can just carry a case and switch them out but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them for stuff like going to the store.

Meh, I just do this if I don't have a bag (normally have a bag, or I'm wearing contact lenses). I'm a huge nerd anyway so I don't really care if I look like one

The eye touching thing has always turned me off, but I'm considering trying them out the next time I need new frames.

Although it might be because I've worn them for so long, but I think I look really stupid without glasses.

You do get used to it. The hesitancy towards eye contact goes away fairly quickly. I'm not a full time user though and prefer my glasses more often than not. You can't get any fancy two tone shades with a prescription from what I remember (unless that's changed?).

The second thing is definitely something I've noticed despite not being entirely dependent on corrective lenses I've worn them so much being outside the house feels freaking weird. I keep touching the bridge of my nose and there's nothing there.

Mohonky

I have a pair of Oakley Fast Jackets for my prescription sunnies, they are designed so that you can switch out the lenses, but I couldnt be bothered spending another $300 for a second pair of clear lenses.

I've found they are excellent for keeping the sun out, no glare, everything looks way better with them on and yet, they are easily wearable indoors. They aren't transition lenses so I have no idea why they aren't too dark for indoors but they just aren't. So if I'm out I just leave them on if I need to read something etc. if I need them to see something and someone gives me a quizzical look I just say 'oh these are prescription, I'm not trying to be rude' and they get it.

Wrap around prescriptions are fucking weird initially though, feels like your walking around with really drunk for the first 2 weeks, I was thinking I would never be able to get used to them, they made me want to hurl, but after the initial weirdness, I would never go with another pair of glasses again. Completely keeps the sun out and I get way more peripheral vision.

Basically the same as mine except my lenses are more blue

9368685459_a4b00dddf6_b.jpg

My experience with transitions was that they are completely shit. They never go dark enough unless you focus them toward direct sunlight for awhile, then when you put them on again, they gradually go back to a point where they don't cut out enough light again. Had them for work on a construction site, in the end I just opted for regular tinted safety glasses because I was still getting so much glare with the transitions I couldnt see shit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I always have a bag with me so they stay in the case in my bag.

Transitions suck for driving though. Most vehicle glass blocks UV rays so they dont get darker in the car, that's a problem. Outside, no problem. I hated my transitions and now have 2 pair - one regular and the other sunglasses. Love em both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom