• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Price Drop Rumor

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I came across a price drop from a source I cannot mention, but its a retail chain
They got signs for xbox that say 129.99. They were told to hold until further notice

Could MS be dropping the price of the system?
They were offical looking signs

Could it have something to do with August 24th?

Could Sony Follow? or lead?

Tenguman

If true, I guess MS figures the only way they can keep up with sony on a monthly basis is to be priced lower than the PS2 (judging from that one month where this was the case).

Kind of a shitty position considering how much an xbox costs to make.

Sept seems like a better time for a price drop though.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Suikoguy said:
I came across a price drop from a source I cannot mention, but its a retail chain
They got signs for xbox that say 129.99. They were told to hold until further notice

Could MS be dropping the price of the system?
They were offical looking signs

Could it have something to do with August 24th?

Could Sony Follow? or lead?
retail places usually stock up on signage like that in expectation of a price drop. it doesn' confirm or deny any immediate drop, but one would imagine it could come at any time.

gamestops started shipping out $149.99 system price banners over a year ago if memory serves me correctly.

TheDiave

Banned
My theory is it will be $99 for a PS2 or Xbox by Christmas '05... But I have nothing to say on the subject of a drop to $129.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Have they commented on whether or not they've been satisfied with the sales spike the system has seen since it dropped to $149.99? Dropping to $129.99 would be a good move, but it doesn't seem entirely necessary unless they're dead set on trying to outsell PS2 for the final months of the year.

AniHawk

If it does, I wonder if they'll do the two game demo + 2 months of XBL thing again. With Halo 2 coming, they wouldn't really need to.

FightyF

Banned
If Halo 2 supports system link co-op, and the price drop does occur...getting a second one is a no brainer.

AniHawk

I would think 2 free games, and Halo 2's release (maybe a price drop for Halo, too) would do more than what MS would need to move systems.

Might piss people off who get their Xbox this year at $150 and then Xenon comes out for $300 more the year after. I can see where a $130 pricetag would help.

Ranger X

I guess it's possible that they drop the price of the Xbox again. After all, they have to sell the rest of their production to sell you some Xbox2 as soon as possible...

Joe

if true, maybe its part of halo2's marketing? i mean you lower the system price it does make the game THAT more attractive to people on the fence.

I agree. Killing off the system so quickly just because a newer one is hitting the market isn't the most sound of business decisions. Regardless of the losses they incur with each XBOX 1 sold, they make that up almost immediately from peripheral/software sales that must accompany the system purchase -- who buys just the console without any extra hardware or software? I still think you'll see XBOX 1 around and being supported until '07-'08. There's just too much installed base to ignore...too much money left on the table. Besides, this isn't some obscure, buggy software-something that MS can silently wash their hands of...this is a tangible, high profile piece of consumer hardware. Doing what many suggest will happen is a potentially disastrous act that can only bring more harm than good to MS.

To what? $79? Nintendo needs to just promote the system with the right titles better and more often. If they paste themselves all over RE4 and MP2, they'll have done more positive movement for their console than just simply dropping the already bottom-scraping pricepoint they're at now, IMHO.

cvxfreak

Nintendo has learned this generation that games alone just aren't strong enough to push systems. Price needs to be a factor and Nintendo would do well with another one. $79 + a free PC game would be a good promotion.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CVXFREAK said:
Nintendo has learned this generation that games alone just aren't strong enough to push systems. Price needs to be a factor and Nintendo would do well with another one. $79 + a free PC game would be a good promotion.

Lmao, I know its a typo but its funny!
Free Copy of Doom 3 or Halflife with a Gamecube!

DCharlie said:
will/can sony follow suit?

I think they definetly could if they wanted too. I just don't think they will. They've got plenty of software to carry them through this year with high sales. So there's no real reason for them to do another pricedrop so soon.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Do you think that because consoles seem to be dropping prices left and right this gen, we will see MS or Nintendo...heck even Sony try to launch their next gen system at a lower price than expected?

ourumov

I thought they would drop to 99$/€....Well I can wait...As someone said they had to liquidate all those stocks...

Suikoguy

Blackace said:
Do you think that because consoles seem to be dropping prices left and right this gen, we will see MS or Nintendo...heck even Sony try to launch their next gen system at a lower price than expected?

Actually, I think the hesitation to 149.99 means the oposite

Blackace said:

I can only see Nintendo doing something like that. Mainly because it'll probably be more barebones than either of the other systems. Both of them will already be taking a financial hit on the systems so I can't see either Sony or MS taking anymore to get a cheaper pricetag on the system.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Suikoguy said:
Actually, I think the hesitation to 149.99 means the oposite

But they still did it... I mean MS was and is still losing money on their system, as is the PS2.... People say Nintendo is making on their system... but I have not seen any numbers on that as of late. I am sure from a business standpoint dropping the price on something already losing money had something to do with the hesitation. But even with that being said, maybe one of them will see that the market isn't real good for 3 consoles... so maybe one of them will try to force one into a bad position by launching at a decent price...

cvxfreak

Jacobi said:
Is a GC price drop or new bundle expected this year (in Europe) ?

It's 50/50 in all territories. In the USA, Nintendo may drop the price again in the fall to $79 or the boundaries. In Japan, I really hope it hits 10,900 Yen or something as the GameCube out there is severely overpriced compared to the USA. In Europe, which is more in line with the USA than with Japan (of course), it'll happen when the USA drops happen.

I also think Nintendo is planning an SP price drop in the coming months to help fully launch the DS. Hopefully it drops to $79 in the US, and 9800 Yen in Japan (I'm not sure about Europe's price). The original GBA should be at around $49 in the US and 6800 Yen in Japan to keep in line with the price of the DS, which should be $150-170 and about 19,000 Yen.

puck1337

BeOnEdge said:
you wish. and the have 2 christmasses left. i say 129 is the holiday price.
Yeah, yeah. I know. It just seems a bit bizarre to have a $20 price drop when the system is already selling well and will continue to through the holidays. I think they'll stay at 149 unless they're being absolutely destroyed by Sony.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
puck1337 said:
Yeah, yeah. I know. It just seems a bit bizarre to have a $20 price drop when the system is already selling well and will continue to through the holidays. I think they'll stay at 149 unless they're being absolutely destroyed by Sony.

I doubt this rumor very much. I think it's business as usual. Sony has destroyed them, they've destroyed everyone and not much is going to change, one month or two besides. I filled in this week at my buddy's store at night and it was like living through the NPD haha. Sold out of all PS2 new, a couple of Xbox are left (everyone buys Halo with it), barely sold any GC's (even though a lot of Tales sold, we didn't sell any with new systems.) Everyone reserves Madden, Halo and GTA...in that order.

Insertia

Blackace said:
But they still did it... I mean MS was and is still losing money on their system, as is the PS2....

Actually, PS2 is the only console that isn't being sold at a loss (according NPD).

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
Actually, PS2 is the only console that isn't being sold at a loss (according NPD).
According to Webrush, not NPD. And their estimates are rather suspect... even with their estimates PS2 would sell at a loss (for Sony to retail).

Ranger X

DCharlie said:
will/can sony follow suit?

are MS playing chicken with them a bit?

I wasn't serious on my first post but i asked myself this question too. I think it's possible because it could be intentional of Microsoft to taunt Sony and Nintendo to rush them in the next gen before they really are ready. I think Sony could do it because they just started to speak a bit more about their launch coincidentally since a couple months. But Nintendo probably wouldn't be taunted and would stay quiet with the look of "wtf with you guys?" in their face.

Blackace said:

That would be interesting. Or something like "Save 50$ on your pre-order of Xbox2 and/or PS3" --- they would sell ALOT more.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Blackace said:
Price drops almost appear to be driving sales this gen. I see the hardware launching at a higher price to make room for more price drops. Especially the Xbox2, if it launches in 2005.

Us early adapters will be willing to pay more because we can't control ourselves. We may whine, complain, and write scathing posts on several internet forums, but in the end, we'll bend over and take it, and then, like a good little fanboy, ask for more. You know I'm right... all of you. ;)

Top Bottom