• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prices of Wii games confirmed? Hints of the launch line-up

Jetku

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ragments/product/olslinelistingsortfilter.jsp

Bestbuy.com lists ALL of their Wii games at 49.99 each! No online store would list at a lower price than they plan to sell it for. Normally a store lists a higher place holder price, until the prices are confirmed from the publisher.. This must mean that the publishers have confirmed 50 dollar price tags

Also...

Gamestop.com lists several as well (including EA games) at a 49.99

This may be a good indication (gamestop's site) of which games will be launch, since gamestop is usually more cautious with pricing and timing than best buy is.

http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?...=&platform=34&find.x=14&find.y=15&find=Search

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BrandNew said:
I am very shocked by this news!

Me too!

Is that how internet sites work???

On a side note, I did buy a James Bond game when EbGames.com started offering PS2 preorders for 39.99. I don't think it came out at launch...or near launch.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Did you expect Wii games to cost $59.99 or something?

Well Zelda and Metroid will definitely have bigger development costs and teams than a lot of 360 games you are being charged 59.99 for.

JCX

I know the opinion of EB games and gamestop, but I went to EB today and they had a Wii game preorder list and the only game over $49.99 was COD3 which was $59.99. The guy there also said it launches November 7.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JCX9 said:
I know the opinion of EB games and gamestop, but I went to EB today and they had a Wii game preorder list and the only game over $49.99 was COD3 which was $59.99. The guy there also said it launches November 7.

he lied to you.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
If Madden for the Wii ends up being $60, I might as well just cancel my pre-order for the game and get the Xbox 360 version instead for the same price, plus the obviously better graphics and achievements it will feature.

Wii games for $34.99-$39.99 would be nice. Afterall, isn't the development costs of Wii games much less than the development costs of PS3 and X360 games?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Rhazer Fusion said:
Wii games for $34.99-$39.99 would be nice. Afterall, isn't the development costs of Wii games much less than the development costs of PS3 and X360 games?
Just like people keep saying it does not cost much more to develop games on next generation systems, it does not cost much less to develop full games on Wii. Given that the price of next generation games are higher at retail then current generation games as well, standard Wii games likely will still cost $50. That said, I full expect smaller games like Wii Sports to be cheaper, like $20-30 or something.

Rhazer Fusion said:

For the average game, it should be cheaper to develop for than the PS3/360. But, current gen games are going for 39.99-49.99. Gamecube Turbo jokes aside, Wii games will generally cost more to develop than the average PS2/Gamecube/Xbox title.

$39.99 sounds fair to me though.
$59.99 for any but the most amazing games is too much for me on any system. I know games used to be really expensive in the cartridge days, but the difference is we're using discs now, being microtransactioned to death, there's many more items fighting for my entertainment dollars, and the used game market is huge.

360's high tie-ratios go against my line of thinking though. :(

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
sp0rsk said:
3rd party games 49 nintendo 39

sp0rsks has seen the future.
Iwata said Nintendo games would have different prices according to the investment they put in it. Epic games such as Zelda or Metroïd will sell at a higher price than a game like Wii Sports for instance.

bumpkin

brandonh83 said:
I'll only buy Wii games at $4.99 due to the mega graphical downgrade.

with another 9 following the 4
I'm too tired this morning to be nice...

Why don't you go beat off to some Killzone renders? :lol

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I think with Wii we will see a very abroad range of prices. :)

Edit. Like on the DS.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Perhaps the "ACTUAL BOX ART PENDING" banners above each one are clues to your stealthy mystery.

Link1110

Well Zelda and Metroid will definitely have bigger development costs and teams than a lot of 360 games you are being charged 59.99 for.

And unless the 360 game has "GTA" "Halo" or "Madden" in the title, the Wii game will sell a ton more, too, so the volume makes up for the price tag.

LOcKY

ive always noticed activision games seem to be much more expensive than everyone else.. why is that?

i remember there was a comment ages about DS Games wont cost more than £29.99 then all of a sudden Spiderman was £34.99 i mean WTF?

Soybean

Makes me wonder, though, is it fair to expect lower-priced games? Please correct me if I'm off-base, but I would think that development costs are about the same whether the graphics are great or not. You've still got AI, and art, and music, and all that stuff. I wouldn't think graphics would create a huge variance in the budget, but what do I know?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I was expecting 39.99, but I was wrong.

So much for trying to make the system fun and accessible. I'm still buying, but $40 would have made a difference.

mug

sp0rsk said:
3rd party games 49 nintendo 39

sp0rsks has seen the future.
I see now.

:p

Except Nintendo games will be $49.99 (Mario Tennis, etc.) Will games also be made using the GC discs or does that require the use of the GC controller?

Meier

Why in the world would any of you expect them to cost less than the $50 that PS2, GCN and Xbox games cost? They might be cheaper to develop than a 360 or PS3 title, but it's not like they're going to be markedly cheaper than developing last gen. A price decrease is naturally out of the question.

Pellham

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
I was expecting 39.99, but I was wrong.

So much for trying to make the system fun and accessible. I'm still buying, but $40 would have made a difference.

Maybe so but when your competitors are releasing $60 games, that $50 makes a big difference in consumer mindset.

Top Bottom