• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince’s Music Coming to Apple Music and Amazon, Purple Ads Hint at Return to Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since July 2015, the Purple One’s back catalog has been exclusively available to stream on Tidal

Pitchfork said:
Sources tell Pitchfork that Prince’s music will be available on Apple Music and Amazon Music very soon, ending a nearly two-year absence of the Purple One’s back catalog from all streaming services besides Tidal. In addition, this morning, advertisements featuring the Spotify logo bathed in purple appeared in the Union Square subway station in Manhattan, as Billboard points out. This seems to hint that Prince’s music will soon return to Spotify as well, adding fuel to recent rumors that the Purple One's back catalog would be widely available on streaming services in time for the Grammys, which take place Sunday, February 12. (Prince's music has been exclusively available to stream on Tidal since July 2015.)

03-spotify-purple-2017-billboard-embed.jpg

I don't know exactly how to feel. I mean, personally I own every Prince album, but this would make listening to them that much easier. On the other hand, I don't think that Prince himself would have okayed this...so maybe they just should respect whatever his stance was on it before he died, or at least until some amount of time has passed. Kind of torn here.

Snagret

Feels kinda bad knowing how much he would've hated this, but it'll be nice to listen to his music in the same library with the rest of my stuff.

As much as I'd like to have easier access to Prince's catalog, the man made it very clear how he felt about his music being on the internet, and I feel kind of bad hearing that it's happening this way.

Alphahawk

Prince probably wouldn't of caared really. I'd imagine he signed an exclusive 2 year agreement with Tidal and it just ran out.

Prince probably wouldn't of caared really. I'd imagine he signed an exclusive 2 year agreement with Tidal and it just ran out.

I read this as "I'd imagine he signed an exclusive 2 year agreement with Tidal and just ran out" imagining Prince signing the contract and then literally walking out of the meeting room without even saying bye.

And it wouldn't even have been ooc.

Just having it on Tidal was basically the same as not having it on the Internet. Typical great decision by Prince to hide it away from the majority of the world.

DOWN

Banned
I'm confused why people are saying he was against this and yet he signed a deal with Tidal

LionPride

Banned
I already have his entire discography, but I welcome this on Spotify

Get to listen to his best album on Spotify

Sign O' The Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom