• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: WW delayed two weeks

LukeSmith

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111659.html

"On November 9, Halo 2 will hit the market. The following week, Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Need for Speed Underground 2, Call of Duty: Finest Hour, and GoldenEye: Rogue Agent will all pack store shelves simultaneously.

Given the volume of titles coming out that week--and the limited budgets of most gamers--it was probably a good idea that Ubisoft decided to push back the release date of Prince of Persia: Warrior Within by two weeks. Originally scheduled for a November 15 release, the sequel to the acclaimed Ubisoft adventure Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is now slated to ship on November 30. Darker and more violent that its predecessor, the game is rated "M" for Mature, and will be available for PC, Xbox, GameCube, and PlayStation 2.

For more information on Prince of Persia, check out GameSpot's previous coverage. "

Thoughts?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
This doesn't affect me in the slightest way. I'm still gonna pick it up in March for $20. Heck, it might drop even quicker now that its missing out on those Thanksgiving Day sales.

Soul4ger

TheGreenGiant said:
either way. DOOMED. I predict weaksauce sales. I for one am not going back for seconds til the game is like $20

See, I kinda agree...

I really want the game, but if the last one was any indication, and Beyond Good & Evil as well, PoP2 should either be free with some other game purchase in a month, or it'll be $30. I think it'll do decently, better than Prince of Persia: SoT, but I don't think it'll light anything up enough to warrant a $50 tag for more than three months. What to do, what to do...

Soul4ger said:
See, I kinda agree...

I really want the game, but if the last one was any indication, and Beyond Good & Evil as well, PoP2 should either be free with some other game purchase in a month, or it'll be $30. I think it'll do decently, better than Prince of Persia: SoT, but I don't think it'll light anything up enough to warrant a $50 tag for more than three months. What to do, what to do...

a) Play HALO 2

b) Play MP2E

and wait for you side of POP2 at $20. It WILL Happen. Make it so.

Mrbob

I swear I thought this game was priced at 40 bucks sometime?

50 dollars is outrageous considering the quality competition. 40 is pushing it. 30 would be adequate and 20 is acceptable. Oh well I'll wait for the game to bomb and pick it up early next year at a discounted price. Maybe I can get Pandora Tommorrow again with it for 20 bucks.

This is sooo sad.

Most journalists are calling this GOTY contender quality and you guys say fuck it. Same as last year. Do you guys have no shame :D

Mrbob

sonycowboy said:
This is sooo sad.

Most journalists are calling this GOTY contender quality and you guys say fuck it. Same as last year. Do you guys have no shame :D

You said it all. Journalists are on crack, just like they were last year when they overrated PoP. :D

Deku Tree

sonycowboy said:

The last one was supposed to be GOTY quality too according to the same journalists, but I didn't agree. I'll buy it for $10-$20 eventually but it's just not worth more than that to me.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's still $40. i've got it paid off at gamerush, thanks to their absurd trade-in deals. i might otherwise have waited. it'll probably be great, but i'm still not sold on the visual style or the new focus on combat.

Mrbob

Hmm, weird.

I go to ebgames website and they jacked up all the prices to $49.99.

Gamestop still has the console versions at $39.99 but the PC version is now $49.99?

Deku Tree said:
The last one was supposed to be GOTY quality too according to the same journalists, but I didn't agree. I'll buy it for $10-$20 eventually but it's just not worth more than that to me.

IAWTP and MR Bob's. Especially the bit about GOTY quality. NO. UBisoft is the new king of retail software bOmb.

sagger%20explosion%20in%20front%20of%20btr%20slide.jpg

Ranger X

POPWW is alot better guys. It's more GOTY material than POPSOT. The journalists aren't on all that much crack this time actually.

Mrbob

Wyzdom said:
POPWW is alot better guys. It's more GOTY material than POPSOT. The journalists aren't on all that much crack this time actually.

I'd like to believe you, but the PC demo is totally ho hum.

Wyzdom said:

PLEASE FOR THE LAST TIME : STATE YOU WORK FOR UBISOFT when you're going to make that comment

DSN2K

to be honest when the rock music started in the demo I just laughed :lol

Im sorry for saying the same old crap over again but I really dont like what they have done to the game but im still going to get it at some point.

Mrbob

DSN2K said:
to be honest when the rock music started in the demo I just laughed :lol

Im sorry for saying the same old crap over again but I really dont like what they have done to the game but im still going to get it at some point.

Godsmack > you

:( :( :(

border

$30 with a Free copy of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.....by December 31. This game is a disaster waiting to happen.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Wyzdom said:
I have yet to see any conclusive proof to believe what you say.

Mrbob

In a way, I do feel sorry for UBI. Much of the slag on the sequel they take has been brought on by the reviewers who overhyped the first game. Now no one believes the reviews of the second game. The mediocre demo released didn't help things either. Maybe it is much better, but the combination of these factors:

1)Grossly overscoring the first game

2) Meh demo

3) Fact I spent 50 bones on PoP and felt ripped off especially after the insanely quick price drop

has me waiting until this game drops in price. Regardless of quality. I got burnt once buying the original at 50 bucks. I'm not getting burned again. Hype goes well pre release but you gotta have a game to back the hype.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Won't it still get majorly screwed on November 30th? I don't think two weeks will change the public's buying habits. It really seems like you have to be a huge selling franchise to survive this holiday. It's not like people will stop buying Halo 2 after November 9th.

shpankey

not an idiot
IMO POP: SoT was definately one of the best games I played this gen and was awesome save for a few probs. The main ones I had with it was it had too much lame ass fighting and I also thought the control wasn't very tight. It was kind of sloppy feeling... almost like there was som kind of laggy feel to the control. I think it was on purpose, like to make it realisitc or something, but honestly it was just bad feeling. Although I did get used to it. Lastly, the camera could sometimes (well, a lot actually) be fucked up and difficult to work with, but alas, this is a problem with all 3d games nowadays.

I loved the voice acting and the story in Sands of Time; loved the atmosphere and the platforming and the adventure feel and look to it. Liked the puzzles but wished there would have been much more of them and wished some of them would have been a lot harder and much more clever.

I can't say I like the direction the POP: WW is taking. I hate the dark look and feel, hate the music which doesn't at all jive with an adventure game. Hate the action and fighting because I heard it takes a front seat and has made the game into Prince Gaiden. I get all this from the crappy demo and of course previews etc. Hopefully the game will prove all that wrong though.

Will probably wait for bargain bin while instead playing Halo 2 a lot till that happens. ;)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Good or not, its facing far too much competition, combined with the fact that the first one didn't exactly light up the sales charts I think this is destined to fail.

If vaginas could cry they'd look like most of the posters in this thread.

IGN AND GAMESPOT RATED SANDS OF TIME 0.8 TO 1.3 POINTS HIGHER THAN I WOULD'VE GIVEN IT, AND THEN THE PRICE DROPPED RAPIDLY AFTER I PURCHASED THE VIDEOGAME YOU OWE ME UBISOFT AND I HOPE YOUR VIDEOGAME ROTS IN BARGAIN BIN HELL FOR ALL OF ETERNITY

It looks to be a fucking great game, if you're going to buy it when it's cheaper, then go right ahead, but quit being fucking whiney little bitches about it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
TBH, if they couldnt make POP a success last year, with the relatively weak christmas line up, how do they expect to turn things round this year? Bringing their game out a year to the day (GC release) after the first flop, when this time they have to compete with some of the biggest and most anticipated games ever on all four systems.

I dont think a rock soundtrack and some tats is gonna help them much. They would have been much better off holding the game back till march

Ranger X

I'm on Chaos Theory right now.

As for POP, the only real problem with the first POP imo is the combat system witch is getting much better in the second installment. I would not work for Ubi and my opinion would be the same. I'm just protecting the hive when it applies that's all. If i was hating POP, you wouldn't see me in it's threads.

oh yeah and stop that GOTY shit guys, there's no competition anymore, this title as been won on the 26th of October.

I dont think a rock soundtrack and some tats is gonna help them much.

Yeah, now that's pretty much my feelings on it. I thought Sands of Time was perhaps somewhat decent, but for this game all they've really pushed is "darker, more gore, more combat, more x-treme." Who knows, it might end up being a good game, but I'm not impressed with what's being pushed thus far. The "arabian nights" theme was something I could have seen catching on if they had simply fixed some of the fundamental problems, but it seems they decided to pick up and head the complete opposite direction.

Deepthroat said:
It is a very good game :)

10/10 - PSM US
9.6 - OXM US

No offense, but that's about as far from fact as can be. If you think I'm going to be trusting magazine reviews for a game dealing with "x-treme" themes, you can think again. They normally lap that stuff up like mad and I'm left wondering if I'm even playing the same game as them.

I'm waiting on people who played and hated POPSOT to review it. That way you get a sense of what's been improved and if the game is indeed better.

and POP1 could have been finished in like 8 hours. SHOCKING

Top Bottom