• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problem installing Half-Life 2

I keep getting this message when installing the game:

"Error 1334. The file 'base_source_shared_materials.gcf' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file "hl22.cab". This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Tried going to the support page at www.steampowered.com to find if they had any solutions to this problem, but couldn't find anything about it. Should I try returning the game for a new one? I assume that this might be difficult because of the CD-Key issues. :(

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
cvkpaladin said:
I keep getting this message when installing the game:

Tried going to the support page at www.steampowered.com to find if they had any solutions to this problem, but couldn't find anything about it. Should I try returning the game for a new one? I assume that this might be difficult because of the CD-Key issues. :(

It honestly seems like there's something wrong with the installation CD, be it an erroneous burn, has scratches, or whatever. If you've got another CD-ROM drive laying around, you may want to try it and see if it can install it without the error. Valve (and the place you bought it from) are responsible for replacing your copy of the game for the same one if the discs theirselves aren't functioning.

Ryu

Yup, can't seem to unlock the game either. What a smart fucking business decision this was. "We prevent piracy by preventing people from playing the game legitimately."

Bristow

Banned
I had a similiar problem. It gave me the errors that it couldn't read from the specified drive and then once I copied the files to my harddrive off the cd, it said it wasn't a valid windows installer.

I returned the game.

shibbs

I had some problems too. I installed it then it asked for the cd key, so i entered it.
Pressed next and i get an error that i have to install HL2 first :/

That happend 2 times, so i installed a new steam and now it seems to work.

error.jpg

Fuck Valve, seriously.

ced

Ah ha this is the thread to post my fucking frustations in, I did it in the "Official" thread.

I guess Im glad to know its not just me, or my connection as Steam tells me over and over and over.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I haven't played the game yet (due to school work), but I did install it and start it up to make sure it worked (just to the main menu).

It worked fine the first time, but later on, I wanted to check to see if there was a certain option in the menu so I tried to start it again. It told me that the game was not available at this time. :\ So, I came back 5 minutes later and it worked again.

Steam SUCKS.

epmode

dark10x said:
Hmm, I haven't played the game yet (due to school work), but I did install it and start it up to make sure it worked (just to the main menu).

It worked fine the first time, but later on, I wanted to check to see if there was a certain option in the menu so I tried to start it again. It told me that the game was not available at this time. :\ So, I came back 5 minutes later and it worked again.

Steam SUCKS.
yeah, this is really disappointing.

i have become a big fan of steam over the years, but if it can't handle the launch of valve's flagship game, something is seriously wrong. i expect this shit with mmorpg launches, not a single-player game.
ced said:
Is it possible there is a hacked .exe or something yet?
i'm pretty sure the game has been cracked already, but i don't know the details. i doubt it's as simple as replacing the exe..

dark10x

i'm pretty sure the game has been cracked already, but i don't know the details. i doubt it's as simple as replacing the exe..

Yeah, I've heard that HL2 has hit the net as well (in illegal form). Not suprised in the least...

Sad thing is, the pirates will likely have an easier time with the game than we will. Hell, since you don't actually need Steam running for the pirate version, it might even perform better...

epmode

dark10x said:
Hell, since you don't actually need Steam running for the pirate version, it might even perform better...
if it's anything like the cracked counterstrike, you do need steam running, it just fakes the authentication.

Belfast

I bet most of these problems are because Steam is getting hammered like a bitch right now. Yeah, it sucks, but it should clear up eventually. Me? I started preloading this afternoon...only about 6 more hours to go. :| But, I should've expected it to take that long. It did have trouble authenticating my purchase, but it eventually got through.

Unison

Belfast said:
I bet most of these problems are because Steam is getting hammered like a bitch right now. Yeah, it sucks, but it should clear up eventually. Me? I started preloading this afternoon...only about 6 more hours to go. :| But, I should've expected it to take that long. It did have trouble authenticating my purchase, but it eventually got through.

I don't see how that's acceptable, especially if you have the retail version...

skip

it took me about an hour and a half this morning to finally start playing the damn game. looks like I was fortunate, because jeff green from cgw still hasn't been able to authenticate.

steam is an abomination.

steam rox, screw the haters. If xbox had something like steam nobody would have been able to pirate Halo 2 or play it before Nov 9.

Steam rox.

This just plain sucks. They screw over the paying customer just so the game doesn't get pirated earlier. If I'm paying $50+ for a game, it sure as hell better be ready to go when I get home. This is inexcusable.

Unison

Doom_Bringer said:
steam rox, screw the haters. If xbox had something like steam nobody would have been able to pirate Halo 2 or play it before Nov 9.

I don't give a damn about whether or not pirates can play a game before me, but I sure as hell care if I can't play a game that I purchased. Please don't even try to defend this POS "service".

Bristow

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

Steam rox.

Yeah, fuck over people who bought the game so you can keep it from being played until a certain date. It didn't stop shit. The game has already been cracked and released onto the net.

epmode

Doom_Bringer said:

Steam rox.
i'd agree if so many people weren't having trouble just logging into the fucking service. bad form, valve.

Bregor

I happen to like Steam, but I'm sorry it's giving you troubles. I hope it is only due to heavy traffic and clears up soon for you.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Doom_Bringer said:

Steam rox.

And no one without Xboxlive would have been able to play it at all. Awesome, me thinks not.

Validating the game over the net is a good anti piracy measure, but if its gonna fuck over legitimate consumers then its a bad idea, Valves first priority should be to the people that buy their game not to the people that dont.

Unison

Even if one paying customer is having issues where Valve's service is to blame, I think it's a lousy system.

Bristow

Banned
Bregor said:
I happen to like Steam, but I'm sorry it's giving you troubles. I hope it is only due to heavy traffic and clears up soon for you.

It's not just Steam either though. Vivendi obviously released some faulty boxed versions of the game as well. A large number of people can't even install the game.

Some advice I've seen people giving is to download it off Steam and then use your cdkey from the retail box. Wtf? I just bought the damn game so I don't have to download 5 gigs.

skip

the concept of preventing pre-release piracy is admirable and all, but FFS, how much time have they had to get this ready for the big release?

border

God damn, Valve is pathetic. The anti-piracy internet authentication managed to delay the pirates by a whopping 12-18 hours after ship date, and this comes at the cost of thousands of customers going nuts because they can't play the game.

I was considering going out to pick up the game today since I was already headed to Best Buy for DVDs.....but after hearing about this I guess I will pass. I would be furious if I paid $50 and couldn't play as soon as I installed it.

The cracked version is already all over torrent sites.....not that anyone should play the game without paying for it, but if you are a legit user and can't get the game working it seems like an ethical solution ;)

I'm actually looking for a crack for my legit copy. All the torrents I see are the full game file and I'm not downloading the whole game just to get a crack.

dark10x

I was considering going out to pick up the game today since I was already headed to Best Buy for DVDs.....but after hearing about this I guess I will pass. I would be furious if I paid $50 and couldn't play as soon as I installed it.

Correction.

You would have either paid $54.99 or $79.99, depending on the version you purchased...

Unison

I only paid $35.99, which is probably why I am getting the shaft. :D

I seriously hope Valve gets raped by the press for this debacle. I hope this sets online distribution schemes back by a decade.

dark10x

Unison said:
I only paid $35.99, which is probably why I am getting the shaft. :D

I seriously hope Valve gets raped by the press for this debacle. I hope this sets online distribution schemes back by a decade.

Well, I paid ~$65 for the collectors edition...so that wasn't TOO bad ($10 more than the regular retail price). I love discounts...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I havent tried (real or pirated version) it but apparently the crack only lets you install the game, it still wont run without steam.

border

dark10x said:
Correction.

You would have either paid $54.99 or $79.99, depending on the version you purchased...
WTF? I can't get the $50 version at retail?

I don't give a shit about all that Counterstrike add-on crap. Does the $55 edition at least give me access to HL1: Source?

I'm actually looking for a crack for my legit copy. All the torrents I see are the full game file and I'm not downloading the whole game just to get a crack.

with the azureus client you can choose what files you want to download

Gribbix

border said:

I don't give a shit about all that Counterstrike add-on crap. Does the $55 edition at least give me access to HL1: Source?

Nope. The only retail version that allows you access to HL1:Source is the collector's edition.

Tenguman

border said:

No. that's the $60 edition only on Steam

like i said, valve can make a good game but they don't give two shits about their fans.

Top Bottom