• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problem installing Half-Life 2

Ferrio

Banned
Wonder if this is just from overload of people trying to play, or maybe they're getting DOSed? They sure seem to have people out to screw them.

Tenguman

Unison said:
You should be playing MP2 anyhow. No online bull there!

I got it, but I gotta leave here in an hour to attend some stupid function. I want to have MP2 all to myself for a good solid 4-5 hours tonight when I get home

I *thought* I would play a little Hl2 in the mean time...but nooooo

Wonder if this is just from overload of people trying to play, or maybe they're getting DOSed? They sure seem to have people out to screw them.
well the BIGGEST issue is that if you buy it at retail, you STILL have to make a steam account and get it unlocked -- which eats up bandwidth like crazy

so you got thousands trying to download HL2, thousands trying to login and play, and thousands trying to download all the decryption stuff to play (even though they bought the copy at the store already)

Unison

Ferrio said:

HAHA, even if they aren't this will be the PR spin.

border

Just out of curiousity, will EBGames allow me to trade-in the retail edition(s) for credit? I really have no interest in any of the online stuff that this game has to offer, so I would rather just dump it once I play through singleplayer enough.

The only thing is that in the past they have not allowed trade-ins on certain games that were heavily tied to CD Keys (Phantasy Star Online).....

Eric-GCA

Banned
I guess I'm lucky to have gotten HL2 through Steam without any problems. I'd be playing it now, but I have so much work to do for classes. And then when Metroid Prime 2 comes tommorow I'm gonna be swamped. I'll probably have to wait until the weekend before I even start that game.

Had to return the game but CompUSA didn't give me any problems. Now all I have to do is connect to Steam and verify my CD-Key. Keeps telling me its too busy to make the transaction though. Fuck the people who thought it would be a good idea to implement this idea.

Ferrio said:

I was thinking the same thing. The first thing as a matter of fact.

I don't think it's an overload of just regular people because there was probably a ton of people trying to grab it last night.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I just got back from Game Stop with my collectors edition. I have no idea why I wasted my money on it. I think I paid $30 extra for a t-shirt I will probably never wear and just to get the game on a DVD. At the very least they could have done was thrown in a soundtrack or a nice leather box like Warcraft 3 or Star War Galaxies collectors' editions. Cheap bastards (I'm not sure if that is directed toward Vivendi, Valve, or both).

Yusaku

border said:
Just out of curiousity, will EBGames allow me to trade-in the retail edition(s) for credit? I really have no interest in any of the online stuff that this game has to offer, so I would rather just dump it once I play through singleplayer enough.

The only thing is that in the past they have not allowed trade-ins on certain games that were heavily tied to CD Keys (Phantasy Star Online).....

I would say absolutely not, since the cd-key would still be tied to your steam account. You'd have to sell your account along with the CD.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eric-GCA said:
I guess I'm lucky to have gotten HL2 through Steam without any problems. I'd be playing it now, but I have so much work to do for classes. And then when Metroid Prime 2 comes tommorow I'm gonna be swamped.

Ha ha, that's pretty much my situation. Of course, I did manage to pick up Prime 2 along with HL2. Very shiny case...

I'm waiting on Prime, though. I'm playing each of these bigs title one at a time. I don't want to screw up the experience...

ced

Screaming_Gremlin said:
I just got back from Game Stop with my collectors edition. I have no idea why I wasted my money on it. I think I paid $30 extra for a t-shirt I will probably never wear and just to get the game on a DVD. At the very least they could have done was thrown in a soundtrack or a nice leather box like Warcraft 3 or Star War Galaxies collectors' editions. Cheap bastards (I'm not sure if that is directed toward Vivendi, Valve, or both).

Best part is you cant play it.

On a good note now the steam login is taking 2 mins or more to return an error, as opposed to immediatly saying no connection.

Ghost said:
I havent tried (real or pirated version) it but apparently the crack only lets you install the game, it still wont run without steam.

Apparently a group released a Steam emulator. Some crazy SOBs will go to great lengths... :lol

Sjoerd

It's not like Valve is getting more money for a copy sold on steam opposed to selling a copy in retail.

Wait......

Those idiots should have invested in more servers, it's as simple as that. They make more money on steam sales than any other game designer has ever made before and they don't even have the decency to support the customers who gave their cash to them without getting the game first.

Unison

Sjoerd said:
It's not like Valve is getting more money for a copy sold on steam opposed to selling a copy in retail.

Wait......

Those idiots should have invested in more servers, it's as simple as that. They make more money on steam sales than any other game designer has ever made before and they don't even have the decency to support those customers.

Except I'm not even a Steam customer... I bought the retail box version. I still can't play!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I was thinking about going out and picking this game up tonight. Don't know now. :\

Sjoerd

Unison said:
Except I'm not even a Steam customer... I bought the retail box version. I still can't play!

I'm sorry, I really am, but that does make me feel better...

It's funny but with steam valve actually sets back the whole buying games online thing instead of pushing it forward.

try port forwarding these ports

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

and try deleting this file

C:\Program Files\Steam\Clientregistry.blob

Unison

ZombieSupaStar said:
try port forwarding these ports

UDP 1200 (used for friends service)
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive
TCP 27030 to 27039 inclusive

and try deleting this file

C:\Program Files\Steam\Clientregistry.blob

It worked... w/o deleting the file... just w/ the port forwarding...

:) :) :) THANK YOU!!!!! :) :) :)

Just got this information from Vivendi. Perhaps this will help you out?

Vivendi Universal Games would like to notify you of two important updates regarding the product installation for Half-Life 2. The issues identified below are easily addressed.

1. Half Life 2 - CD Installation error when Counter-strike: Source is not selected. The following has been identified as a known issue with Half Life 2 Standard Edition (not Collector's or European DVD editions):

Problem: If during the initial installation process the option to install Counter-strike: Source is NOT selected, an error may occur during installation. The message will be: cabinet file error, fatal disk error, or something similar.

Solution: Cancel the current installation process and reinstall the game from the beginning, starting with Disk #1. Make certain to select the option to install both Half-Life 2 and Counter-strike: Source.

Note: If you prefer not to retain the Counter-strike: Source program on your system AFTER INSTALLATION, you can remove it using the following procedure:

* After HL2 has been successfully installed, open up the Steam client.

* Select the Play Games list

* RIGHT click on Counter-strike: Source and select Properties

* Select Delete Local Content.

2. Product Authentication Delay When Installing Half-Life 2

Some consumers may experience delays in authenticating Half-Life 2 during the installation process. This is due to the high volume of consumers who have purchased Half-Life 2 and are installing the game, which is causing high traffic on the Steam authentication servers. Please inform any Half-Life 2 customers that encounter this situation to keep trying, as this is a temporary delay.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
ArcadeStickMonk said:
Sept 30th lies...
Release date pushed back over a year...
Bullshit Steam unlocking measure, that doesn't work on release!

Worst release ever?

Nah, only a small minority of people aren't playing. A very small minority. Everyone else has this baby fully operational -- myself included.

Now I must go play.

Unison

It's unlocking files now (on the retail version!). 66% complete. Time spent installing so far: 150 mins. :lol

neptunes

Badabing said:
Nah, only a small minority of people aren't playing. A very small minority. Everyone else has this baby fully operational -- myself included.

Now I must go play.

It's assuring to know that the situation isn't as bad as it seems.

rofl.gif

I'm finally at the unlocking phase, had to re-install the actual game to get the re-install of Steam to recognize it. Told me it wasn't sure if my CD-Key was kosher, but that it would let me play... for now

Unison

I have just played for about 90 mins, and I have to say that it's pretty much been worth the hassle, no matter how lame it was.

Steam Sucks.

Half-Life 2 Rules.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Well Steam started working for me about an hour ago so I have everything ready to go. Of course I'm not going to be able to play the game until tomorrow. I have to write a stupid report comparing inventory forecasting models for my logistics class. :(

Sjoerd

Unison said:
I have just played for about 90 mins, and I have to say that it's pretty much been worth the hassle, no matter how lame it was.

Steam Sucks.

Half-Life 2 Rules.

Agreed, stayed up untill 2 a.m. last night just to get the download started and when I woke up at 7 it was there! On my harddrive! :D

AeroGod

Still not working for me. When it starts to unlock the files it gets to around 24-31 % then it says steam is to busy t process my request or something.

Top Bottom