• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive scan on Japanese TVs?

I've decided that my 3-year-old 21" TV just isn't cutting it anymore and want to get a new TV. I'll probably use this new TV for about 2-3 years, so it doesn't have to be infinitely future-proof. The two major questions are: progressive or not, widescreen or not? Looking at a bunch of different TVs has just left me confused, so:

1) Widescreen and progressive are mutually independent, right? So it's possible for a 4:3 TV to be 480p, and for a widescreen TV to just run at janky regular resolution.

2) Are U.S. and Japanese progressive modes compatible? Or am I gonna be unable to run U.S. progressive mode games on a Japanese TV?

3) HOW CAN I TELL IF A TV SUPPORTS PROGRESSIVE OR NOT? My major problem is that the terminology is COMPLETELY different for Japanese TVs ... most modern TVs have a "D1" input (digital 1) that's the equivalent of U.S. component. However, just cause it has D1 doesn't mean it supports progressive mode, I don't think.

Is it possible for a D1 TV to run in progressive scan? Or do I need to be looking at D3 models for that?

EDIT: I found this website and it looks like I need D2 or D4. I didn't see a SINGLE model with D2, though, and the only 4:3 at D3 cost $750 for 28".

$750 for the cheapest 4:3 progressive scan TV? Is progressive mode really that expensive? What the hell kind of TV do I want?!

Miburou

1) Widescreen and progressive are mutually exclusive, right? So it's possible for a 4:3 TV to be 480p, and for a widescreen TV to just run at janky regular resolution.

Yup.

2) Are U.S. and Japanese progressive modes compatible? Or am I gonna be unable to run U.S. progressive mode games on a Japanese TV?

I can play all my imports that support progressive scan on my North American TV in prog scan mode with no problems, so the other way around should hold true, too.

3) HOW CAN I TELL IF A TV SUPPORTS PROGRESSIVE OR NOT? My major problem is that the terminology is COMPLETELY different for Japanese TVs ... most modern TVs have a "D1" input (digital 1) that's the equivalent of U.S. component. However, just cause it has D1 doesn't mean it supports progressive mode, I don't think.

All prog scan Japanese games on the PS2 ask on boot-up if you want to play in 480p mode, so I guess you should ask/look out for that. But you should also try to get one that supports 720p and 1080i if you can.

Miburou said:
All prog scan Japanese games on the PS2 ask on boot-up if you want to play in 480p mode, so I guess you should ask/look out for that. But you should also try to get one that supports 720p and 1080i if you can.

Are there (m)any games that support 720p and 1080i? I was under the impression the great majority of "progressive" games were just in 480p ... is this not the case?

Miburou

JackFrost2012 said:
Are there (m)any games that support 720p and 1080i? I was under the impression the great majority of "progressive" games were just in 480p ... is this not the case?

Well on Xbox there are some. The ones I can remember are Soul Calibur II, Amped 2, True Crimes, and Dragon's lair. But the next-gen should have more support for those resolutions.

seanoff

shit, better tell my super fine pitch widescreen wega to stop running in prog scan since they are mutually exclusive. Awesome picture BTW.

2 since they are both NTSC prolly yes

3 my sony recognises the source as prog scan on component inputs, i found this out trying to adjust the picture and it said progressive source, piss off.

4 i think my tv is the australian model of the sony KDHR32M500. and they are not wasting that tube on something that doesn't do prog scan.

are u going to be watching digital tv on it, which at its most basic is prog scan at current res. At least here, SD is 576P, HD is 1080i

Dcharlie is probably your best hope in japan as he is a bit of a techno tart.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"EDIT: I found this website and it looks like I need D2 or D4. I didn't see a SINGLE model with D2, though, and the only 4:3 at D3 cost $750 for 28".
$750 for the cheapest 4:3 progressive scan TV? Is progressive mode really that expensive? What the hell kind of TV do I want?!"

What is your budget?

MrSingh

D1 = 525i
D2 = 480p
D3 = 1080i
D4 = 720p

You want a TV that's at least D2 (480p). D1 is not progressive scan.

D4 tube TV's are quite affordable now. What kind of TV are you looking for?

You should ask the Sony guys to hook you up...

Alternatively you can get a Sanyo LP-Z1 projector if you have a wide blank wall in your apartment. It supports up to D4 + VGA inputs as well. Dcharlie and Sho Nuff both have this LCD projector.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?PrdKey=00885510344

It can be yours for the grand price of 92,000 yen! (the down to getting a projector is that you won't have speakers, but this is a great reason for you to get DD 5.1 speakers! Creative makes some decent DD 5.1 speakers for video gaming)

seanoff said:
shit, better tell my super fine pitch widescreen wega to stop running in prog scan since they are mutually exclusive. Awesome picture BTW.

Er, I meant to say mutually independent, not exclusive. sorry.

seanoff said:
are u going to be watching digital tv on it, which at its most basic is prog scan at current res. At least here, SD is 576P, HD is 1080i

I don't watch TV, ever. Quite literally so. The last time I watched a TV show was when I was over at a Japanese family's house in February 2003 and they had the TV on during dinner. I quite literally could not care less about television.

seanoff said:
Dcharlie is probably your best hope in japan as he is a bit of a techno tart.

Yeah, hoping he shows up.

Culex

Banned
Progressive is a must, especially if you own a Gamecube. The difference over S-Video is ridiculous. I'd also go with a widescreen HDTV. I made the plunge with widescreen and have never looked back.

I would get a projector but there's no wall it could go on at my current apartment, really. :( Since I'm here at least two more years, I'm looking to invest in a TV.

I already have 5.1 so television's internal speakers are 100% unused. I've never used internal speakers on a TV I've owned.

"D4 tube TV's are quite affordable now. What kind of TV are you looking for?"

Really? I haven't seen any below 8 man...

I want a TV about 27"-30" with at least the first level of progressive scan (D2). There are quite literally NO TELEVISIONS with just D2. It jumps from D1 to D3 and most are D4. Sigh. Widescreen would be nice but not required; resolution trumps dimensions.

DCharlie

"Alternatively you can get a Sanyo LP-Z1 projector if you have a wide blank wall in your apartment. It supports up to D4 + VGA inputs as well. Dcharlie and Sho Nuff both have this LCD projector."

Yeah, the Z1 is fantastic value. I'm considering the Z3 to take over downstairs and move the Z1 upstairs... but to be honest, the Z1 is as good as i'd probably need.

100 inches on a very short throw too....

92,000 yen on kakaku as mentioned - utter bargain.
92,000 yen will get you very little TV.

DCharlie said:
Yeah, the Z1 is fantastic value. I'm considering the Z3 to take over downstairs and move the Z1 upstairs... but to be honest, the Z1 is as good as i'd probably need.

I might ask you to lug that over sometime, see how it works ... if I rearrange some furniture, buy a screen, and the Z1 is at good at projecting at a sharp off-angle as it claims, I miiiiiight be able to use it.

Maybe I could wall/ceiling mount it? hmmmmm...

MrSingh

JackFrost2012 said:
I would get a projector but there's no wall it could go on at my current apartment, really. :( Since I'm here at least two more years, I'm looking to invest in a TV.

I already have 5.1 so television's internal speakers are 100% unused. I've never used internal speakers on a TV I've owned.

"D4 tube TV's are quite affordable now. What kind of TV are you looking for?"

Really? I haven't seen any below 8 man...

I want a TV about 27"-30" with at least the first level of progressive scan (D2). There are quite literally NO TELEVISIONS with just D2. It jumps from D1 to D3 and most are D4. Sigh. Widescreen would be nice but not required; resolution trumps dimensions.

As Dcharlie has mentioned, 8 man won't buy you much of a TV. (at least not the top tier brands)

However, Sharp makes some of the cheapest wide screen tube TV's.

Check out this model, it's 32" widescreen and it supports D4.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?PrdKey=20405010226

85,050 yen.

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detailspec.asp?PrdKey=20405010223

This model is 32" as well and it's 71,000 yen (not sure what's the difference, the summary specs looks the same)

http://www.kakaku.com/prdsearch/detailspec.asp?PrdKey=20405010215

The 28" model is 59,770 yen. (D4 as well)

I contemplated buying the 28" model (120,000 yen 4 years ago) and the picture looks OK but not as good as the Wegas, Panasonics or Toshibas.

MrSingh

JackFrost2012 said:
I might ask you to lug that over sometime, see how it works ... if I rearrange some furniture, buy a screen, and the Z1 is at good at projecting at a sharp off-angle as it claims, I miiiiiight be able to use it.

Maybe I could wall/ceiling mount it? hmmmmm...

Have you noticed where Dcharlie's Z1 is located? It's quite a bit off to the right side of the hall yet he gets an excellent picture.

MrSingh said:
Have you noticed where Dcharlie's Z1 is located? It's quite a bit off to the right side of the hall yet he gets an excellent picture.

Yeah, I'd have to be projecting at an even sharper angle, tho... well, we'll see.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Get yourself a screen then. I have a pull down one and its very unobtrusive.

projectors these days are often very short throw - Mine gives me an 8ft wide image at about 9ft away.

If its for gaming only, an older 480p projector will be fine (like the z1), and map accurately to the input signal (480p in = 480p out).

DCharlie

"I might ask you to lug that over sometime, see how it works ... if I rearrange some furniture, buy a screen, and the Z1 is at good at projecting at a sharp off-angle as it claims, I miiiiiight be able to use it.

Maybe I could wall/ceiling mount it? hmmmmm..."

that's easy enough too!

given the Z1 is small and easily portable, then that wouldn't be an issue.
Try that with a big tv! ;)

yeah, i'm projecting from a fair angle to the right of my wall - and it still looks good.
the only other issue is that you need a sound set up that you wouldn't need with a regular tv.
Also regular tvs tend to have more inputs than a Z1!

DCharlie said:
yeah, i'm projecting from a fair angle to the right of my wall - and it still looks good. the only other issue is that you need a sound set up that you wouldn't need with a regular tv. Also regular tvs tend to have more inputs than a Z1!

Well, I already have the sound setup and a switchbox, so no worries there. Maybe a projector is the one for meeeeeee

Top Bottom