• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Rub will be a launch title in the US.

neptunes

I guess some info is getting released in regards to this thursday.

It'll be called feel the magic XY/XX

feel-the-magic-xyxx-20041005102333523.jpg

Sega's first Nintendo DS game, previously known as Project Rub and revealed as Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru ("I Would Die for You") is coming to the US as Feel the Magic: XY-XX. And yes, the game is as quirky as the title. Sega recently invited me down to their offices to wrap my hands around this unique collection of challenges. Whether the game is a success remains to be seen, but at the very least, I had a goofy smile on my face nearly the entire time I played the game. That should say something right there.

The game is created in a very cool and unique art style that's reminiscent of the iPod commercials...something that hasn't really been seen in a videogame before This style puts the DS' 2D and 3D capabilities to use...in many places, those silhouette characters are actually realtime 3D models. The story's told in comicbook fashion, where each panel unfolds to show what's going on in the game.

more here
http://ds.ign.com/articles/554/554126p1.html

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Feel the Magic Female/Male? The Japanese name would be less confusing for US customers. :p

Awesome that it will be a launch title. Hopefully the game is actually fun.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Challenge three: Show your lung power in this unique challenge where you must blow out a series of candles. Blow onto the system...your breath power and duration will be registered by the Nintendo DS' microphone, and represented on the screen as you watch the candles extinguish by the wind. Don't blow too long or your on-screen persona will get lightheaded and dizzy, wasting precious candle-blowing time.

Interesting use of the mic. :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Goreomedy said:
Interesting use of the mic. :D

That can only lead to a penis mini-game in the hands of Japanese developers. Get it? 'In the hands'...this is my A material here. :lol

neptunes

Apparently, the game is comming out 3 days after launch :)

and mic use? :lol

I hope somebody releases a sleek headset at launch(nintendo or anybody!), cause speaking into the DS unit (If the mic is really built in) would look weird.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
its prolly not a good idea for ign to blow up their images 300 times the original size.

Alcibiades

I'm so glad this is coming over, looked like one of those Japan-only things, so I never cared much for the "Project Rub to be launch title", but now that it's a US thing, that's cool.

I'll look for the reviews on this game first, but if it's quirky enough, I may just get it either way...

Chittagong

Gold Member
SOLD SOLD SOLD game let me buy you let me touch you let me have babies with you!!!

* furious preordering *

I probably haven't been this excited of a game in years, something fresh for a change, great art and innovative mechanics all the way!

It actually sounds really fun. Too bad IGN didn't post actual movies. That Kizmo movie just seems like a touch screen commercial.

u_neek

ravingloon said:
It actually sounds really fun. Too bad IGN didn't post actual movies. That Kizmo movie just seems like a touch screen commercial.

If it just looked that good on the DS...

sounds fun tho..

oly shit. very nice job. right off the bat, the UGA guys come up with some of the best idea's i've ever seen. blowing (no pun intended), that's fuckin awesome. seriously guys, keep up the good work.

anyways, must buy. this game is gonna be awesome. i don't see it turning out better than Made In Wario, but hey, it might be just different enough so that they can't be compared. whatever, they should both be awesome.

hey come to think of it, it is UGA, i don't care much for SC5 (although i've only played part 1), but everyone thing else they've done has be god like. but anyways, i wouldn't be suprised if this turned out to be the best launch game out of nowhere.

heh, such a stoned post.

As much as I am expecting this game to suck, just by premise alone, I am secretly hoping it to rock (especially music-wise), just because UGA made one of my favourite games this gen: Space Channel 5...

But it's going to be very weird playing it... Oh well, I managed to play Harvest Moon.... Hoo boy.

I must say, as dubious as I am about the quality of the gameplay, those screens make me smile. I love the art direction in this title.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Dig the blowing! This game is going to be neet as hell.

Idea! I so want a music game where you can blow into the microphone and make like you're playing an instrument (of the musical variety, wiseasses)

Nice little jazz game. That would be very cool.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's been said, but I thought I'd poke my head in and register my own approval of the mic usage. Sounds neat.

If this is the innovation that DS creates then count me in.

Seriously, this is some out there stuff and makes me trust in SEGA a bit again.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
GDJustin said:
It's been said, but I thought I'd poke my head in and register my own approval of the mic usage. Sounds neat.
I have nothing else to add.

Wait. Yes I do. I love the art. This and that, errr, "Rez 2" game have the coolest looks on the DS and PSP so far.

john tv

Super glad this is going to the US, though that has to be one of the most retarded titles I've ever heard. It totally misses the point of the Japanese title.

I'm kinda mad it'll be launching in the US before Japan!! Since I'm waiting on the Japanese one ....... oh well, life goes on.

P.S. Way to come up with the worst title ever, what's wrong with "I'd Die For You"? I hope we get past the "DS game titles must have done puns about touching" phase ASAP.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I loved "I'd Die For You" :(

I hope they have a mini-game where you have to use the stylus to cut her name in your heart.

What?

mightynine said:
Kind of morbid, no?

I don't think so, I think it's really funny!

I mean, it's the sort of thing you say to someone in relationship when you're completely over the top. Not meant to be taken literally.

Tsubaki

efralope said:
I'm so glad this is coming over, looked like one of those Japan-only things, so I never cared much for the "Project Rub to be launch title", but now that it's a US thing, that's cool.

I'll look for the reviews on this game first, but if it's quirky enough, I may just get it either way...

Lame.

Reminds me of the time my brother worked in gaming retail, and they sold Dreamcast Purupuru packs for $15 and Jump packs for $20. No one would touch the purupuru packs with a 50 foot pole. (Purupuru = SoJ's vibrator. Jump = SoA's vibrator. ie the same thing)

It's sickening to see how xenophobic people are. One should only care about a game if it's coming Stateside? Absolutely lame.

Zaptruder

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I don't think so, I think it's really funny!

I mean, it's the sort of thing you say to someone in relationship when you're completely over the top. Not meant to be taken literally.

If you're going for the funny angle...

I'm sorry, but "Feel the Magic: XX/XY" out does "I'd die for you" by a factor of 10. Completely confusing and utterly awkward in its own right... it's definetly like an alta-vista, or even better yet, a AYBABTU type phrase.

Zaptruder said:
I'm sorry, but "Feel the Magic: XX/XY" out does "I'd die for you" by a factor of 10. Completely confusing and utterly awkward in its own right... it's definetly like an alta-vista, or even better yet, a AYBABTU type phrase.

Well, to each their own - but you're the first person I've heard from today whose immediate reaction wasn't "OH. MY. GOD. That name is absolute SHIT!!"

"I Would Die For You" is winking and self-deprecating and making fun of relationships. It brings to mind adolescent proposals of eternal affection made without any thought or understanding what the words mean. A perfect fit for the style and story and the game. A

"Feel the Magic: XX/XY" sounds like some programmer accidentally dumped their C code onto the box. It has a terrible pun about the DS touchscreen AND a subtitle consisting of nothing but chromosomes. F-

Oh, well, if it wasn't incompetent it wouldn't be Sega.

jarrod

Banned
So known DS launch lists so far...

America (11.21.2004)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Madden NFL 2005 (EA)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA/Griptonite Games)

Japan (12.02.2004)
-Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Spike)
-Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (Sega/Sonic Team)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (EA/Griptonite Games)

Europe/PAL (tba)

Top Bottom