• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 480p question

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
I have the original model PS2.

I've noticed that several games state that they have Progressive Scan support. Is it possible for my PS2 to support this feature, or is it only new HW models?

IJoel

Datawhore said:
yes it's only newer models, or yes my 1st gen supports 480p?

As long as you have the component cables, all PS2s should support 480p for the games that specify so.

The newer models support progressive scan for DVD movies, which is something the older models can't do.

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
I always thought that progressive scan support was a HW feature, but I suppose it can be done in SW as well?

Miburou

Datawhore said:
so why doesn't the original PS2 support 480p for DVD movies?

Probably because they didn't want it to steal sales away from their more expensive pro-scan DVD players.

You actually have to hold Triangle and X at the same time at the Playstation 2 logo boot up screen to activate progressive scan in some games like SSX3. I don't know if that's for the majority of EA's games though.

Datawhore said:
so why doesn't the original PS2 support 480p for DVD movies?

Because although progressive scan is a hardware feature, it must be triggered by software to be activated (see Gamecube games), and the DVD drivers in the old PS2s do not support progressive scan. It's simple really.

Top Bottom