• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 - Disks won't spin.. console shot?

Boom

I'm having problems with my PS2, but it's more than just the garden variety "DRE". When I insert a disk into the system, the laser tries to read for just a half second or so and then the disk stops spinning.

Anyone see or hear of this? Any possible home remedies?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Go get HDLoader. You won't even really need the disk drive if you run it off the memory card.

Before doing that, put the PS2 in Diagnosis mode.

Load your PS2 without a disc inside and wait until you get to the main menu.
Press Triangle and highlight "Console", then press Triangle again and set
"Diagnosis" to ON. What does this setting do? Basically, it focuses the laser
on the disc so that it has an easier time reading discs.

Boom

I do have the HDL so I'll give it a shot. Problem is I'm not sure if the PS2 will spin the HDL disk. We'll see. Thanks for the info.

Dave Long

Banned
Let it sit there for about five minutes when the discs stop. I have a friend who had this very problem. Amazingly, after about five minutes, the disc spins again and his games work fine from there on. Five minute boot up times are ridiculous (and he's trading this unit in) but at least you can see if the drive is totally shot that way.

Boom

DaCocoBrova,
You mention playing the games off the memory card? Are you saying it's possible to bott the games on the HDD without actually needing the HDLoader disk?

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, if you've tried waiting and it still doesn't work, it's time to call Sony. Be firm and you should be able to get it fixed without paying anything.

Top Bottom