• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 hard drive in a PC?

signet

Question for you tech guys. Can one use the 40gb HD that came with FFXI in a PC?

I was going to go out and buy a new 40gb for my PC but I have a friend that will sell me his FFXI HD for less than $30, if I can format it and use it that would be a good deal.

Thanks

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why on earth are you buying anything for your PC? Surely you have enough room for Word documents (seemingly the only thing a PC could be possibly be used for, outside of worthless gaming). ;)

signet

dark10x said:
Why on earth are you buying anything for your PC? Surely you have enough room for Word documents (seemingly the only thing a PC could be possibly be used for, outside of worthless gaming). ;)

Need space for all those useless MMORPGs coming out ;)

Drexon

Banned
All I know is that's it's a helluva hassle to do on an Xbox, and that's been hacked pretty badly, so I don't think it's possible on a PS2 HDD. :(

Drexon said:
All I know is that's it's a helluva hassle to do on an Xbox, and that's been hacked pretty badly, so I don't think it's possible on a PS2 HDD. :(
hassle? all you do is unlock it... takes like one button press with config magic

signet

it worked, just needed to guess the jumper setting for slave and format it. Could not get the guide rails off (weird screws) but it still fit with them on. Formatted and ready to go, maybe I'll buy Doom 3 after all...

WarPig

Yeah, it fits in a PC just fine. One of my roommates lost his Linux Kit hard drive for months because another roommate stuck it in his PC and forgot about it.

dFS.

Burger

PS2, Xbox and PC all use IDE spec Hard Drives.

You can mix and match them all you like, but each is formatted with their own file system, meaning they can't see each others contents, for example, a Xbox cant see a PS2's files.

Provided you format them, you will in business.

Xbox HDD's have an extra layer of protection. You must 'unlock' the drive before it can be used. Config Magic can do this in a few seconds, BUT, it MUST be done on the Xbox it came from, as that is the only xbox that has the matching key.

Brofist

signet said:
I was going to go out and buy a new 40gb for my PC but I have a friend that will sell me his FFXI HD for less than $30, if I can format it and use it that would be a good deal.

Do they still even sell 40gb hard drives? I bought a 120gb HD for like $60 recently. And on a PC what can you even do with a drive that small anymore...install like 3 games

signet

kpop100 said:
I bought a 120gb HD for like $60 recently.

link?

kpop100 said:
And on a PC what can you even do with a drive that small anymore...install like 3 games

more like 13-14 but let me know if you can find more than 3-4 PC game worth keeping installed ;)

Brofist

signet said:
link?

more like 13-14 but let me know if you can find more than 3-4 PC game worth keeping installed ;)

Den Den Town in Japan...lots of cheap electronics, computer stuff. But even places like Newegg have insane deals all the time.

Top Bottom