• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 pre-modded system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Namely, I'm looking to buy one with a DMS3 chip installed. I'd do it myself but I don't know how I feel about soldering 23 wires.

Minotauro

Simply talking about modchips isn't against the TOS, is it?

I know we've discussed XBox mods here numerous times.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Terms of Service said:
E. Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.
From my interpretation of it, asking on where to get a PS2 with a modchip preinstalled doesn't go against TOS but posting information on where to get it, is. However my interpretation doesn't matter, it's the mods.

Minotauro

Well, it probably doesn't matter that much anyway. I predict that this post will be the last reply this thread sees.

Dilbert

I'm going to lock this thread, but nothing ban-worthy has been said so far. I'd like to keep it that way.

I read the TOS carefully, and there seems to be some conflicting direction. On the one hand, "the topics of emulation and piracy, including...hardware modification technology" is deemed acceptable. On the other hand, "linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question."

The problem, of course, is that the second clause is software-centric, and your question deals with hardware. However, my own personal opinion is that the TOS is badly worded, and linking to sites which offer mod chips for sale (or pre-modded systems, in this case) ought to be out of bounds. Replace "software" with "software/hardware" and "pirate download" with "mod chip," and you'll see how I'm interpreting the spirit of the rule.

For the record, my personal opinion is that ought to be able to mod your consoles -- it's YOUR hardware, after all, and the manufacturers shouldn't have any reach into your property once the sale is complete. There are plenty of legit reasons for modding a system, from what I understand, and I'm not going to assume that ANYONE buying a mod chip is up to no good. Still, one of the main purposes of the TOS is to avoid liability, and for that reason...I don't think this should be discussed on the board.

I had discussed this topic with the other mods/admins a couple of weeks ago -- it might be time to revisit that discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom