• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 launch: Christmas 2005 Japan, Spring 2006 US and EU

Izzy

Banned
This schedule is remarkably similar to the one being followed by the PlayStation Portable - and while the graph did not give any notion of a release date for the system, if it follows the PSP model then PlayStation 3 could be in the hands of Japanese consumers in time for Christmas 2005, with a launch in the USA and Europe in early 2006.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3777

As we reported yesterday, it is possible that PlayStation 3 might actually go on sale in Japan in time for Christmas 2005, judging by timescale-related nattering from SCEI boss Ken Kutaragi. Should that prove to be the case, the software line-up would be pretty modest, as developers would have had less than a year with the full kits - although that problem didn't exactly stop PS2 shipping early and instantly flying off Japanese shelves.

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200407/017.asp

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Couldn't we consolidate all these PS3 threads, since all the latest news is based on the same conference from a day or two ago?

Izzy

Banned
The first generation PS3 development kits - still carrying the TOOL name first sported by the PS2 kits, will be shipping to developers at the start of 2005, although it has already been reported that some leading publishers already have demos up and running on systems that are simulating the expected PS3 specs.

Couldn't we consolidate all these PS3 threads, since all the latest news is based on the same conference from a day or two ago?

Perhaps a mod could sticky a general PS3 news thread?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
BuddyChrist83 said:
I don't know if I like this recent trend of launching in Q1. That is all.

Yep. I don't like it either. I prefer to see the excitement unravel near the end of the year, during the holiday rush.

Wulfer

Launching in first quarter will do one thing for Sony they won't look like an ass when they don't have enough machines for the launch.

BuddyC

AlphaSnake said:
Yep. I don't like it either. I prefer to see the excitement unravel near the end of the year, during the holiday rush.

I'm perfectly fine with blowing insane amounts of money on games and systems during the holiday rush, but I'm a tad bit more reserved during the first half of the year as I attempt to rebuild my bank accounts. A holiday release also means I can scoop up everything I couldn't afford through gifts..

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Well, I believe Pana is laughling because it would probably be hard for any developer to approximate PS3 hardware via emulation since Teraflop-class computers don't grow on trees....

The first generation PS3 development kits - still carrying the TOOL name first sported by the PS2 kits, will be shipping to developers at the start of 2005, although it has already been reported that some leading publishers already have demos up and running on systems that are simulating the expected PS3 specs.

Not totally out there, IMO. After all, Dark Sector was already shown.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kleegamefan said:
Well, I believe Pana is laughling because it would probably be hard for any developer to approximate PS3 hardware via emulation since Teraflop-class computers don't grow on trees....

I am really laughing at what they said, others in the past already told you what the situation is in regards to "PlayStation 3 specs known by developers" and unless things changed this specific week, well then the statememnt from Kikizo is still quite funny: go look for those posts ;).

I guess you could stretch the "developers have demos running on systems that simulate PS3 specs" phrase quite a bit to fit the reality.

Kleegamefan said:

Does anyone seriously believe that we'll see a TeraFLOP-class computer in a $300 box in the next two years, though? Seems unbelievable. But then, I suppose it'll have that classic theoretical capability...kinda like the PS2 being capable of all those crazy things before.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
MightyHedgehog said:
Does anyone seriously believe that we'll see a TeraFLOP-class computer in a $300 box in the next two years, though? Seems unbelievable. But then, I suppose it'll have that classic theoretical capability...kinda like the PS2 being capable of all those crazy things before.

Even talking about 128-256 GFLOPS of pure CPU FP power and similar levels for peak FX power is well and above what any single Desktop PC can do: Pentium 4 clocked at 3.0 GHz can push a peak of 12 GFLOPS using SSE/SSE2.

You can do some hoopla and use a GPU like NV40 to run quite general computation on it, but I do not know how well you would simulate Multi-threading as it would have to work on a CELL processor... it also depends on how well they can abstract message passing and MT on CELL OS + Libraries.

Redbeard

Banned
Didn't I see shots of an in-progress PS3 game from Climax somewhere? Yes, yes I did.

blimey.jpg

madara

SPRING! LOL! Why bother to lie so flagarantly! No major console has ever launched then here in US and I dont see that changing,ever.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
madara said:
SPRING! LOL! Why bother to lie so flagarantly! No major console has ever launched then here in US and I dont see that changing,ever.

segasaturn.gif

Launched in May 1995 (right smack dab in the middle of Spring)

Top Bottom