• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

EFF IT, YOU JUST GOTTA LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE

I initially plugged in the console without the Ethernet cable and without accessing wi-fi because I was afraid of DA 1.50 FIRMWARE UPDATE™, but once I got to the front end menu, I decided to throw caution to the wind and manually choose to update from the Settings menu. Miraculously, everything went smoothly. The console restarted twice and installed without a hitch. I feel like I'm past the PS4 Worthiness Test Stage 1.

Unfortunately, Stage 2 seems to be providing some difficulties as I cannot recover my PSN account to sign in. The network is getting destroyed. Reentering this password is the most frustrating part of the whole experience so far.

I think I got a busted console as well. System was crashing every time I tried to download the update, so on the suggestion of someone here, I tried the USB method. Got pretty far with that, but now every time I turn the system on, I get the flashing red light and the system shuts down. I even moved it out of my TV stand thinking the ventilation might be bad. Same thing keeps happening. Not sure if I should keep trying or just send it back to Amazon.

Leave it alone for 30 mins, it is overheating.

Hopefully by the time I get mine Monday, PSN won't be getting hammered and maybe some issues will have been pin pointed or resolved.

It was semi-usable this morning and late last night. Although I keep getting errors when I try to download contrast and DC Universe Online. They error out for some reason.

:/

Where can I test rumble in the UI? Is that possible? My thing doesn't rumble.

Go to Playroom. There is an option of something like "I don't have a camera, show me what playroom is."

It will let you use the Motion Controls, and it will show you the multi vibration motors. You can feel them that way to test if they work.

-PXG-

I'm hard to please. I have high expectations, even more so after building a gaming PC. With that said, I've never had this much fun with a new console, or at least, not for a very long time. I feel like a kid again. I've had a PS3 since 2007. With the exceptions to Uncharted 2 and Puppeteer, I've never had this much fun with a Sony console, ever. I've had more fun in just one day than I've had with my PS3 in over 6 years.

Ladies and gentlemen. The PS4 is the real deal. It's legit. Sony isn't fucking around. It's a helluva impressive machine with smooth, seamless and smart functionality. It's not perfect. It will be improved over time. But as is, on the first day, I'm truly blown away. Sony has made it loud and clear that they are serious, that they are aggressive and that they are prepared to dish out formidable competition.

I'm not kidding. This isn't some rose tinted, honey moon, new car smell, fanboy bullshit. The PS4 is truly a fantastic product.

FHIZ

So I just got the thing, and since PSN is being bent over right now, I can't log in, is there a way to skip it in the set up?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Between this and my Nexus 5 delivery time, I've come to believe I am the absolute last stop on UPS' shipping route.

tirminyl

Between this and my Nexus 5 delivery time, I've come to believe I am the absolute last stop on UPS' shipping route.

I'm with ya!!! I've been staring out the window all day waiting to see a brown truck. I tried holding the deliver but they couldn't find the order when I gave them my shipping number, so it's nothing but the waiting game.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I am overly paranoid. The main worry I have now is that my PS4 is going to be DOA and I will have had to wait until Monday to find that out. :(

harSon

Banned
I didn't think through the next generation of consoles. I just bought new speakers and a new receiver last month (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F0H88SY/?tag=neogaf0e-20), and just realized the fact that both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One are digital only. My receiver is Analog :(

It's easily fixed with a DAC, but I was hoping to experience the PS4 to its fullest capacity this weekend...

meanspartan

Gonna repost my earlier question in hopes someone has an answer:

Standby mode is awesome and I have been leaving it on that instead of fully turning it off. My concern though is it warns you to turn it totally off before unplugging the power. While I don't ever plan on yanking the power randomly, is it possible a power outage could damage a Ps4 in standby mode? Should I be turning it off instead?

Gaz_RB

Damn... every time something really badass happens in BF4 and I try to save the video, I get disconnected from the match.

Gonna repost my earlier question in hopes someone has an answer:

Standby mode is awesome and I have been leaving it on that instead of fully turning it off. My concern though is it warns you to turn it totally off before unplugging the power. While I don't ever plan on yanking the power randomly, is it possible a power outage could damage a Ps4 in standby mode? Should I be turning it off instead?

It's more of a precaution. I wouldn't worry about it, honestly.

I haven't had a single issue with logging onto or playing PSN. I don't seem to be able to get to things like my privacy settings though.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I had some HDMI oddities, seemed similar to the other ones that have been reported. Did the initial boot-up et cetera with no issues, but upon updating to 1.50 the system stopped outputting entirely and also somehow disabled all HDMI inputs on my TV.

Restarted the TV and the receiver and everything's golden now. Seemed like some bizarre handshaking issue or something that occurred once 1.50 tried outputting for the first time.

protonion

Could someone try something for me?
Delete a big file from the hd.
Recently I wanted to make room in my ps3 and deleted the gt5 file. It was over 10gb and it took a while. I think minutes.

Alright, I'm tired of waiting for PSN. Can someone tell me what happens to my save data/trophies if I just start the Killzone SF campaign right now with the default "User 1" and attach my real PSN account to it later? Will I lose anything, or not have the trophies linked to me?

Fonz72

How in the hell do I play a game while it is downloading? When I click on the game it just takes me to the downloading screen. Also nothing is giving me the download single/mulit player option, it just starts downloading?

Would really appreciate some help. This was supposed to be one of the most touted features of the console and I have been sitting here for the past 4 hours waiting on shit to download.

Resogun downloaded, but its small soooooooo

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I had some HDMI oddities, seemed similar to the other ones that have been reported. Did the initial boot-up et cetera with no issues, but upon updating to 1.50 the system stopped outputting entirely and also somehow disabled all HDMI inputs on my TV.

Restarted the TV and the receiver and everything's golden now. Seemed like some bizarre handshaking issue or something that occurred once 1.50 tried outputting for the first time.
Eh? Disabled the inputs on your TV? How did that manifest itself? That is supremely weird.

Gaz_RB

Alright, I'm tired of waiting for PSN. Can someone tell me what happens to my save data/trophies if I just start the Killzone SF campaign right now with the default "User 1" and attach my real PSN account to it later? Will I lose anything, or not have the trophies linked to me?

Trophies are linked, progress carries over when you can finally log in

How in the hell do I play a game while it is downloading? When I click on the game it just takes me to the downloading screen. Also nothing is giving me the download single/mulit player option, it just starts downloading?

Would really appreciate some help. This was supposed to be one of the most touted features of the console and I have been sitting here for the past 4 hours waiting on shit to download.

Lucky you! I have nothing to play :(

Nakazato

5 hours for 3 gbs... Sony underestimated

Im having the same issue...

I can't handle this right now. My girlfriend got me a vita to go with the ps4. I'm at work right now on break using my phone's wifi to connect to my ps4 remotely and play Killzone Shadowfall ;_; I want to go home right now this is amazing.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The system was delivered around 1pm, but I'm at work until at least 9 tonight, and I have to come in this weekend for overtime. I'm having my wife grab it from the downstairs office, but I told her I'd hook it up when I got home. I already have the firmware update downloaded onto a USB stick.

drproton

I don't think Sony mandates PlayGo for 3rd party games.

Vark

Man that sucks. Is it straight to your TV or through a receiver? Same setup as your old system or a new setup completely?

I've done it reciever to TV, straight to TV, into a laptop video capture card, and into a totally different TV just to be sure.

I've tried it with 4 different HDMI cables, I've done the HDD thing, I measured the depth of the HDMI port and how far the cable goes into it so it's definitely not an obstruction.

It's just flat out broken.

Karak

I've done it reciever to TV, straight to TV, into a laptop video capture card, and into a totally different TV just to be sure.

I've tried it with 4 different HDMI cables, I've done the HDD thing, I measured the depth of the HDMI port and how far the cable goes into it so it's definitely not an obstruction.

Ya ok. Pretty much was going to be the questions I would ask. Sorry:( We just had 2 of our coworkers and both don't work. So I asked them to plug the system into HDMI's that were running Xbox 360's. Still didn't work. I started to think it was a handshake issue, I deal with them constantly when installing systems but this seems to be just different and doesn't error on the tv like other handshakes do.

Trophies are linked, progress carries over when you can finally log in

Thanks, breh. Forget PSN for now, I'm going in fresh.

Who needs console accounts in 2013 anyway? I'll pop my PS4's cherry the same way I popped my PS1's. I should play without a HDD for maximum nostalgia.

Mine too man. :(

Shadow780

So is it my hallucination or the SIXAXIS is improved? I was playing Flower and the control seems way more responsive.

Also, DAT GRAFIX, holy shit.

Top Bottom