• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

sainraja

TNaIVcY.png

PS5 Pro, 2TB, at 699$ on one hand, Series X, 2TB, at 599$ on the other. Series X comes with a disc drive, PS5 Pro doesn't.

PS5 Pro is currently marketed as a 4k, 60fps, RT machine, twice as powerful as a base PS5.

Reading the first pages of this Thread, as well as the results of the "Sony can screw itself" option in this poll, left me wondering.. can "high end console gaming" ever be a thing?

Or should every machine within the Console realm be imperatively as affordable as possible to the masses?
Should the option of playing current generation games at 60fps with high resolution and pristine IQ, along with higher settings, remain an unattainable dream for every kind of individual willing to purchase a console, if it traslates into $699?

GAF, please help me understand.

Wait.. so the XSX releasing this holiday 2024 is also a mid-gen upgrade for Xbox like the PS5 Pro? How did I miss that?

dorkimoe

Look no further than this forum. There is a segment of gamers who will pay anything for sony and thinks sony can do no wrong. Supporting this greed is dooming the future of gaming.

Also calling people poor or saying the disc drive is dated anyway is just insane, chill out with that. Everyone has different reasons for the way they do things, just because you play digital doesnt mean everyone else does

Last edited:

Xyphie

It's a overpriced special edition. Not any different from the inevitable overpriced 30th anniversary PS5 in PSX colors coming this holiday season.

Last edited:

ap_puff

This really isn't about arrogance. This is about the CFO of Sony, who was their interrim CEO earlier this year. He wants margin above everything so they can juice the stock price of Sony corp. If people paid attention to what was being said in the past few quarterly financials, you knew this was coming. Sony is done taking a loss on hardware.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Your major mistake was putting Series X vs PS5 PRO

PRO is more capable machine and the price reflect that.

Compare Series X vs PS5 and it will be more appropriate since they are around same level powerwise.

sainraja

Because it's not an upgrade beyond higher capacity SSD. It's an overpriced special edition.
That is what I thought it was, but everyone seems to be comparing it with the PS5 Pro, suggesting that they are equally comparable? Am I missing something here?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Price is a non-issue for me, its a premium console. The amount of hours of entertainment my PS has given me, I can justify the one time high price.

The issue is they announce ZERO new games or gave any incentive to buy it. They just expect you to buy it. No need to reveal or even hint at any new games.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I really feel that the selling point for this is PS4 backward Boosts. All the new game stuff will look marginally better but up to 46% increase not given and not al games will max that 46% that's theoretical uplift screams PS6 discover console. Will I buy one? YES but I don't think a lot of people need to buy this unless you're an enthusiast. I don't see mom and pops buying this for Johnny. This price point also allows them to keep PS5 at current levels.

“Return”? Where did arrogant Sony go? They’ve been in place since the PS3 barley edged out the 360 in the end of the gen and they made that insane comeback from last place to first place

ToadMan

Well, the Apollo computers cost $200,000 (not adjusted for inflation!).

So, by your logic a PS5 pro should be like $10 billion.

Which is a facile way of saying, you cannot compare obsolete technology - PS5, xbox series x or s - with a newly designed and specced system, and the cost to produce and sell that system today.

Last edited:
So people wanted a Pro console, just didn't want to pay for one?
I think we are having the wrong conversations here.

Is the PS5 Pro a good mid-gen upgrade or is it not? If not, then it doesn't matter what price they ask.
I think the price is too high, but even if it’s fair you have to pay extra for a disc drive and something as simple as a vertical stand. This is Sony taking liberties with its loyal fan base.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
“Return”? Where did arrogant Sony go? They’ve been in place since the PS3 barley edged out the 360 in the end of the gen and they made that insane comeback from last place to first place
They were seriously humbled after the PS3 hack. After Jack Tretton apologized, they really did seem to pivot.

Vick

Gold Member
Except that you can buy Series X new at 500$€, even less.

Your picture is for the 2TB Galaxy limited edition.
And?

It's still a Series X being sold by Microsoft, and no, you can't buy a 2TB Series X for $500.

Sounds like a challenge.
Eh, question wasn't really for someone like you, let's just say:

Twice as powerful???
iTo5deT.png

Hudo

I am sorry, but 800€ for a fucking console is ridiculous. And If you want to buy a disc drive for it, it's an extra 120€. So like 920€ in total. There's no argument that makes this price point reasonable.

Top Bottom