• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Pricing Discussion Thread

Senua

Gold Member
Twice as powerful?

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC
Grease Exaggerate GIF by Paramount+

Fabieter

I don't think either is priced as it should. A premium console should offer a premium experience without the need of asking for basic shit like a freaking stand or a discdrive. Sonys current leadership is out of their mind. They talked about rasing profitability. It's greed nothing more nothing less.

Atrus

Gold Member
I’m pretty sure this is early adopter pricing.

I expect price drops next year on the regular models and the Pro.

Three

Look no further than this forum. There is a segment of gamers who will pay anything for sony and thinks sony can do no wrong. Supporting this greed is dooming the future of gaming.

Also calling people poor or saying the disc drive is dated anyway is just insane, chill out with that. Everyone has different reasons for the way they do things, just because you play digital doesnt mean everyone else does
Somebody who planned to buy a 4090:

Screenshot-20240910-205323-Chrome.jpg

Has absolutely no right to be talking about "supporting greed" for a $700 entire system and controller.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Arrogant Sony returned a while ago when they decided to launch not one but 3 AAA cross gen games 2 years into this generation then skip multiple E3s focusing on GaaS thinking they can do whatever the fuck they want and succeed. MS's own fuckups all but ensured that too.

They raised the price of PS5 and PS+ subs last year. If thats not arrogant i dont know what is.

Glad to see others finally catching on though.

For all the people talking about greedy Sony, this is a pro console for enthusiasts and whatever margin they are making on this is not extreme relative to what you see with computer components or phones
Yeah, bullshit. PS4 pro was the exact same price as PS4 when it launched. This is just sony trying to play catch up with Apple's strategy of buy bunch of our add ons for full experience strategy.

Catphish

I, personally, was somewhat interested, having recently given my dad my PS4 Pro because his PS4 died. I was considering it for College Football and NHL.

But with these prices, they can go kick rocks. Ain't no fucking way I'm paying close to $1000 for a fucking console, especially when I've bought 2 different DualSense controllers for PC play, only to have them both end up with stick drift after a few months.

Interest evaporated, moving on.

Last edited:

sainraja

I think the price is too high, but even if it’s fair you have to pay extra for a disc drive and something as simple as a vertical stand. This is Sony taking liberties with its loyal fan base.
Having a disc drive standard isn't going to be the future unfortunately and I kinda saw this coming with the disc drive add-on being a thing. I wasn't expecting the price to be $699.99 but I was sure that whatever price they announce, the reaction to it won't be positive lol.

Still, I think we are asking the wrong question. The disc drive is not the most important thing, are the other upgrades worth the asking price? If the answer is no, then again, it doesn't matter what they ask, it's not going to be worth it.

Last edited:

Reaseru

I really hope Nintendo announces the Switch 2 in the next months. I done with Playstation.

The moment I see a company trying to ripoff its most loyal consumers, it's the time to walk away.

For the better multiplats I have the Series X. I was going today to buy Space Marine 2 for the PS5, but after this presentation, not anymore...from today onwards, games like this (with better performance on xbox), I will buy them for the MS console.

Last edited:

scydrex

your video card gives you access to literally millions of games. Your ps5 pro gives you access to what? a couple hundred.
Enough comparing consoles to PC's they arent the same and never will be.
I don't have a PC, netither a monitor, mouse or keyboard. What do i do with $700-800 build a Pc or get a Ps5 pro?

sainraja

No offense but that is a bad take. Acting oblivious to the problem doesn't suddenly make the problem go away.

Burying your head in the sand to not see the problems or acknowledge them is what makes these companies more and more greedy in the first place.
It's a mid-gen upgrade which is not going to be required to play PS5 games. So, people should speak up with their wallets. Gaming is a luxury as it is. PS5 Pro is definitely not a must.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I don't have a PC, netither a monitor, mouse or keyboard. What do i do with $700-800 build a Pc or get a Ps5 pro?
thats a completely different scenario lol. If you have neither, then you just decide which one youll use more!

Lol 😆

Concerned troll busted
LOL you guys are insane. Busted for what? asking a question about a graphics card that was priced at that point in which i didnt even buy cuz the price was ridiculous? YOU GOT ME! Love to know how im trolling just because i disagree with you though.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony sent this out at this price to make however much money they can make. Once GTAVI hits they will market it as the best way to to play and lower the price a bit.

That's what I think will happen.

Unless it doesn't sell at all.

However, I honestly think it will sell out in minutes of pre-orders going live.

Mownoc

Nah. Them making a product that is priced too high to appeal to most console gamers doesn't make them arrogant.

If they tell people to get 2nd jobs again though let me know.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
For all the people talking about greedy Sony, this is a pro console for enthusiasts and whatever margin they are making on this is not extreme relative to what you see with computer components or phones
Peak Sony shill lmao.

"Hey guys, thank Sony they're fucking you with a 13 inch dildo. NVIDIA over there is fucking their people with a 14 inch one."

Last edited:

Catphish

No offense but that is a bad take. Acting oblivious to the problem doesn't suddenly make the problem go away.

Burying your head in the sand to not see the problems or acknowledge them is what makes these companies more and more greedy in the first place.
To be fair, it's only a problem if it's a need. This obviously is not.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is Microsoft arrogant also for releasing the Xbox series x 2tb for 599? You get a whole Lot power more for that extra 100 dollar with a ps5 pro of you ask me. A steam deck oled 1tb is a whopping 680 euro. And that thing is underpowered.
Microsoft is not arrogant, they are irrelevant.

Also that Steam Deck Oled can be had with 512 gb for around 500. And if you don't care about oled..... oh boy

Last edited:
I voted "no" purely because we've been dealing with arrogant Sony the entire generation. It didn't just start.

(1) Base PS5 has never dropped in price. In fact, it has increased in price in some regions.

(2) $200 pro controller.

(3) A portable that's not actually portable.

(4) A VR headset that's more expensive than the associated console.

(5) Remaster, port, remaster, port, live service trash, repeat.

And the sad part is, they can get away with nearly all of it because they're beating their competitors so severely.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I really hope Nintendo announces the Switch 2 in the next months. I done with Playstation.

The moment I see a company trying to ripoff its most loyal consumers, it's the time to walk away.

For the better multiplats I have the Series X. I was going today to buy Space Marine 2 for the PS5, but after this presentation, not anymore...from today onwards, games like this (with better performance on xbox), I will buy them for the MS console.
The same MS selling an XSX with no upgrades for $599....

Yes, arrogant Sony is back. Arrogant Sony has actually been back for awhile. Just look at how lazy they have been since it became obvious PS4 was going to dominate the Xbone. And now this gen, Sony’s software output should have them struggling for sales but it’s the opposite. We only have ourselves to blame.

The thing about the PS3 era arrogant Sony was fierce competition lit a fire under their asses and we got an amazing generation of games because of it. Now there is no competition for them to worry about. Have you enjoyed this gen of mostly remasters/remakes of PS3/4 titles and a few sequels with what, one or two new IP? And one of those new IP only lasted two weeks. This is Sony going forward. What incentive do they have to do anything other than chase trends with their software.

And before anyone whines green rat to me, nah, Microsoft is right where they deserve to be. Also pretty meh software wise, Series S nonsense, etc.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
This is an optional mid-gen upgrade, there's nothing arrogant about it.

However, there is literally zero competition on the market right now. They're first to the market for console enthusiasts once again.

I won't buy a PS5 Pro, but I'm not their target market so it doesn't matter.

If this was their main offering for the generation — I'd be beyond disgusted.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Arrested Development Drama GIF

Eimran

Anyone who has followed consoles for a while has probably noticed some cyclical trends in the industry. For example, Nintendo releasing blockbuster consoles one gen followed by far more modest sales the next. Or Sony releasing peripherals and sending them out to die. For whatever reason, these types of patterns seem to reoccur over and over again.

The PS5 Pro announcement in some ways reminded me of the PS3 announcement. And it echoes what we've seen recently with them chasing the GaaS unicorn to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Right now, I think Sony believes that people will buy whatever they put out just because it has the word PlayStation on it. They seem incredibly out of touch with their customer base, sacrificing good ideas and putting out either products that no one asked for or, in the case of the PS5 Pro, a value proposition that's so bad it seems insulting.

The PS5 Pro:
  1. $700+ tax U.S. (our poor European members are getting reamed even worse than that)
  2. $80 extra dollars for a disc drive (with tax, this console is now over $800
  3. Not even a STAND included so you can buy that separately, too
This is the height of arrogance. Midway through the PS3 generation, Sony seemed to acknowledge their missteps in thinking they were assured people's purchases and made a strong pivot from an arrogant position to a humbler one. From that point on, PlayStation entered a golden age of gaming quality and diversity that lasted through the entire generation of the PS4.

I hope this pro console bombs so it sends them a message. They need to listen to what their customers want, not what they want their customers to want.

Does anyone agree, or do you think I'm being too harsh here?

Definitely. The worst world for Playstation fans is Sony without competition.

If only the fanboys realized that competition benefits the costumer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom