• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro you buying?

are you still buying?

• Total voters

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
You do realise there is no sli on the pro right?
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

Crayon

They've added the "best thing" tax on there. Everyone balked at the 4090 price, but it was clearly the best option and nvidia took advantage of that.

$780 for this thing and a drive? I would be able to afford that but I'm not made of money, here. I was expecting a $300 trade-up. This would be closer to 500.

We'll have a look at what it can do for newer games but I'm not expecting any crazy upgrade. If performance is a problem on ps5, I can play them on pc. And I don't mean buy a $780 gpu, I mean just turn down the setting a bit.

Honestly Sony is just selling you a cheaper gaming PC at this point, one that has a library of games controlled by them.
Why wouldn’t you at this point spend a couple hundred more and build a mid grade gaming PC, one that is more powerful, can be used for other stuff such as school/work/hobbies, will be able to play all the Sony exclusives with maybe a timed delay, access to a huge library of past games and current and future releases on Steam/Epic/GOG, never have to worry about backward and forward compatibility, never have to worry about Sony dropping support for the machine 10 years from now.

You basically have to just want to give Sony money to do this.

xrnzaaas

I knew they became arrogant again, but yeah, they've set a new bar. 800€ for a digital model... so that's going to be 900 or more for a (proper) disc model. I wouldn't pay that much even if base PS5 was struggling as much as PS4 when the Pro model came.

ElFenomeno

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5 PRO, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony publicly apologize and cancel the Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

To be honest, this needs to fail. I love Sony and PlayStation, but they're getting too big for their boots... and this feels like another PS3 moment with pure greed. This pricing will bite them in the ass.
Still going on with this bullshit ? The PS5 Pro is probably overpriced (and sort of pointless, anyway) but the PS3 was an incredible offer for the hardware...

bundylove

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase PS5 PRO, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony publicly apologize and cancel the Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.
There is a console for people like you.
Series s. Plays all current gen games.

Alebrije

huh-dog.gif

DelireMan7

Never bought a pro console. I don't see the interest for my way of enjoying game.

So no I will not buy it. Especially at this price.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
After my initial reaction I think I'm more okay with it but it's $100 too much probably given they added that extra terabyte of space. At the same time 2 terabytes is a lot when it's that fast storage. And I am also going to echo my first sentiment when's talking about the modern economy. People think we are in the booming times where everything is just rocking and rolling. It is not like that and it is not like that to the regular consumer and these companies are feeling the pinch of inflation just like some of us are.

That being said, we are a bunch of grown ups here last time I checked. If you can afford it do it if not get yourself that lower model that is going to play the games just fine and it is an awesome system. I do agree with what EviLore EviLore earlier in that in a market where people are spending $1,000 like it's nothing and acting like that's not a lot, and then get upset when we're paying a slight bit more for another piece of premium technology.

It's a slippery slope of acceptance of the times we're in and that the shifting and pricing is climbing a little bit faster at this point. Or like I said before, sometimes I feel like maybe there's some children here or something that can't afford things. Because we all do splurge and buy stupid shit that is more expensive than it should be.

I've come back to earth and accepted it and probably will be pre-ordering September 26th because I don't have a PS5 right now and I want to catch up on some of the old games and the new stuff that's coming, especially GTA 6.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Honestly if there were a shitload of exciting PS5 exclusives/timed exclusives on the horizon, I’d have no hesitation spending that much to get the best experience possible.

I just don’t see much that I would use it for.

M1987

No, I'll just wait for a PS6,and upgrade to a 5000 series next year.£700 for a console without a disc drive is a fucking joke

Flabagast

Honestly Sony is just selling you a cheaper gaming PC at this point, one that has a library of games controlled by them.
Why wouldn’t you at this point spend a couple hundred more and build a mid grade gaming PC, one that is more powerful, can be used for other stuff such as school/work/hobbies, will be able to play all the Sony exclusives with maybe a timed delay, access to a huge library of past games and current and future releases on Steam/Epic/GOG, never have to worry about backward and forward compatibility, never have to worry about Sony dropping support for the machine 10 years from now.

+ way cheaper game prices if you are fully digital

FeralEcho

Fuck no!!! They've gone completely mental!!!

Mixed Martial Arts Middle Finger GIF by UFC

I have all PS consoles but I'm not buying this overpriced piece of shit. I was already thinking they became too arogant and greedy with all their shit initiatives this generation and was thinking the PS6 was gonna be 700$ but even I underestimated just how depraved they became as a company as they managed to price the 5 PRO at 800$ even without Microsoft exiting the hardware business yet....Just imagine how greedy they'll get when Microsoft is really out of the hardware business. This shit is just a teaser.

They are dead to me as a company and honestly this sealed the deal for me for going retro along with a Switch succesor next gen (If the games are there)

Modern gaming can suck my ass. It's all talk of fps and resolution without the fun to acompany the product. Had more fun lately playing PS1 games than the modern junk that gets flung our way nowadays( even if there are exceptions like Astrobot,but too few and far between and certainly not worth 800$)

What's more pathetic is all they did was show games from 2-4 years ago with slightly better res or performance as If its some complete game changer lmao. As if that's gonna make the woke pos that is Spiderman 2 any fucking better.

Not only that but these games shown,most of them already have PS4 versions alongside the original PS5 versions. So it's literally like showing a remaster of a remaster lmao Not even the PS4 PRO showcase was this awful.

They're just taking the piss at this point but for sure the fanboys will be there to kiss their ass no matter what in the same way the Xbox fanboys did for Microsoft 14 years ago after Xbox started going downhill...And we all see how that turned out,so keep digging guys!

I am waiting to see if it is worth it. I only have a 1080p television (3d TV), so I do not care at all about 4K. For me it will be framerate and graphical features. If the fps or the graphics are that much better than the PS5 base then I might consider it, but that would be more for new games and not for the games I have already completed. I need to see a game developed for PS5 Pro where the PS5 version is obviously inferior.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That being said, we are a bunch of grown ups here last time I checked. If you can afford it do it if not get yourself that lower model that is going to play the games just fine and it is an awesome system.
Just because I'm working doesn't mean I'm willing to pay that much money on system that DOESN'T even come with disc drive and vertical stand.

Not to mention new Nintendo system is in horizon. If have to choose between which one I'm willing to spend my money on then I would choose Nintendo because it actual new system not same system with slight upgrade.

Edit: 120 FPS and 8K is meaningless unless you have the TV to supported.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Dang man, what a world we live in.
Launch disc PS5 was $500 and now I'm looking at $780 for the mid-gen upgrade.
I wonder what the PS5 trade in will be like.

sainraja

$699 USD and they won't even include the disc drive or the plastic stand

Sony can go fuck themselves
Yeah, I don't like that either but I haven't used the disc drive on my PS5 since.... well, since I got it. So I can see why it wasn't prioritized with the Pro. I want to know what the size of the storage will be. Did they say anything about that or did I just overlook that in the blog?

EDIT: I have seen others post saying it is 2TB so not bad if this is true. I was expecting 1TB.

*$180

Gotta add the disc drive for an honest comparison.
No.. that's not really an honest comparison.

Last edited:

Taycan77

Neophyte
Of course I'm buying.

Helps I also sold my PS5 some time ago so am refreshed to get back into gaming.

The results of this poll are no surprise, 15-20% committed to buy, another 20% interested but need more info. 60% no interest.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Epic is giving free games. Steam gives you ridiculously good deals. You have key sellers. Buying games on consoles is paying premium. Everyone I know who moved from console to PC is saying this.

near

Gold Member
After my initial reaction I think I'm more okay with it but it's $100 too much probably given they added that extra terabyte of space. At the same time 2 terabytes is a lot when it's that fast storage. And I am also going to echo my first sentiment when's talking about the modern economy. People think we are in the booming times where everything is just rocking and rolling. It is not like that and it is not like that to the regular consumer and these companies are feeling the pinch of inflation just like some of us are.

That being said, we are a bunch of grown ups here last time I checked. If you can afford it do it if not get yourself that lower model that is going to play the games just fine and it is an awesome system. I do agree with what EviLore EviLore earlier in that in a market where people are spending $1,000 like it's nothing and acting like that's not a lot, and then get upset when we're paying a slight bit more for another piece of premium technology.

It's a slippery slope of acceptance of the times we're in and that the shifting and pricing is climbing a little bit faster at this point. Or like I said before, sometimes I feel like maybe there's some children here or something that can't afford things. Because we all do splurge and buy stupid shit that is more expensive than it should be.

I've come back to earth and accepted it and probably will be pre-ordering September 26th because I don't have a PS5 right now and I want to catch up on some of the old games and the new stuff that's coming, especially GTA 6.
Couldn't articulate it better than this. Well said.

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
The "just get a pc" argument that always gets trotted out fails to realize that there are many people who just prefer the console experience over PC. Also possibly have extensive libraries tied to console stores...not steam.

sainraja

Ah well. I suppose I shouldn’t expect everyone to be on board with common sense comparisons.
So, you think a disk drive is worth more than the other upgrades in the PS5 Pro?
Yeah, I guess not, lol.

Specially when digital sales are going up.

EDIT:
I am not saying removing the disc drive in the pro was the right call but it's where gaming is headed. I haven't bought physical since... the PS4 Pro and many others are doing the same unfortunately. You are trying to compare two consoles and putting a lot of weight into the disc drive, for customers interested in a mid-gen upgrade for PS5 Pro. One console has that (upgrades) while the other does not but does have a disc drive so I guess we can ignore everything else?

Last edited:

Taycan77

Neophyte

Console gaming is a more enjoyable and frankly superior experience for most people. I like high end tech, the one exception to that is my PC/laptop. A budget option does all I need for work, media and some retro gaming. Pair that with the best console of the day and it's a far better value proposition than chasing high end PC gaming.

Top Bottom