• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Ever heard of credit-debit cards? It actually says the funds are reserved which is what happens when you make a charge to one.

I am not commenting on the picture itself really or the situation.
All I am going to say is that my bank statement looks pretty much exactly the same right now but mine wasn't stolen.
I bought a PS3, paid a month of bills, bought my gf's birthday presents, her son's birthday presents so forth and so on.
It still says my account is 0.
I can point to some really odd charges from out of the country but but the secret is that I know what they are because they are the gifts.
I do not know the poster all I am saying is that a statement is a statement.
Would be interesting to know how much that amount translates to in USD though.

Sblargh

Banned
Yes. Sony should be asked and law enforcement agencies should not only be working torwards getting the hacker, but also investigating if Sony complied with security standard. Some pages back I said something like we don't know how Sony's security is so we don't know how much of it was their fault. So this is it, this is how we find out and if it turns out Sony security really is a piece of shit, then I really hope legal measures are taken against them.

Hex

Banned
Mr_Elysia said:
I believe he said twelve and a half thousand Hex.
AH was not sure whether that was in USD or another denomination.

Sblargh said:
Yes. Sony should be asked and law enforcement agencies should not only be working torwards getting the hacker, but also investigating if Sony complied with security standard. Some pages back I said something like we don't know how Sony's security is so we don't know how much of it was their fault. So this is it, this is how we find out and if it turns out Sony security really is a piece of shit, then I really hope legal measures are taken against them.

Fairly sure we would know by now if there was anything sub standard considering the FBI and others have been involved in the situation for days.
Honestly it does not matter because people will believe what they want to believe even if it is shown that they were fully following standards.
I think all of the big three will be highlighting security in their next systems and I think a revamp of regulations will probably be in order.

Hex said:
I am not commenting on the picture itself really or the situation.
All I am going to say is that my bank statement looks pretty much exactly the same right now but mine wasn't stolen.
I bought a PS3, paid a month of bills, bought my gf's birthday presents, her son's birthday presents so forth and so on.
It still says my account is 0.
I can point to some really odd charges from out of the country but but the secret is that I know what they are because they are the gifts.
I do not know the poster all I am saying is that a statement is a statement.
Would be interesting to know how much that amount translates to in USD though.

Look dude, I'm not having a go at you or anyone else here but people really need to have more of an open mind. The facts are:

- Sony has admitted they do not know for sure if CC information was compromised
- The US Congress thinks this aspect of the issue is important enough to send a letter to SCEJ
- People are seeing charges and anomalies on their cards which they can't explain

Now, the latter might be because they never look at their statement unless they're worried about dodgy charges. It might be because they've used that card on PSN in the past and their bank has issued a lock on it until all the facts are out. Or it could be because their credit card account has been compromised.

The attitude "PICS OR GTFO" is unhelpful basically. If you're convinced for whatever reason that no credit-card data was stolen in the intrusion, well then you're being irrational because even Sony aren't convinced of that. If on the other hand you have a genuine concern then help the guy out. The info from you which I've quoted in this post is really useful and would have helped to set his mind at ease somewhat until he could find out more.

jim-jam bongs said:
Look dude, I'm not having a go at you or anyone else here but people really need to have more of an open mind. The facts are:

- The US Congress thinks this aspect of the issue is important enough to send a letter to SCEJ
- People are seeing charges and anomalies on their cards which they can't explain

Now, the latter might be because they never look at their statement unless they're worried about dodgy charges. It might be because they've used that card on PSN in the past and their bank has issued a lock on it until all the facts are out. Or it could be because their credit card account has been compromised.

The attitude "PICS OR GTFO" is unhelpful basically. If you're convinced for whatever reason that no credit-card data was stolen in the intrusion, well then you're being irrational because even Sony aren't convinced of that. If on the other hand you have a genuine concern then help the guy out. The info from you which I've quoted in this post is really useful and would have helped to set his mind at ease somewhat until he could find out more.

Some people are sensationalist and attention whores who need to ride the wave of hysteria. Since Sony has released its press statement, all I've seen is an influx of my credit card/debit card shows a mysterious purchase. Half of the time, it's a pending transaction not debited yet and it turns out to be a legitimate purchase. The other half is just fabrication. Nonetheless, I don't quite think it's a pics or gtfo mentality. I believe people are just tired of the mass hysteria without any proof yet that cc info was stolen.

Raistlin

jim-jam bongs said:
Ever heard of credit-debit cards? It actually says the funds are reserved which is what happens when you make a charge to one.
I'm aware of such cards, that's why I said it wasn't a credit card ... they are quite different.

I'm not aware of any credit cards that would allow a purchase of that amount without getting confirmation from you (unless we're talking about an Amex Black card or something).

Progmetal said:
It's a credit card with 75000 kroner credit to use on it.
Maybe they handle things backwards in your county then.

We list balances as how much you owe. A balance of $0 would mean you owe nothing, not how much is left. Again though, I can't read what is listed ... so maybe the terminology makes it clearer.

Regardless, I'm confused how they were able to get the exact amount and how a card company could allow such a large charge without permission.

Are you stating your login was the same email as your PSN account, and the password was the same as well? How else would they know how much is available?

Hex

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:

I agree with you about the pics of GTFO thing.
As far as the other, I am cynical and it is partially because there is so much bullshit flowing around this thread and so much over dramatic bullshit.
So many people who have never used PSN throwing shit left and right (not just speaking about GAF - speaking about GAF, work, other boards I am on and people in real life.)
The credit card thing works both ways to be honest.
Like I said my mother is just finishing up dealing with a three week mess because her debit card got jacked somehow and used on the other side of the country.
I can assure you that she has never accessed the PSN and we really still have no idea how it happened because she is 80 and never really does anything online and never gives her information out.
Now if it had happened last week instead of three weeks ago, and if I still lived at home and used her credit card how easy would it be to blame Sony?
When I worked at Equifax I dealt with fraud charges constantly.

I am definitely not wanting to see any Gaffers get hosed, I just like facts.

I think both sides are a bit off of their rockers right now though.

alphaNoid

Banned
Nobody has to prove anything to anyone here, so those of you wanting pics need to get over it. If someone reports shady activity on their account, they have no obligation to link pictures to prove it.. you do however have the option to ignore every person who reports oddities or this thread entirely if your mind is convinced otherwise.

You're never going to know who is trolling or not, but people have the right to report oddities without the requirement of proving that. It does no good to sit here and demand proof, try as you might.

Sony isn't even sure, so nobody else should be.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You guys have about 5 hours and 30 minutes to get your bet in

WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST

Betting list closes at 12:01 AM PDT April 30th :)

This is for partial functionality, as in being able to login to PSN at minimum (but I'll list you if you only guess full funct.)

PRIZES ARE BEING OFFERED!
Whoever guesses the date correctly gets to choose between a $20 prize of your choice (PSN, MS Points, Nintendo Points, Steam, etc. as long as it's in North America) (thanks to Mr_Elysia), or a limited edition Xbox 360 faceplate from Zero Hour (thanks to Krakatoa). If there are multiple winners, I will use some randomizer thingy to chose a random winner. If no one guesses the date right, well...a random person from the whole pool will be chosen just for participating.
I will do another drawing for the prize that the winner didn't choose within the winning date pool. If only 1 person guessed the correct date, then everyone will be in the pool.

Keep in mind, we'll use the USA region to determine when PSN goes up, and it will be based on the Pacific time zone. So if it goes up at 11:59 PM PDT on May 4th, then May 4th is the winning date.

If your name isn't listed or is in the wrong date, let me know

April 29 - EL Beefo, demigod
April 30 - hikarutilmitt, Rewrite, YianGaruga, Sblargh, Adamm, rSpooky, Manji Silk Boss, x3sphere
May 1 - Marius_, ULTROS!, ApolloJoh, RbBrdMan, mr stroke, Tonza, jayb, Trin3785, dirkdiggy, robut, mufraka, Beam, B1gg_Randall, darkwing, JazzmanZ, rainking187, DR3AM, Lonely1, Koodo
May 2 - Wario64, Hex, AwesomeSauce, Dead Man, plainr_, pharmboy044, chubigans, KingOfKong, Miutsu, reKon, PigSpeakers, Jinfash, Complexgod, onQ123, Trevelyon, Kccitystar, Killthee, Fistwell, Atruvius, Jaroof, polyh3dron, shagg_187, LiK, Jax, get2sammyb, Giriath_89, grkazan12, electroshockwave, Hanmik, TheSeks, enewtabie, The_Darkest_Red, aristotle, fadetoblack, Zoibie, Sp3eD, Oni Jazar, Withnail, giancarlo123x, caliblue15, TheBrain76, Cloudius12, Firehead, FINALBOSS, Toki767, Chrange, Cruzader, baekshi, ShineALight, Akuosa, GTP_Daverytimes, Infernodash, .JayZii, Seraphis Cain, Agent X, jcm
May 3 - xaosslug, arnoldocastillo2003, Professor Beef, gutter_trash, Dreamgazer, QuantumBro, RustyNails, ZeroRay, polg, daegan, Stoffinator, angelfly, StunandStab, Kaizer, Revolutionary, spats, Xater, lawblob, MooMoo, hirokazu, DMeisterJ, cjtiger300, Dedication Through Light, KenOD, No_Style, DaBuddaDa, gl0w, BLSwagger10, Kung Fu Grip, vilmer_, xKilltheMx, spindashing, phosphor112, Paznos, DenogginizerOS, Zoe, Shalashaska, Majine, LyleLanley, Rebel Leader, gregor7777, FunkyPajamas, Dark Schala, Crewnh, thegreatchamp, maxte, iCon, AniHawk, Lion Heart, Irish, -Pyromaniac-, ZZMitch, Carl, Sadaiyappan, Ericsc, androvsky, CatPee, Vormund, ShortBus, HaRyu, Returners, Purexed, LugNut74, Big Papa Husker
May 4 - Ickman3400, RPGCrazied, Sword Familiar, Prodigal, V_Ben, BeeDog, PjotrStroganov, Mr_Brit, Neuromancer, Rikyfree, darkjedi187, Ikkarus, iNvidious01, Billychu, Mikey Jr., raebodep, lastinline, Arpharmd B, sn1pes, kinoki, Manticore, offshore, Whogie, jackb2424, notworksafe, WonkyPanda, Mr Pockets, BobTheFork, jsrv, Y2Kev, slayn, Mr.NiceGuy, NMan, theta11, Ark, Averon
May 5- upJTboogie, CcrooK, TOM f'N CRUISE, Voltron64, Marrshu, JLG-, upJTboogie, Metalmurphy, olimpia84, CadetMahoney, NYR, falconzss, MushroomSamba, Yenrot, Raistlin, vermadas, Hey You, OchreHand, gnat_, Shinriji
May 6 - Snack, UberTag, Aselith, StevePharma, Urban Scholar, _dementia, Xiul, ChocolateCupcakes, AnEternalEnigma, Relaxed Muscle, vulva, Family Fry, alr1ghtstart, stupei, S1lent, dangerbyrnes
May 7 - Dipindots, pslayer666, Persona7, AlberichMX, Bamelin
May 8 - nny, leroidys, BlueSummers, SoundWave, Hieberrr
May 9 - shintoki, Mooreberg, Proposed Law, blazinglazers, Violater, Epcott, webcivilian, Raoh, Jakfu
May 10 - Noshino, Baconbitz, CitizenCope, purple cobra, nckillthegrimace, Don, greyshark, gembel
May 11 - Kafel, timetokill, ithorien
May 12 - DavieC726, Beer Monkey, Divvy
May 13 - The Spoony Hou
May 14 - bernardobri
May 15 - Megadragon15, Jakeh111

May 17 - Winterblink, D4Danger
May 18 - keit4, izakq
May 19 - Mama Robotnik
May 20 - NeededSleep

May 23 - Ryu Hayabusa

May 25 - Firest0rm

May 27 - RPG_Fanatic

May 30 - DryEyeRelief, Angelcurio
May 31 - equap
June 1 - Sgt.Pepper
June 2 - SteelAttack

June 6 - DrForester, Hexadecimalt

June 16 - Brannon

June 31 - Lunchbox

July 4 - Krakatoa
July 5 - TigerUppercut

July 7 - nli10

Nov 1 - Net_Wrecker

Nov 11 - vissione

Dec 12 2012 - Combichristoffersen

Dec 21 2012 - Jal

Feb 29 2014(wait a minute...) - larvi

slayn

needs to show more effort.
reposting in case I was lost posting immediately before the last update:

WHEN DOES PSN GO UP NEOGAF BETTING LIST
may 4th

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Majine said:
Fuck. Even if I'm right, it's still gonna come down to luck again.

do-you-feel-lucky-punk.png

stupei

I'll go with May 6th.

That way even if I'm wrong, I'm happy. (Assuming I'm wrong because it's sooner rather than later...)

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Weird, wife just put Mass Effect 2 in for the first time and it downloaded an update. Still can't log in, though.

Majine said:
Fuck. Even if I'm right, it's still gonna come down to luck again.
The statistics are on the side of May 3ers :p The bell curve is shifted way to the left. May 2 sounds pretty legit though, new week and all.

noire said:
Weird, wife just put Mass Effect 2 in for the first time and it downloaded an update. Still can't log in, though.

The login servers are down but if you need to download an update for a game that will work.

Cruzader

Banned
androvsky said:
Okay, put me down for May 3.

On a side note, MonkeyPaw Games tweeted this in conjunction with a PSN giveaway they've been running for the last several days:
Did Monkeypaw games just say PSN users will get 10 PSN games for being patient or an I reading it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom