• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Absolutely shameless that it took them a week to put this out.

If I bought something in the past, removed the card from my account(which I always do), am I safe?

GodofWine

blazinglazers said:
So the hackers got nearly everything: logins, passwords, home and billing addresses, emails. Holy fuck.

Name / home address / email is pretty easy to get stuff...just worry about the CC info. and change the passwords on things were you use the same password as PSN that are financial related.

Diebuster

Thankfully I use a different password for PSN than all my other stuff so I think I'm good there as long as I can get in and change it. And I don't think CC info was taken or surely we'd have gotten mass reports of fraudulent spending by now.

Still, it's no good all that other data was taken. The whole situation just blows. =/

Tonza

Fuck... Have to close my CC again.

This is a major fuck-up and I'd imagine the end cost of this will be substantial if people start to sue.

Sean

Banned
What the fuck? It took Sony nearly a full week to alert customers their personal information and credit card data have been breached?

Kind of figured something was bad when the whole service was taken offline to rebuild, but jeez.. What a shitty way to handle this.

Miggytronz

oh boy i cant wait for E3 now.
KuGsj.gif

TommyT

*pulls out password that was used for PSN*...

fuck, my secure one. blargh Actually it was one based off an old girlfriends sorority
fuck you... that's pretty damn secure because who would think to guess THAT!!!
so I'm in the clear.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mello said:
I don't understand why people are directly blaming Sony. When it is well known that a bunch of hackers have been illegally cyber assaulting Sony with all kinds of trouble. It's pretty clear to me that these so called dumb fuckers who claim to be freedom fighters are the cause of all this malarkey.

I'm blaming sony for letting us know a WEEK after this breach what actually happened. All updates to this point have been telling us nothing, then they let us know what was actually comprised now. God awful PR.

Barrett2

I don't even want to know how much money this is going to cost them. The insurance and credit counseling alone for that many customers would cost countless millions, and that's just within the US. I could only assume the penalties are stiffer in Europe.

This is a major disaster for Sony.

JoeBoy101

subversus said:
lol @ people in this thread.

yeah, sue them. Also sue preemptively every other company in the world, because there are no firewalls that couldn't be breached.

Umm, almost a week before letting customers know? That alone is worth it considering if data like CC info is compromised, time is of the essence.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
commish said:
This is going to cost Sony so much money...

And for a long time to come, it won't be long before this news will be plastered on every gaming news site out there, it's going to take a lot for people to trust them again after this, I'm big Sony fan but I'm starting to lose my patience with Sony this generation, I don't think ever be purchasing anything from the Playstation store again after this fiasco.

Einbroch

Banned
Sony lost my trust. I will not be purchasing their next console.

Not only were they hacked, but they waited this long to tell me my credit card information may have been hacked?

The hell. You guys blew it.

vg260

How do we know if our CC info is at risk?

Is it only for those CCs kept on file or does it affect anyone who's ever used a CC to buy something from PSN?

Ferrio

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
This has nothing to do with Geohot. If Sony attempted to tie liability for this to him, I would find this whole affair very suspicious indeed.

Ya this is Sony being incompetent. Isn't like they haven't known for awhile shit might be bad, they didn't bother rebuilding the system until after the fact.

dream

I'm actually offended by the people who are either defending Sony or blaming their customers and accusing them of overreacting. Like, holy shit. I know there's a defense force for everything but being a fan of Playstation doesn't mean you have to defend the rampant identity fraud that will ensue as a result of Sony's incompetence.

derFeef

This is horrible.

2&2 said:
How do we know if our CC info is at risk?

Is it only for those CCs kept on file or does it affect anyone who's ever used a CC to buy something from PSN?
Yeah, that's a good question.

Argh I just fucking changed all my passwords thanks to gawker, now I have to do it all again.

That's what I get for not having unique passwords for everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is really tempting me to CFW hack my PS3 now...the only thing still tying me to PSN is the promise of playing Dark Souls online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom