• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Packshot

Solid

Value Pack

psp-a.jpg

psp-b.jpg

Packshot

psp-c.jpg

psp-d.jpg

More pics and stuff at http://www.gamefront.de/

Matlock

Banned
Regular = PSP, AC adapter, battery ($200)

Value = PSP, AC adapter, battery, headphones, wrist strap, memory stick, softback case ($250)

I'm guessing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Matlock said:

Value = PSP, AC adapter, battery, headphones, wrist strap, memory stick, softback case ($250)

I'm guessing.

i think thats right.

akascream

Banned
Very sexy. Sony is doing everything right aside from battery life, and that could still be resolved. I just wish it had a touchscreen.

u_neek

akascream said:
Very sexy. Sony is doing everything right aside from battery life, and that could still be resolved. I just wish it had a touchscreen.

Just wish it had something to protect the screen!

Koshiro

I just wish it wasn't so obviously going to railroad over DS, despite the fact that it will only give us the same sort of games we could be playing on consoles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that battery goes in the back of the machine.

You can remove it and pop another one in if you play lots and forgot to charge it (slight defense against battery haters)

Madcatz can also come out with 3000mAh ones for longer standard play a little later.

ninge

Sony are being very clever on this one. Clearly the $250 box aint got $50 worth of extras in it.. so they're making up some of the loss on the $200 box by charging $50 for what amounts to about $5 worth of extras (well, probably costs them about that to make anyway.. I mean it's a shitty case, a shitty strap, some headphones that they knock out by the millions and a memory stick - big wow)

This allows them to get within spitting distance of the DS price and make the PSP look much more attractive to consumers also!

How many people are realistically gonna go for the $200 box over the $250 one? I bet the $200 is mysteriously in short supply when it launches too..

"what, you've only got the more expensive one left? damn, I guess i'll take that one instead then"

Clearly a case of trying to make it look cheaper than it really is :) clever bastards.

aoi tsuki

The white accessories don't go with the black unit, which is odd for Sony. If i were getting a PSP, i'd pass on the value pack, especially if MD remotes work with the unit. Interesting that they show a Memory Stick Pro and not a Duo in the picture, though i'm sure the Duo will be in the final package.

Edit: ~$200 is the official price? i'll try to hold back my fear of impending DS doom.

Bebpo

Banned
ninge said:
Sony are being very clever on this one. Clearly the $250 box aint got $50 worth of extras in it.. so they're making up some of the loss on the $200 box by charging $50 for what amounts to about $5 worth of extras (well, probably costs them about that to make anyway.. I mean it's a shitty case, a shitty strap, some headphones that they knock out by the millions and a memory stick - big wow)

This allows them to get within spitting distance of the DS price and make the PSP look much more attractive to consumers also!

How many people are realistically gonna go for the $200 box over the $250 one? I bet the $200 is mysteriously in short supply when it launches too..

"what, you've only got the more expensive one left? damn, I guess i'll take that one instead then"

Clearly a case of trying to make it look cheaper than it really is :) clever bastards.

Well the official memory stick is going at around $30 according to their PR. So that's $20 for headphones, remote, case, strap.

I dunno, I don't see the $250 package being a ripoff compared to the $200 one. Rather it seems like a good deal for an extra $50.

Bebpo said:
Well the official memory stick is going at around $30 according to their PR. So that's $20 for headphones, remote, case, strap.

I dunno, I don't see the $250 package being a ripoff compared to the $200 one. Rather it seems like a good deal for an extra $50.

Obviously. The dude trying to portray the value pack as a ripoff is on crack.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
CVXFREAK said:
Damnit, urge to import and show off to my classmates despite the obvious chance of theft: rising

Same for me, but I don't have any money ;_;

Hopefully I'll have enough cash to buy this thing along with the DS when it comes out here in Canada.

But a 32 MB mem stick? that's pretty weak, they should atleast include a 64 MB one so I can atleast store more than like 5 songs on it and hopefully they will let me play some movies of the mem stick. Come to think of it, how are we going to be able to get data on the mem stick from our PC's? I don't see a USB cord.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
CVXFREAK said:
Damnit, urge to import and show off to my classmates despite the obvious chance of theft: rising

I was afraid kids would steal my crappy Cybiko, no way in hell I'd show someone my sexy PSP. Those greasy humans touching my beautiful PSP...messing up it's screen. Don't trust them!

Midas

GSG Flash said:

Hopefully I'll have enough cash to buy this thing along with the DS when it comes out here in Canada.

But a 32 MB mem stick? that's pretty weak, they should atleast include a 64 MB one so I can atleast store more than like 5 songs on it and hopefully they will let me play some movies of the mem stick. Come to think of it, how are we going to be able to get data on the mem stick from our PC's? I don't see a USB cord.

Buy one? I bet Sony will have an official USB cable for like $29.99. :p

Miburou

I think what he meant is that while Sony is losing money on the PSP at $200, they'll probably be making a profit on the accessories they're charging $50 extra for, thus offsetting their losses a bit.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Impressed with the value pack.

If anyone drops $200 on a PSP without getting a carrying case, they're out of their flippin' mind. Just spring for the extra package.

Brofist

GSG Flash said:

I bought a USB printer like a year back that cost more than a PSP. That shit didn't even come with a USB cable, and I coudn't use it until I bought one. There's no way they're giving one with this.

aoi tsuki

GSG Flash said:

Just be happy it's 32MB and not 16MB, which i think are still being packed into Sony digicams. 32MB is enough for a dozen songs at some comparable quality to 128kpbs MP3 and probably enough saves for the games you'll be playing around launch.

ninge

Yeah i'm not saying its a rip-off as such i just imagine that the original idea would have been to have 1 pack with all the goodies and that the "slimmed down" pack only exists to get them closer to the DS price point and under the magic $200 level..

It's a very clever move and the fact that people think $30 for a case, headphones and strap (when you take off at most 20$ its costing them to throw the memory stick in the box) just shows that it's working.

I imagine most peoples reaction will be "$199 for the PSP - that's an absolute bargain!", "sign me up for the $250 version with the extras please! I don't want it to get scratched so the case must be mine!" - so sony wins both the perceived value fight and the fight to sell it at a higherprice while still looking cheap :)

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
aoi tsuki said:
Just be happy it's 32MB and not 16MB, which i think are still being packed into Sony digicams. 32MB is enough for a dozen songs at some comparable quality to 128kpbs MP3 and probably enough saves for the games you'll be playing around launch.

Well, Gamesaves won't be a problem for me considering I will be buying no games for this thing. I'm going to be buying it purely for multimedia (media other than games) purposes.

BuddyC

Matlock said:

I'm guessing.
That's what I'm thinking too.

You know, if they have a decent lineup, I may actually pick up a PSP around launch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It probably doesn't cost them much to make it, but it sure as hell would cost the consumer more to buy all that if he's to buy it separately. PDA makers are charging through the roof on simple carying cases like that, I doubt you can find that memory stick for less than $15 anywhere, and the headphones actually look very fine and I doubt you'd find them for cheap either.

aoi tsuki

GSG Flash said:
Well, Gamesaves won't be a problem for me considering I will be buying no games for this thing. I'm going to be buying it purely for multimedia (media other than games) purposes.
If you're looking at it for video and music purposes, you might wanna look at one of those newfangled portable media centers. May cost more, but with a built in hard drive you could store much more music, and it would be much easier and cheaper getting various types of video formats on the device than on PSP, which despite what Kutaragi or anyone at Sony says, is a game machine with the additional functions of music and movies.

Marconelly said:
It probably doesn't cost them much to make it, but it sure as hell would cost the consumer more to buy all that if he's to buy it separately. PDA makers are charging through the roof on simple carying cases like that, I doubt you can find that memory stick for less than $15 anywhere, and the headphones actually look very fine and I doubt you'd find them for cheap either.
My original post was poorly worded. If i were getting a PSP, i'd get the value pack, but not use the accessories, seeing as i already have Memory Sticks, a case that'll fit the PSP, better headphones, and a couple of MD remotes, which'll hopefully work on PSP.

Sony charges through the roof for cheap cases like that. The case i currently use for my Clie retailed at something like $25, while i got it on clearance for $10. A soft pouch like the one pictured would easily run $15 from Sony, whereas others would charge a more reasonable $7-$10.

Mrbob

ninge said:

Yup. But at the same time, it's cheaper for the consumer to buy the value pack than buy everything else seperately. So I guess it's a win-win situation. :p

I'm hoping we get the value pack as well for $250 or maybe cheaper? :D

Ploid 3.0

Grizzlyjin said:
I was afraid kids would steal my crappy Cybiko, no way in hell I'd show someone my sexy PSP. Those greasy humans touching my beautiful PSP...messing up it's screen. Don't trust them!

roflmao.gif

jenov4

Wow, just ... WOW! Great move Sony.. I just logged onto these forums and noticed their great announcements. DAMN!

Mrbob

Drinky Crow said:
So the PSP is officially $200?

DS OWNED

$200 is our guestimated price.

The base pack in Japan actually translates to $185. So who knows, maybe Sony will go $179.99 for the base pack in NA?? DS double and triple owned.

While Sony merits a bit of a spanking for the shitty battery life, Nintendo's hubris in the form of sub-N64 hardware, the stupid gimmicky double screen, and market babble about "innovation" deserves a sound public thrashing.

YOU GIVE THE CONSUMER THE VERY BEST YOU CAN AND YOU EAT THE COST, BITCH.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
When I see something like this I'm glad PSP isn't coming out in the US this year. The console and PC software is going to do enough damage on people's wallets. I think the launch will be great in Japan if demand can be met. Everyone will have DQ8 by then, so there shouldn't be too much to keep people's gaming dollars (or yen) preoccupied.

The best news is that a $199 US price is a sure thing.

I'm a consumer. I don't give a shit if a company goes out of business if they can't GIVE ME WHAT I WANT. Only fanboys care about a company at the expense of their own entertainment.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Grizzlyjin said:
How is a Cybiko anyway?

If the company doesn't give the consumer what they want, they won't be BUYING their products unless the consumer is frankly retarded. And the consumer who cares about investors/employees is, well, Gahiggidy, and that's not a fate I'd wish on ANYONE.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Deepthroat said:
Nah but seriously, I'm just happy Nintendo finally have some competition. It's all good for us :D

Conveniently ignoring the Game Gear and Lynx. Oh, Turbo Express and Neo Geo Pocket as well. Oooh, ooh, almost forgot myself, the Wonderswans, the N-Gages, and the slow (but steady) growing market of cell phone games. Nomad, too.

But yeah, you're right, Nintendo's never had any competition in portable gaming.

Top Bottom