• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP question

Brofist

Sorry if this was answered in one of the 7 million other topics on PSP, but will this thing have some kind of TV out feature. Sure would be nice to just hook it up to a TV, and play away like on a standard console...and then take it on the road.

Chittagong

Gold Member
No it won't. In GDC, this March in San Jose, it was said explicitly in the PSP dev session that no TV Out will be available. They also went on to say that while it technically wouldn't have been impossible, they on purpose left it out from the architecture, for business reasons.

So no accessories for that, either.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
From what I remember, no it does not.

Seems like logic would dictate it should, since "Sony expects the PSP's primary use to be in the home" and all.

Chittagong said:
they on purpose left it out from the architecture, for business reasons.

So no accessories for that, either.

No accessories for it? "Business reasons" might be "we left it out so we can sell it to you later."

Brofist

Hopefully there will be a 3rd party solution. Guess they don't want to undercut PS2 game sales...god forbid I play my PSP version of GT4 on a TV and don't buy the PS2 version too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Kobun Heat said:
No accessories for it? "Business reasons" might be "we left it out so we can sell it to you later."

I understood it differently:

Business reason = it will cannibalize PS2, badly.
Not in architecure = not achievable with accessories.

Brofist

Do you think an attachment through the PS2, like the GBA player for GC would even be out of the question?

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Once PS3 hits and there is a marked difference in quality between the PSP and their flagship home console, I expect a PSP revision to be released with TV-Out.

Right now, the PSP is too powerful for its own good.

sohka88

I agree with mash. A year after its release a tv out solution will appear. Maybe even be able to dock on the PS3.

Brofist

mashoutposse said:
Once PS3 hits and there is a marked difference in quality between the PSP and their flagship home console, I expect a PSP revision to be released with TV-Out.

Right now, the PSP is too powerful for its own good.

Makes sense...which means Sony probably wont try to downsize the PS2 later in it's lifespan like they did with the PSX->PSOne.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This thread needs Pana - how would it work with the current interfaces? PSP would need internally to capture the rendered data before it goes on to the screen and redirect it into one of it's two-way outputs (USB 2.0) coded with a certain video codec and then what?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
kpop100 said:
Makes sense...which means Sony probably wont try to downsize the PS2 later in it's lifespan like they did with the PSX->PSOne.
Not necessarily. The PSP is not a portable PS2 -- just a handheld that happens to have some PS2 ports on it. Having the PSP connect to the TV, therefore, would not serve as a "replacement" for the PS2 by any means.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Regarding the current price tag everybody's expecting for the PSP (sorry, didn't really pay attention to it lately - was anything confirmed yet?) I'm wondering if it's even realistic that it would really hurt PS2 sales..

Top Bottom