• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP: Racing Games :: Xbox: FPS?

Speevy

Banned
Seriously, that seems to account for most of the gasps about how good the graphics are.

Other notables are Metal Gear Acid, Hot Shots Golf, and that RPG, but I think the general consensus is that the NDS can do adequate games in those genres as well.

Racing seems like an awfully boring genre to advertise a system on. I dunno....

explodet

It could just be a coincidence that a lot of the screenshots being released for the PSP are those of racing games. Mahjong game screens aren't going to impress anybody.

Still, I'm wondering where the MinGol, Armored Core and Sangoku Musou screenshots are at. The system's launching in less than 2 months!

olimario

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'm lost.

I have an idea...

ndspamo.jpg

"Racing seems like an awfully boring genre to advertise a system on. I dunno...."

But a so called remake of an 8 years old console jump'n run with a lot, but not one significant addition and more pixelated graphics to be the lead title for an innovating, "really different" third pillar handheld is the way to go, huh?
You know, it's just actually very refreshing to see the first handheld 3D racing game, that deserves this name in all terms compared to what this genre have been on consoles for the last 10 years+. Besides that it's nothing groundbreaking and should have been on PS2.

Speevy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Are you the same Speevy from TXB? What happened to you? You used to be a smart guy there.

I'm not any dumber. I just do more of the "whatever pops into my head" posts here.

Speevy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think he's trying to say that the PSP seems to be a system for racers like the Xbox is a system for FPS.

Yeah. Just a simple question. I mean, the PSP racers look amazing. The genre just doesn't excite me I guess.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Does seem to be a lot of racing titles for the PSP at launch... but still better than their PS2 launch lineup... I think it is safe to say that most consoles have shitty games when they launch.

Speevy

Banned
Guns N' Poops said:
"Racing seems like an awfully boring genre to advertise a system on. I dunno...."

But a so called remake of an 8 years old console jump'n run with a lot, but not one significant addition and more pixelated graphics to be the lead title for an innovating, "really different" third pillar handheld is the way to go, huh?
You know, it's just actually very refreshing to see the first handheld 3D racing game, that deserves this name in all terms compared to what this genre have been on consoles for the last 10 years+. Besides that it's nothing groundbreaking and should have been on PS2.

Not at all. The PSP definitely has the better racing games, and the better graphics, obviously.

Speevy

Banned
Unison said:
Urrrm... Isn't the Xbox the pre-eminent system for racing games too?

I suppose that's true.

I guess my real question is whether the racing game will become the new staple that defines a handheld.

explodet

Speevy said:
I guess my real question is whether the racing game will become the new staple that defines a handheld.
It could easily do that, if the right pieces fall into place. If Ridge Racer impresses enough people at launch, and then GT4 is a big success, it could influence developers to make even more racers to cash in on the demand.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Speevy said:
Seriously, that seems to account for most of the gasps about how good the graphics are.

Other notables are Metal Gear Acid, Hot Shots Golf, and that RPG, but I think the general consensus is that the NDS can do adequate games in those genres as well.

Racing seems like an awfully boring genre to advertise a system on. I dunno....

I think it boils down to the fact that racers are probably the easiest genre to develop quickly and demonstrate jaw-dropping graphics, especially when a lot of the assets (like courses) are just being borrowed from other games. I would imagine the proportion of racers will drop quickly as more developers have more time to work with the system.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Speevy said:
Well, that's a very here and now observation, since that just happens to be the media that's been made available for PSP games in recent weeks.

Any game hardware can do "adequate", and the games you listed shouldn't necessarily be regarded as the be-all end-all of what the PSP can do with these genres either.

nitewulf

to tell you the truth, i think racing is one of teh best genres to show off on a handheld, given that the game looks great. poratble gaming is just that, gaming on the go. i wanna pop in a fantastic looking RR game, zoom around for 20 minutes in the train on my way to work...and forget about it right after i get off the train.

WarPig

Anybody remember the shit-ton of Dreamcast racers at that first E3? Speed Devils, Sega Rally, Metropolis, Shutokou Battle, Formula One, and at least a couple more that I'm forgetting. It's the same with a lot of new platforms.

DFS.

Brofist

Speevy said:
I suppose that's true.

There's a trend here

Playstation - launched with Ridge Racer
Playstation 2 - launched with RRV
PSP - to launch with Ridge Racers

Now I don't know if you know what kind of game libraries are on the first 2 systems on that list, but we can safely say it's more than racing games. I'm sure the PSP will follow that trend.

shpankey

not an idiot
Unison said:
Urrrm... Isn't the Xbox the pre-eminent system for racing games too?

don't forget sports games. Xbox owns all 3 of those categories. Not bad on fighters as well.

Xbox just sucks on RPG's, and sucks BAD on them heh.

Top Bottom