• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSTwo defects ?

Mejilan said:
I heard the HDD and FFXI have a 100% failure rate with the new PSTwo.

:lol

well that'd be true. Luckily I don't think either are ever gonna come out in Europe anyway, so I don't mind.

Seems I'm on the other 95% regarding this problem too. Which is nice :D

Buggy Loop

Somehow im not surprised one bit. Its pretty much a gamble with sony products, i took quite an expensive gamble with their HDTV LCD rear projection grand wega 42", especially since there were already complaints of the lamp's durability but so far the gamble has paid off. On my 2nd ps2 though -_-

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
oh well, DOA systems don't bother me
And thankfully thanks to the one year warnety

fallout

In with Sony hate...

pstwover.gif

Brannon

Like clockwork I swear. This is good though, since PSTwo v2 fixed edition will be out sooner now instead of the death-at-91-days malarkey.

*finally sets money aside for future purchase*

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Here's another issue we found. While playing Crash: Twinsanity on the PStwo, we would beat one boss and the game would crash everytime going up the elevator afterwards. After replicating the crash three times, we switched to the old PlayStation 2 and the game did not crash. Popped it back into the PStwo and it crashed once again. Looks like some sort of hardware change was made that isn't cosmetic. For now, I'm holding onto my old model

Acosta

I have just bought a japanese PSTwo (my old modded PS2 passed away and I found myself without being able to play most of my collection, I have Digital Devil Saga collecting dust since I brought it from TGS).

Hope it works fine... technical problems with imported machine are not fun.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pedigree Chum said:
People, its 5 percent...mine works beautifully *knocks on wood*

It doesn't sound like alot, but isn't the standard for the Xbox and Cube (and indeed, most electronic hardware of this type) around 0.1%? I don't remember the exact number, but I was pretty sure that that failure rate for most types of electronics like these was well under 1%.

rastex

Banned
Can I add to the Sony hardware bashing?

Not console related but the Sony LCD monitor that I got died after 2 weeks. I was very happy with the monitor too until it wouldn't turn on anymore. Damn you SOONY DAAAAAMN YOUUUUUUU!!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"People, its 5 percent..."

200,000 sales would mean 10,000 defective units.

What was the defect rate that got the Xbox pulled from Japanese shelves? wasn't it 600 units from 140,000 sold? (under 1%?)

DCharlie said:

What was the defect rate that got the Xbox pulled from Japanese shelves? wasn't it 600 units from 140,000 sold? (under 1%?)

Well if the systems are lemons can't people just get an exchange? Plus, I never buy Sony viewogame hardware without an extended waranty. It works out best that way :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I replaced my old model with a PSTwo yesterday.

Working perfectly, old software and new. And yes, I've noticed a slight performance boost with San Andreas. What did they change to make that happen?

Ozchin

DCharlie said:

*applause*

Granted 1st-gen ANYTHING has defects, it'll be interesting check the quality comparisons (and stock!) of the 1st-gen DS vs. 1st-gen PSP.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Well if the systems are lemons can't people just get an exchange?"

well, yes - that's how it should work.
But retailers pulled the Xbox from their shelves as soon as the defects came to light.

I'm sure the PSTwo won't be pulled.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Ozchin said:
*applause*

Granted 1st-gen ANYTHING has defects, it'll be interesting check the quality comparisons (and stock!) of the 1st-gen DS vs. 1st-gen PSP.

I haven't had a problem with my 1st gen GameCube, and DS vs. PSP is not even a contest.

When is version 2 of the PSTwo due out?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
haha - not a chance of me picking up a launch PSP - i could see this coming a mile off

luxsol

Buggy Loop said:
Somehow im not surprised one bit. Its pretty much a gamble with sony products, i took quite an expensive gamble with their HDTV LCD rear projection grand wega 42", especially since there were already complaints of the lamp's durability but so far the gamble has paid off. On my 2nd ps2 though -_-
Their TVs are top quality products, I've had a couple of TVs from them over the past two decades that still work. It's anything with moving parts that you need to watch out for.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
luxsol said:
Their TVs are top quality products, I've had a couple of TVs from them over the past two decades that still work. It's anything with moving parts that you need to watch out for.

yeah i can vouch for this - my sony tv is pretty awesome. my ps2 is starting to crap out on me however, and this news of pstwo doesnt sound too good :p

Ranger X

LOL

i don't believe this new.

THOUGH, i must warn you guys that some grand father of some friend of mine heard at many gaz stations that a Saturn CD-ROM may not function in almost 100% of the new PStwo.

Speaking of PS2 quality, I finially saw the X-Play episode (Think it was a rerun, maybe not) where they beat the hell out of all 3 consoles. They did the test and each time the PS2 quit working after the 1st test, and the Gamecube was the only survivor after the third test. Absolutely hilarious to see the Gamecube creamed to smithereens and boot every time.

Wulfer

The PStwo produces so much heat that I'd take the old model PS2 any day. That much heat can't be good for the system. Some people on this board are gonna be crying in a year or so.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
WULFER said:
The PStwo produces so much heat that I'd take the old model PS2 any day. That much heat can't be good for the system. Some people on this board are gonna be crying in a year or so.

Some people cry pretty regularly...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I heard about it last week. It will recognize the disc, but then say something about 'no data' or something to that effect.

I find the OG PS2 to be way more precious anyway.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yikes this doesn't bode well, and here I was thinking well my original PS2 is about to kick the bucket, I may as well buy one of those new models. But it can damn well wait now.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Just be sure that you have the disc in all the way before closing the lid. I one time put one of my games in and it wouldn't load giving a disc read error on the new PStwo. Upon opening the lid, I found out that the disc wasn't properly locked into the holder(since its tighter than the old psone/psx one).

Top Bottom