• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSTwo's equipped with USB 2.0 ports?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
From our good ol'd buddies at the B3D forum:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17313&sid=ec86c7b6abb50da686ac0768f279acc7

The source is also mentioned on a modding site if you know where to look(because I am not going to link to it :) )

A small note of interest- the PSTwo comes equipped with USB 2.0 ports, whereas the older PS2 only has the slower USB 1.1 ports.

The PSTwo has USB 2.0 ports, only the older PS2 consoles have USB 1.1. Those looking to verify this themselves can do so simply by calling SCEA Consumer Serivices @ 1-800-345-7669.

External Hdd in the works?

Mods, please delete if old.

Spike

I met the regional Sony rep at my local Wal-mart yesterday. Yes, it does sport USB 2.0 and it now carries a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for the USB 2.0 ports? Square-Enix is supposedly going to release it's own external hdd for the PSTwo.

Since Sony's said they won't make HDDs for the PSTwo, I wonder if some third party will conjure up something that uses the ports.

Unless Sony makes some software that lets you use any external USB hard drive. But that just seems like you're asking for pirate troubles of some sort.

neptunes

I think you would need the necessary drivers for the playstation 2.

Try the HDD disc that comes with playonline :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Even with the Sony HDD drivers...they're probably looking for a device on the IDE port, not on the USB ports...right?

Vashu

Right.

The drivers are build around the IDE port in this case, whereas Square Enix already has external HDD drivers (first line of PlayOnline HDD's). Though I'm not certain if they were USB port connected, or still through the IDE-port.

belgurdo

Banned
Spike said:
The reason for the USB 2.0 ports? Square-Enix is supposedly going to release it's own external hdd for the PSTwo.

Why not save some pennies, SE, and give the Xbox some FF11 love?

Rhindle

If the PSTwo really does have USB 2.0's, I'm having trouble imaging what Sony had in mind other than an external storage HDD. The network adapter is built in, and you certainly don't need 2.0 for keyboards, mics and the like.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kaching said:
Even with the Sony HDD drivers...they're probably looking for a device on the IDE port, not on the USB ports...right?
I/O drivers CAN be replaced though - how do you think HDLoader works in the first place? ;)

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
neptunes said:
(if true)

HDLOADerr... I mean FFXI strikes back with a vengance

I don't see why sony can't use it's own SONY CONNECT, they already have plans to use it with the psp.

Bingo.

Spike said:
Yeah, but they could adapt it for the Xbox HDD if they really wanted to.

No, they couldn't. The reasons for this are manifold but basically the fact that all versions of the game are interoperable (PS2, PC, etc.) means that any new version has to be AT LEAST as big as those already out there with room for any patches/expansions that come down the line. The current install of FFXI and all expansions is around 10-12 GB, I think. The Xbox HDD is only 8, and that's including the bits developers aren't allowed to touch.

They could make a new MMO designed around the Xbox hardware, which I'd quite love to see. But the restrictions of the existing platforms make porting FFXI to the Xbox an impossibility.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Fafalada said:
I/O drivers CAN be replaced though - how do you think HDLoader works in the first place? ;)
I get that, but what I was saying is that somebody has to do the replacing - you can't use the OOTB drivers that come with the Sony HDD.

So is there actual confirmation that the USB connectors are 2.0? Faf, do you know, as a developer - has Sony provided technical specs for this new model that confirm this?

Drey1082

Midas said:
Haha, use your iPod with the HDLoader. :p

jaw-dropper.gif

BuddyC

Drey1082 said:
Someone plug in their iPod to the ps2 and see if it charges! :D

That is sweet news if it is USB 2.0.
The iPod battery only charges through FireWire. Even the USB cables have a FireWire port meant to attach to the power adapter.

edit: Yes, I know now that the 4G iPods can charge through USB. Don't be a cockmunch. Thanks.

Drey1082

BuddyChrist83 said:
The iPod battery only charges through FireWire. Even the USB cables have a FireWire port meant to attach to the power adapter.

That's not true, the new iPod's (4th gen) charge through USB (2.0 only i think, could be wrong about that). All I know is that I can charge my iPod through USB.

Midas

BuddyChrist83 said:

I can charge my iPod with USB

Too late. :)

BuddyC

Drey1082 said:
That's not true, the new iPod's (4th gen) charge through USB (2.0 only i think, could be wrong about that). All I know is that I can charge my iPod through USB.
Oh.

Silly new 4G, my bad. 3G all the way! None of that clicky button crap.

Drey1082

Why are we using spoiler tags??? WARNING: IPOD SECRETS!!! :lol

and that was my bad, I should have specified 4th gen.. I forgot that old iPod's don't charge that way. I do like the old 3rd gen design better.. Anyways, back to topic...

I would definitely get a usb HDD if this rumor is true (socom 2 maps!)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Panajev said:
Assure me that in such a way I could make PS2Linux works and I'll be happy ;).
Definately - even if it's just USB1 ports, albeit that would work a bit slower obviously.

Kaching said:
I get that, but what I was saying is that somebody has to do the replacing - you can't use the OOTB drivers that come with the Sony HDD.
Nope, but then you can't use the Sony HDD as is either - you need a USB HDD, or a USB pocket for the IDE drive to connect with. In other words this could be solved by selling the IDE->USB peripheral for PSTwo bundled with the asociated driver.

So is there actual confirmation that the USB connectors are 2.0? Faf, do you know, as a developer - has Sony provided technical specs for this new model that confirm this?
Haven't kept up with latest devsite updates in last two weeks, in the middle of an office move here so it's been kind of a mess. I'll check when I have time again, if there won't be any official confirmation before that...

Top Bottom