• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about buying an Xbox

Gribbix

So I'm planning on buying an Xbox in the next two weeks but before I do, I have a question. I recall reading some posts about different models having different parts that work better than others. There was something regarding the differences between a Thompson (?) drive and some other type. Can someone explain which type I should get and how to tell it apart from the others?

COCKLES

being watched
Avoid Thompson and Phillips.

Get a Samsung one.

There's a way from telling the actual tray shapes as they open up. But that's not much good in a store. I think it's kinda pot luck. Having said that, I've had my Thompson one nearly 3 years now without any problems.

Oh and...

welcome.jpg

thorns

Banned
I think if you get a new one you shouldn't run into any problems as most of the problems seem to be with the older versions..

Dujour

Banned
I've got a samsung one with the holse in the tray. I've got it modded, but I wanted to get another halo edition one but they stopped selling them in stores. :mad:

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Samsungs don't read DVD+R discs

Don't listen to the anti-Thomson and Phillips peeps. The whole Samsung superiority thing is BS. The only advantage is that it reads CD-Rs. Big whoop. Not much you can do w/ 700MB these days anyway.

**Yes, I know about burning +R as DVD-ROM, but that doesn't help the media that you didn't burn.**

Sysgen

thorns said:
I think if you get a new one you shouldn't run into any problems as most of the problems seem to be with the older versions..

The manufactured date is visible when you go to buy. Avoid old stock though your chances of getting old stock are slim. I would just make sure it's Summer 2003 or greater and you will be plenty safe. The type of drive will not matter.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
meh, I have a modded with the "bad" cd tray, it's never been a concern, I ftp almost everything anyway, either xbox to xbox or computer to xbox. Can't say I have ever had the need to read a cd. If I do, just stick it in the PC and ftp. easy as that.

EDIT: I guess that would be more of a concern if you aren't going for a bigger hard drive with that mod. In which case you are crazy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
LAMBO said:
I'll get one when they are super cheap, mainly for emulaltion and Otogi 2, damn that game looks good.

Theres another game with a 2 on the end that would be worth a purchase alone....

Emulation rocks to though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
When I bought my Xbox, I specifically demanded one with a Samsung drive. Luckily, I knew the person in charge of the store, so he tried Xboxen after Xboxen until he found one with Samsung. Samsung rocks! Hoorah!
I got lots of old stuff burned on CDs, so it's very useful for me. And I always use DVD-R otherwise, so whether or not it can handle DVD+R is none of my concern. HAH! :D

And yes, it's definitely worth getting an modded Xbox for emulation and Xbox Media Center alone. Especially now that the price has been cut even more. :)

jedimike

Gribbix - basically you don't have to worry about anything if you are buying a new Xbox. Thompson drives are out of production and Samsung and Philips drives are both excellent drives. Even if you are modding your Xbox, it doesn't really matter.

Thomson = bad - out of production
Samsung & Philips = good - current production

If you are modding you got bigger things to worry about like a 1.4 version Xbox vs. a 1.6

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
jedimike said:
If you are modding you got bigger things to worry about like a 1.4 version Xbox vs. a 1.6

why is that? I have one of the oldest xboxs and my modchip is a "cheapmod running xecuter 2 bios"

put that in as well as a switch and a big hard drive and there have never been a single issue with it, ever.

davis

I bought a refurbished Xbox from EB about a year ago its a old model 2002 but it has the Samsung drive with the 2 holes in the tray,it has worked fine with games except KOTOR freezing and crashind a few times. Also plays CDRs fine so you can even rip mp3's although that hasn't been as useful as I 1st thought it would be. Bought the DVD kit it defintely has some problems with dvd burns that play perfect in 4 other dvd players including my ps2. My xbox isn't modded either.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Looks like the Xbox I bought last week has a Phillips. It doesn't read my CDR's or DVD+R :(

Does read DVD-R though but I don't have any of those

Miburou

What the hell is Xbox Media Center?

Anyway, do what I did. I kept returning my Xbox until I got one with a Samsung drive.

Sysgen

Wario64 said:
Looks like the Xbox I bought last week has a Phillips. It doesn't read my CDR's or DVD+R :(

Does read DVD-R though but I don't have any of those

Use CD-RW. I bought the Music Mixer software from EB.com for $11 w/ discount and free shipping just to copy my 4 gig of music to my Xbox. Easier and more efficient than burning a whole clump of CDR/Ws Maybe I'll get more use out of it but I doubt it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Miburou said:
What the hell is Xbox Media Center?

Anyway, do what I did. I kept returning my Xbox until I got one with a Samsung drive.

Homebrew program that lets you view pictures, watch movies (basically in any format. DivX, XviD, avi, mpg, etc.), and lets you listen to music (mp3, wav, etc.). It's awesome

And I'm not gonna bother with CD-RW's since I can just FTP into my Xbox :p I just wished I could load my DVD+R's though cause I want to load stuff directly from the disc, but I guess I"ll just have to transfer them to my HD. Unless there's a way to insert the disc into my computer and somehow make it shared over the network to the Xbox...

Top Bottom