• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about Gamecube Component Video

epmode

if you have a progressive-capable television, it's worth it.

in other news, nintendo sucks for making proprietary cables. it's insane that you can't buy them in stores.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Yes, especially if you use composite right now. If you use S-Video, the difference isn't that pronounced IMO, but you'll still notice.

But yeah, seeing a game like F-Zero GX in component is definitely worth $30.

And I'd just like to add s-video seems to vary with televisions. My old Toshiba had fantastic s-video and my JVC s-video was just a decent step up from video. On my JVC, the difference between its unimpressive s-video and component is pretty significant (480i). It's why I'd never buy a new Gamecube if my old one failed. No component is a sin.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
epmode said:
if you have a progressive-capable television, it's worth it.

in other news, nintendo sucks for making proprietary cables. it's insane that you can't buy them in stores.
yeah, because you can just use a regular component cable connected directly to either xbox or PS2... :\

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
borghe said:
yeah, because you can just use a regular component cable connected directly to either xbox or PS2... :\

You can buy them at virtually ANY retail store that sells videogame products (EB, for example, as ASM said...). There is quite a price range as well (from $10 - $60+). Ordering online is a pain in the ass and it was NOT a pleasant experience for me. It took Nintendo 3 days to even send me a confirmation that the cables were being sent...and it took well over a week for them to arrive. I was not happy...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
my bad.. I was hung up on the proprietary part..

yeah, not buying them in the store is lame. Nintendo dropping it from the GCN completely was even lamer.

HDTV must be a fad.

Nos_G

I ordered my GC component cables through play-asia.com while importing some other stuff.

Nintendo's Japanese accessories come in simple boxes... unlike North America's Plastic from hell shells.

It's a shame Ninty took out the digital out on the newer GCs. Because Crystal Chronicles in pro-scan is godly.

The GCN component cable doesn't come in a box or a blister package, just in a plastic bag.

$30 isn't too bad of a price for the cable, but with shipping, taxes and all that when ordering from Nintendo.com it comes out to almost $40 =P

But the video quality is very much improved from s-video...games like Mario Golf and Mario Kart look so much better on my HDTV (hi-res, very vibrant colors), so the cable is very much worth it for me.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Huge difference in IQ on non-progressive sets. It's the only way to fo 480p other than a hack.

I've been running S-Video up until Sunday, and now am in component. It's a huge improvement, and while S-Video looked good, this is WAY better. Highly recommended.

Nintendo should be smacked for pulling out component and not selling these damn cables in US stores. You can buy these cables in almost every store in japan. LAME.

i use my Nintendo Component Cables with my VDigi VD-Z3 to play games on my monitors :D

i love how it comes in a plain envelope and shitty clear plastic bag with the red GENUINE NINTENDO PART cardboard sleeve thing

Culex

Banned
I'm curious, if I buy an adaptor, will there be any difference if I use DVI, instead of component? I'm already using component, so it's not a big deal if I cannot.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Wasn't Mad Catz putting a component switcher out? I know I read that sh!t like a year ago, but I never go into gaming stores anymore so I haven't kept up.

Top Bottom