• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about getting Xbox live working for the Japan folks

Bebpo

Banned
I went with the Halo 2 w/xbox live set today and I'm trying to get Xbox live working here at my place in Japan but I'm encountering issues:

--I use YahooBB and I'm going through their ADSL modem which runs through the NTT phone line. It works fine on my laptop but I tried plugging it into the xbox and Xbox is saying it can't find my IP. I remember having to run Yahoo's set up disc on my laptop to recognize the internet, but how am I gonna get my xbox to do that?

--Even though I have the 12 month subscription card, it says signing up is gonna require a CC. Will it let me use my US CC? Or not having a Japanese CC am I gonna be screwed here?

thanks,

hold on a second...

I need a credit card to get Live?? Can I not pay by debit card? Or direct debit?
To the original poster, I'd of thought any credit card would work as most are internationally recognised.. particularly Visa/Mastercard/American Express

But I'm not getting one. Credit cards are a total false economy that have you ripping yourself off, yanking thick wads of interest/cash out your rear. I worked for Barclaycard and I've seen what people do to themselves and how much money these people make off you -- so out of principle I don't want a CC. Would a pre-pay virtual credit card work?

edit:

on your Yahoo account, you might have to register your Xbox's MAC address. It should be on the actual box or literature somewhere. Also, on my connection, my ISP blocks using two connections on the same line unless I'm routing one through the other. For example I can't have my Xbox connected to the broadband box downstairs, and use the one upstairs with the PC at the same time. However, if I were to route them both through the same hub/switch so they shared the same connection that would be fine.

I don't know how the situation is in Japan, but in Austria the ADSL providers use a protocol called pptp which requires a VPN connection in order to work. The xbox is not capable of doing this so the only way in Austria to get on XBL through ADSL is by using either a router or some sort of Internet Connection Sharing by connecting the xbox to the pc.

Hope this helps.

Midas

radioheadrule83 said:
hold on a second...

I need a credit card to get Live?? Can I not pay by debit card? Or direct debit?
To the original poster, I'd of thought any credit card would work as most are internationally recognised.. particularly Visa/Mastercard/American Express

But I'm not getting one. Credit cards are a total false economy that have you ripping yourself off, yanking thick wads of interest/cash out your rear. I worked for Barclaycard and I've seen what people do to themselves and how much money these people make off you -- so out of principle I don't want a CC. Would a pre-pay virtual credit card work?

I used a VISA card for my free two months, and it wasn't a real credit card. Dont know whether it's a debit card or direct debit but I dont have credit.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok I got it working by reading the steps on Xbox Live's Jpn faq page. Turns out with the YahooBB modem I have to turn it off for TWENTY MINUTES before I plug it into the xbox and then when I want to use the laptop again I have to wait another twenty minutes. It worked but it's damn annoying. I guess I'll get a cheap router tomorrow which hopefully will make everything happy.

Troidal

Hey Bebpo, if you have a US system, make sure you register your US address or else the patches you download wont work (on your US games) if you register your Japan address. If its a Japanese Xbox, then its not a problem of course ;-)

Bebpo

Banned
Troidal said:
Hey Bebpo, if you have a US system, make sure you register your US address or else the patches you download wont work (on your US games) if you register your Japan address. If its a Japanese Xbox, then its not a problem of course ;-)

Hmm..I have a Japanese Xbox and I registered all my stuff with a US address. Does this mean I'm going to get problems trying to download Japanese patches/updates?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:
Ok I got it working by reading the steps on Xbox Live's Jpn faq page. Turns out with the YahooBB modem I have to turn it off for TWENTY MINUTES before I plug it into the xbox and then when I want to use the laptop again I have to wait another twenty minutes. It worked but it's damn annoying. I guess I'll get a cheap router tomorrow which hopefully will make everything happy.

Twenty minutes?? What the hell...isn't Japan supposed to be way ahead of us with internet connection speeds? :)

radioheadrule83 said:

You can use a debit card but you can't use a prepaid debit card.

Top Bottom