• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about videogames scans and their TOS implications!

shuri

Banned
I got myself a neat scanner, and i got hundreds of old gaming mags from the early to mid '90, would it be alright if i scanned a few ads and interesting articicles? I got some classics, such as the gamefan review with the guy complaining about the blue taint of the super power moves in sfa :lol

Well? Am I going to get banned?

Kefkaff

Banned
Unfortunately, scanning magazine does violate copyright laws. So you will not be able to scan any magazine articles and post them here. Sorry.

You should be fine scanning in game ads from the magazines...but editorial content wouldn't be kosher with the forum's rules...even though Game Fan no longer exists and no one would ever sue you :)

AniHawk

Craig Majaski said:
You should be fine scanning in game ads from the magazines...but editorial content wouldn't be kosher with the forum's rules...even though Game Fan no longer exists and no one would ever sue you :)

I've seen posts with scans from old reviews on Jaguar games from EGM or some mag and no one ever made a fuss about it.

shuri

Banned
Well I guess I'll stick with game ads. If you guys cant get Egm's Exclusive first look at Mortal Kombat 2 sor home consoles; blame excessive copyrights zealots

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Considering Wario64 has posted approx. 150 game ads over in that other thread I'm sure it's all right. I do not speak for any publishing company, but I don't think that old magazine scans in general will get you in trouble.

cvxfreak

I know for a fact IGN's Insider channel posts ads from Famitsu magazine, and that's a feature that you have to pay for. Recently, the author said that they'd do it in hi-res until they're told to stop.

I scanned few pages of some old magazines last week, if anyone's interested I have them in this directory:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~raihaptr/cvg/

Scan0010.jpg

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
most problems the fourm encounters with magazine scans are related to editors freaking out over material people would end up viewing here rather than paying for on a magazine stand or via a subscription. though i'm sure copyright laws do come into play when posting scans of old magazines, i'm not sure how much of a 'fuss' editors would throw.

i will find out and get back to you guys.

MC Safety

eXxy said:
most problems the fourm encounters with magazine scans are related to editors freaking out over material people would end up viewing here rather than paying for on a magazine stand or via a subscription. though i'm sure copyright laws do come into play when posting scans of old magazines, i'm not sure how much of a 'fuss' editors would throw.

i will find out and get back to you guys.

As an editor, I can tell you honestly I don't give a crap if materials are scanned and posted.

Unless, of course, the magazine is still publishing.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
yeah basically what disco stu says.

The main reason we dont allow scans is because magazines want the exclusives (what people usually scan) to sell magazines, we understand so we dont allow them. But this old stuff and advertisements are a-ok.

Top Bottom