• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade verison (99 dollar one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

Ok, I lost my academic Windows XP disc which means I'm going to have to buy another one.

I stopped by Target and noticed they have the upgrade verison for sale. However when I looked at the side of the box it said I need windows 98 or Windows ME installed to upgrade. Do I have to buy the 200 dollar windows XP disc to be able to do a fresh install on a harddrive? That would be irritating if I would have to dig out my Windows '98 disc just to install XP. I thought the 99 dollar upgrade version could be used to do fresh installs on the hdd?? Thanks...

Dude, why the hell are you buying OS at retail?

Order OEM CD/keycode/CoA combo off internet by buying some "hardware" with it. You know, like a case fan or something. You can easily get full version of Win XP Pro for around $150. XP Home is like $100. Fully legal too.

Mrbob

Do I really need the full version of XP Pro?

I'm buying a new HDD from newegg, and I noticed they had the OEM version of Windows XP with Service pack 1 for 91 bucks.

But for 10 dollars more I can walk into a store and grab the full version and just download the first service pack.

impirius

OEM version = comes in a sleeve instead of a cardboard box. Definitely go for a full OEM version over an upgrade retail version, especially if it's cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom