• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question on getting good exchange rates with US/Jpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebpo

Banned
So I see that the US/JPN exchange rate is about ~109yen to a dollar currently. I need to change about ~$500 soon so I'm wondering if I should:

A. Just change all $500 now and bring it with me to Japan.
or
B. Change about $100 over here and then bring travelers checks for the other $400 and change it in Japan.

I'm guessing B gets me a bit more money but I'm wondering how big of difference are you looking at with $500? It'll be a lot more convienent for me to just have the Yen when I arrive since I'm going to be with a group and it may be difficult to break away and exchange money.

Thanks,

sonatinas

dont ever ever ever ever change money in airports, u get the worst rate, just wait to leave the narita airport and go to a bank and use the atm

The best thing for you to do is get traveler's checks here in the US, and cash them at your hotel in Japan. That will give you the best exchange rate.

Bebpo

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
The best thing for you to do is get traveler's checks here in the US, and cash them at your hotel in Japan. That will give you the best exchange rate.

Yeah that's what I was told by our group supervisor. Problem is I will be in a group of about 300-1000 people all coming in with US traveler's checks and wanting to cash them at the one hotel we are staying at all at the same time.

...so I'm looking for the 2nd best way :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom