• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick Doom 3 qurstion

Ecrofirt

I can't seem to change my graphics settings.

I try to change them to 1024x768, and it says the changes will take effect the next time I start the game. When I restart, the game is in 640x480.

I get the same problem if I try to change the AA level

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
interesting, we are going to want to know

A.) What kinda graphics card you got, and if you have the newest drivers

Ecrofirt

Hmm. I've been tinkering with one setting at a time.

It doesn't seem to like AA above 4x. This seems a tad bit wacky to me. Is it normal?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Keep in mind doom 3 is ahead of its time, but not as bad as Ultima 9 was, hehe

Seems to me like something is forcing your resolution to stay the same, What is your desktop set to, and do you have any programs like powerstrip running in the background?

Ecrofirt

my desktop is 1280x1024.

I've got Norton Internet Security running in the background, so I'll disable those.

I find it a bit wacky, though.

I'm on a 3.6GHz P4 with 2GB of RAM wit hthe X800XT. It seems like I should be able to get a little bit better performance out of the game than this.

SKluck

Banned
Is your cfg file set to read-only?

If it is, turn it off.

It is isn't, change the settings in the cfg file and make it read only.

Ecrofirt

which settings do I change?

I looked through the DoomConfig.cfg and couldn't find anything about the AA and resolution

SKluck

Banned
seta r_customHeight "486"
seta r_customWidth "720"

Put whatever there for the height and width. Why mine is set to those odd numbers I have no idea, haven't played the game in a month.

Ecrofirt

mine were the same thing. Why exactly they're set to that I'll never know.

I thought they were for a menu or something.

Is there something in the settings I can change for the AA as well?

Ecrofirt

ok, I've tried putting all the OpenGL settings to Application Preference, but that seems to have made no difference.

I changed the seta r_customHeight "486" and seta r_customWidth "720" to the appropriate sizes, but I still get nothing.

Anyone else have any OTHER ideas? This is beginning to piss me off.

ChrisReid

Sorry, no help here, but I can echo that I had the same problem with the AA. Any AA switching in the menus would return me back to the default options when I restarted the game. Never had a problem changing resolution though. Geforce FX 5600 with the latest nvidia drivers after the Doom launch was what I was running.

Sander

Try setting r_mode either in your doomconfig file, or through the console in the game.

r_mode 3 equals 640x480
r_mode 4 equals 800x600
r_mode 5 equals 1024x768
etc

In the game:

Press CTRL+ALT+~(left of the 1) to open console
type "r_mode 5"
type "vid_restart"

That should work.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Also, if you host a multiplayer game (and make it a LAN game so nobody joins), you can change all graphics settings on the fly. Give that a try...

Top Bottom