• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick question regarding the legality of something in the workplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mutual clerk (meaning I take bets) at the New York Racing Association. If you live near New York, you've undoubtedly heard of the legal troubles NYRA has been having for the past year or two- clerks have been abusing their position and using it to launder money for themselves or others, betting on the job, etc. NYRA eventually settled with the state.

I've just been informed that one of the clauses of the settlement is that all existing employees must be educated in financial ethics. The way NYRA is handling this is to force all returning employees to go to a class at a local community college for two hours (before the work schedule) on the subject. This class is MANDATORY, and, as far as I know, we do not get compensated for it.

I was wondering if it was legal for them to require us to spend our time in this if it's unpaid. It seems like it's a training course, and as far as I know, employers are required to pay employees for training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom