• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick Windows XP help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
I'm at my In-laws trying to help them with a computer problem. They're using Windows XP and their cd-roms are found but not installed due to a corrupt cd driver. I've been searching, but can't find a location to download a generic cd driver. Anyone have any ideas? I want to get out of here already. :p

firex

device manager -> "remove" the cd drive and let the hardware wizard "find" it, then try autofinding a driver for it, or pick one from a list if it can't autofind a driver.

gblues

Banned
The CD-ROM driver is built into the OS. If you rip it out of device manager, Windows should re-install it when you reboot and not ask you for a disk. If Windows can't find the driver, you are going to have to extract the necessary files off the Windows CD (use msconfig).

Nathan

RedDwarf

Smegging smeg of a smeg!
Thanks for the advice. The problem was related to Easy CD Creator being installed. I found a page on the Windows XP support site that had some registry entries to remove and voila, it installed the drives. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom