• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Sumatran Rhino spotted for first time in 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
23.03%20sumatran%20rhino%20caught.png

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ran-rhino-spotted-indonesian-borneo/82199538/
Conservationists recently captured a live Sumatran rhino in Indonesian Borneo, marking the first time in 40 years researchers have made contact with the critically endangered species, the World Wildlife Foundation said on Tuesday.

The Sumatran rhino was believed to be extinct until 2013, when World Wildlife Fund researchers found rhino tracks and later captured an picture of one on a trap camera, the World Wildlife Fund said in a statement.

There are fewer than 100 Sumatran rhinos living in the wild, according to the organization.

On March 12, a female Sumatran rhino was captured in a pit trap. She is being held in a temporary enclosure and will be transported to a protect forest area, where she will be used to begin a breeding program, Pak Efransjah, CEO WWF-Indonesia said in a statement.

“This is a race against time for rhino conservation," Efransjah said. "Providing a safe home is the only hope for the the survival of the Sumatran rhino for many generations to come."

Although they are still large, Sumatran rhinos are the smallest of the living rhinos, according to WWF. They also have two horns, which sets them apart from other Asian rhinos.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Very cool that they are still kicking, I hope the breeding program is successful.

Foffy

Banned
Man who would ever want to hurt the rhinos. They're cool as fuck.

Idiots who want their horns because lolsupermedicine.

You'd figure they'd at least let them be grown and cultivated faster than it takes the shitheads who kill them haphazardly, but their buffoonery exceeds even basic boundaries of logic.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Who here wants to take a trip and go hunt it with me?
Humanity.

A lot of those hunting trips are carefully selected to make sure they find an animal that would be better off dead, and are necessary to fund the organizations that keep these animals safe. Like if there's a troublemaker Rhino that's killing others, or if there's one that older. They weigh the pros and cons of killing the animal vs how beneficial the money from the hunting license would be.

JoeNut

A lot of those hunting trips are carefully selected to make sure they find an animal that would be better off dead, and are necessary to fund the organizations that keep these animals safe. Like if there's a troublemaker Rhino that's killing others, or if there's one that older. They weigh the pros and cons of killing the animal vs how beneficial the money from the hunting license would be.

so basically you're pro killing endangered species?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom