• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's handheld team interview

jarrod

Banned
Good read. Here's a few intruiging Rare quotes...

It is true, but they are currently only doing Sabre Wulf, Mr. Pants and Banjo (for InFusio cellphones). I don't think Nintendo would be too happy if they were doing DKC. Mr. Pants will hit the shops before December 2007, so I hope that makes you happy.
A Battletoads game would be really cool on the GBA - there's nothing to confirm at the moment, but hopefully we can do one in the future.
Hopefully there will be more GBA games to come - KI & KI2 would be ideal for the GBA.
Sounds cool, but we're not doing any DS games, are we? Or are we? Or... are we?
The GBA team has less than ten members - to be honest there's not really that much exchange between teams as we've being working on separate projects from them.
As for Blast Corps, I completely agree, personally I think this is the best Rare game to date and fully deserving of a sequel or an update...

Blast Corps DS please. :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Q1: The Game Boy Advance team seems like it's in a very unique situation, to me. Microsoft owns Rare, but Rare can make GBA games via THQ. My question is, what properties and franchises can you use in a Game Boy game? Obviously, you can make games with your own characters, but could you take a Microsoft property like Crimson Skies or a THQ property like Worms and make a GBA game based on them? (QBert)

A: Not really sure on this, I think we could possibly use Microsoft IP if we wanted to. We haven't really looked into it as we have a great back catalogue of games to draw from. I'm sure you wouldn't dream of suggesting otherwise.

Halo DS
Rise of Nations DS
ShadowRun DS

Kon Tiki

Banned
kpop100 said:
Why have it on inferior hardware, should be on PSP.

25040.jpg

:p

It is true, but they are currently only doing Sabre Wulf, Mr. Pants and Banjo (for InFusio cellphones). I don't think Nintendo would be too happy if they were doing DKC. Mr. Pants will hit the shops before December 2007, so I hope that makes you happy.

I do not believe this news. Expect a lengtly delay, pushing it back to somewhere around summer of 2011.

Brofist

jarrod said:
Well if you don't want Halo on "inferior tech", PSP is out also.

Of course it's inferior to Xbox :p

I meant between the portables, as far as more faithful conversion. There are already like 5 PSP vs DS topics, so we can just leave it at that if you want :p

jarrod

Banned
Well, since Rare's handheld team will likely never have anything to do with either Halo or PSP, how about keeping them out of the thread entirely? :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
jarrod said:
Well, since Rare's handheld team will likely never have anything to do with either Halo or PSP, how about keeping them out of the thread entirely? :)

I was not starting anything. He said "We haven't really looked into it as we have a great back catalogue of games to draw from. I'm sure you wouldn't dream of suggesting otherwise", I was just listing some games that would be 'otherwise'.

jarrod

Banned
Anyway, the article seems to hint at...

Killer Instinct 1/2 GBA
BattleToads GBA
Donkey Kong Country 3 GBA

...and reconfirmed It's Mr Pants as a GBA title (despite rumors it moved to DS) and reconfirms Rare's GBA games will also be hitting cellphones. DS support seems pretty likely also, despite Microsoft's "official" line. Rare's handheld team being under 10 members surprises also, that means only about 5% of the company is responsible for nearly 70% of their game sales this generation.

#1, wtf is It's Mr. Pants?

#2, Battletoads on GBA would rock (port of arcade version or original game only please)!

#3, Blast Corps is more deserving of an Xbox sequel, imo.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
A new Battletoads would be completely kickass. How about a handheld Captain Skyhawk while we're at it?

Meier

Mr_Furious said:
#3, Blast Corps is more deserving of an Xbox sequel, imo.

Agreed, but the sales potential simply isnt there. I'd be happy with a port of the N64 game to the DS myself as it's my all-time favorite Rare game and one of the best games ever made IMO. I'd love a new one but I just dont see it happening sadly.

Using the stylus to swing the dumptruck around though would be a blast. :D

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
An Xbox sequel to Blast Corps would definitely make me buy an Xbox. I'd love to see a new one. Back when the first came out, I didn't really follow games, and just discovered them when I went to stores. I saw Blast Corps and was like "sweet, you destroy stuff!" I was most definitely pleased with that purchase. Those racing stages were pretty cool too.

Top Bottom