• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate my graphics card

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I was having trouble with my computer a while back and part of the problem was the graphics card. The computer store that fixed my computer replaced the graphics card. I initially had a GeForce4 4700 with 128MB and it was replaced with a GeForce FX 5700 LE with 128MB. Problem is I don't know how much better the new graphics card is... how much of a jump above my first card is it and how does it compare to other cards like ATI's Radeon 9600 or 9800? Just wondering how it rates.

ElyrionX

Ok, I'll start by providing some comments you can actually use.

The FX5700 is definitely a noticeable and significant jump from the GF4 4700 (Actually I don't think this even exists. Your card must be either a Ti4200, Ti4400 or Ti4600. I have never heard of a GF4 4700).

As to how it compares. Well, the performance of the FX5700 is probably around the range of the Radeon 9600 Pro series. Its not as good as the Radeon 9600 but it comes close enough.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
...it will also run Half-Life 2 very poorly, it seems. The Source Engine doesn't seem to work very well with the FX series...

Mrbob

Heh, the 4700? Doesn't exist my friend. :p Probably the 4600. The 5700 should be a small step up.

dark10x said:
...it will also run Half-Life 2 very poorly, it seems. The Source Engine doesn't seem to work very well with the FX series...

Well, it won't run in DX9 mode at all with the FX cards. Valve has created a custom DX8.1 mode for the Nvidia FX series of cards. I still remember Gabe talking (whining? :p ) about it in various interviews saying Valve has had to spend five times the amount of money making sure the game run properly on Nvidia cards versus Ati cards. This was, of course, before the 6800 series came out. Which can actually do proper DX9 functions.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ElyrionX said:
(Actually I don't think this even exists. Your card must be either a Ti4200, Ti4400 or Ti4600. I have never heard of a GF4 4700).
Oops... yeah, my silly mistake. It's a Ti4200. -_-;

edit:
dark10x said:
How about Doom 3?

Mrbob said:
Well, it won't run in DX9 mode at all with the FX cards.
You sure? It came with DX9 game demos

Vieo

I have an Asus GeForceFX 5200 128MB DDR. Got it for $51 at a computer show.

It sucks ass. All it's good for is running Quake III at max settings.

As soon as nVidia stops assing around, lowers the price of the GeForceGT 6800, and makes sure you can actually find a place that has them in stock, I'll probably pick up a BFG 6800 OC. CompUSA currently has PNYs in stock, but I bought a GeForce4 MX that was a PNY brand before and the card was f#cked right out of the box.

epmode

Vieo said:
CompUSA currently has PNYs in stock, but I bought a GeForce4 MX that was a PNY brand before and the card was f#cked right out of the box.
i bought a pny 6800 gt from comp usa's site about 2 weeks ago. works fine.

Top Bottom