• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 for Xbox - Denied for now

SantaC

From Gamereactor:

Some gaming sites reported a few days ago that Resident Evil 4 will be released for Xbox, and that it was confirmed by Capcom. Everything turned out to be a false rumor, and Capcom denied it with the following comment:

"At present we are focusing on completing the GameCube version and beginning development on the PS2 version. Whether Resident Evil 4 will appear on other platforms has not yet been determined."

http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/?id=2871

quote from eurogamer:

"However, if you surfed around the web over the weekend, you might have been forgiven for thinking otherwise. According to one report - based on a conversation with some form of Capcom insider at an industry event last Friday - an Xbox port wasn't just a possibility, it was confirmed."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57133

Kon Tiki

Banned
DarienA said:
of which version?
Was a joke. They do not care about protecting sales, since they announced ps2 before gcn version went on sale.

I'd like to see a 'new' RE on xbox personally.

Miburou

If they were planning on making an Xbox version as well, then why not announce it at the same time as the the PS2 version?

ge-man

This is hardly a denial, though I don't think the Xbox will get RE4 in the end if the GC and PS2 versions do well enough.

SantaCruZer said:
From Gamereactor:
Everything turned out to be a false rumor, and Capcom denied it with the following comment:

Spong :lol

"Whether Resident Evil 4 will appear on other platforms has not yet been determined."

That's not actually a denial. It hasn't yet been determined i.e. Capcom hasn't said its untrue. They would not admit this at this stage, or the sales of the Cube version would be decimated.

If Capcom had said "we won't be releasing RE 4 for Xbox ever" that would be a denial. And because they haven't explicitly denied it, more than anything, it suggest that the rumour is actually true.

Think about it, just for a second.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Mecha Gandhi said:
That's not actually a denial. It hasn't yet been determined i.e. Capcom hasn't said its untrue. They would not admit this at this stage, or the sales of the Cube version would be decimated.

I think announcing a Ps2 version will be more detrimental to GCN sales than an Xbox version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They said the same thing about the Viewtiful Joe Xbox a while ago (something like we are trying to determine whether to port VJ on other platforms...) but it's all PR crap. I wouldn't be surprised to see every of their games coming to every platform.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mecha Gandhi said:

How does admitting a PS2 version exists NOT decimate sales... but admitting and Xbox version exist would?

If Capcom had said "we won't be releasing RE 4 for Xbox ever" that would be a denial. And because they haven't explicitly denied it, more than anything, it suggest that the rumour is actually true.

Then again RE4 was NEVER coming to any other console at one point....

Personally NEVER in the VG industry is a word that should... NEVER ;) be used.... in terms of 3rd party software coming to certain consoles.

SantaC

Mecha Gandhi said:
"Whether Resident Evil 4 will appear on other platforms has not yet been determined."

Think about it, just for a second.

They denied the RUMOR that it was already confirmed. It didn't have to do anything if it will come out in the future.

Also the topic said "Denied for now" which is right THIS moment.

ge-man

Mecha Gandhi said:

Like Capcom cared when they announced the PS2 version. I honestly believe that a Xbox version is just not in the cards. The system has largely been ignored by Capcom in favor of heavy PS2 support and token GC support.

hirokazu

one thing i'd like to comment about the original Spong article is - it didn't even say that the drunkard who told them RE4 was coming on Xbox... was even a Capcom staff. that and the Spong crew were probably drunk too.

that said, admittedly, this news from Capcom doesn't really deny that they may port it to Xbox in the future, i still don't believe the Spong news either way, even if it does get announced for Xbox several months from now.

i'd only give Spong credit for this 'news' if Capcom does change their mind and decide that it is coming to Xbox, within not 2 weeks, but a month, or by Christmas, even.

ge-man said:
Like Capcom cared when they announced the PS2 version. I honestly believe that a Xbox version is just not in the cards. The system has largely been ignored by Capcom in favor of heavy PS2 support and token GC support.

i'd happily trade that Gotcha Force crap and whatever Megaman rubbish the GC got for SF Anniversary and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to be on GC. i dislike how they completely abandoned GC in terms of arcade games.

ge-man

hirokazu said:
i'd happily trade that Gotcha Force crap and whatever Megaman rubbish the GC got for SF Anniversary and Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to be on GC. i dislike how they completely abandoned GC in terms of arcade games.

Sadly, perception defeats the GC once again in this case. Japansese developers mostly see the system as a kiddy system. Hell, I remember reading quotes from a couple of guys from Capcom saying the same thing. It's not surprising that most of their support is stuff like Mega Man. Nintendo lucked out on RE and Killer 7.

SantaC

ge-man said:
Sadly, perception defeats the GC once again in this case. Japansese developers mostly see the system as a kiddy system. Hell, I remember reading quotes from a couple of guys from Capcom saying the same thing. It's not surprising that most of their support is stuff like Mega Man. Nintendo lucked out on RE and Killer 7.

atleast Gamecube get better support from capcom than from Konami. Has anything else than disney soccer or whatever come out from konami this gen?

ge-man

SantaCruZer said:
atleast Gamecube get better support from capcom than from Konami. Has anything else than disney soccer or whatever come out from konami this gen?

Konami has made NOTHING for the GC. They only published those Disney games and the TMNT games. They won't come near the system with any of their own development teams.

Miburou

ge-man said:
Konami has made NOTHING for the GC. They only published those Disney games and the TMNT games. They won't come near the system with any of their own development teams.

Not true at all. Konami Osaka (now Konami Studios) developed the Disney sports games. The TMNT games I believe were also made by Konami Studios. Konami Tokyo made one Winning Eleven game for GC, and Konami Japan made several anime-based game on GC (Yugioh, Hikari no Go, etc.).

Link316

Banned
DarienA said:
How does admitting a PS2 version exists NOT decimate sales... but admitting and Xbox version exist would?

cause the GC is more in direct competition with the Xbox than with the PS2? ;)

anyway with the way Capcom has ported the RE games, I can see them bringing the entire series to the Xbox if not the Xbox2

SantaC

ge-man said:

yeah that was my point. Back in the snes days the konami support was crazy..in a good way.

Redbeard

Banned
Seems like if Capcom is really out to milk this title an Xbox port would make sense (it would probably be easier and cheaper to port than the PS2 version and they wouldn't even have to release it in Japan).

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
TheGreenGiant said:
Nintendo still has released a fucking statement.

and

is Folder + Spong banned in that case?

if nintendo was smart.. they wouldnt release a statement..

also.. if there was an xbox version currently in development.. why the hell would they hide the fact? the broken exclusivity has already been announced .... makes no sense...

i dont think its currently in dev.. BUT capcom execs dont want to rule out the possibility ..

If MS was smart, Bill should send a rep to Capcom with a chequebook til they give. Way to kill public perception of Nintendo if they get RE4 xboxed. I'm sure this is/has already/going to take place.

xsarien

daedsiluap
TheGreenGiant said:
If MS was smart, Bill should send a rep to Capcom with a chequebook til they give. Way to kill public perception of Nintendo if they get RE4 xboxed. I'm sure this is/has already/going to take place.

If all it took was money, Microsoft would own Sega or Nintendo by now. Both rejected very generous offers.

xsarien said:
If all it took was money, Microsoft would own Sega or Nintendo by now. Both rejected very generous offers.

its not quite the same. game port = dev time = money. If MS covers it.. they will win and which company will say no to that? This is also about Xenon 2. MS can dangle lower pub rates..etc for Capcom like they've done for Sega. I mean without MS would PDO have had the awesome ad runs that it did?

hirokazu

TheGreenGiant said:
is Folder + Spong banned in that case?

i think its fair to give them the 2 weeks that Folder said Capcom would make an announcement by, as this isn't a flat-out denial. also, i don't think its fair to ban Folder for it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
TheGreenGiant said:
its not quite the same. game port = dev time = money. If MS covers it.. they will win and which company will say no to that? This is also about Xenon 2. MS can dangle lower pub rates..etc for Capcom like they've done for Sega. I mean without MS would PDO have had the awesome ad runs that it did?

A lot of good that did it. ;)

Shinobi

kpop100 said:
Well if Xbox 2 does hit next fall I doubt an Xbox port will ever come about.

Bingo. There's no need to announce a game for a system that's yet to be confirmed, so just wait a few months. Of course there was no need to announce the PS2 version of RE4 last week either, so whatever.

Why would Nintendo release a statement?

Did Sony release any kind of statement when Capcom announced that RE would be switched over to the GCN?

This is Capcom's IP, and its their decision to make, and they already made a press release on the subject. There's nothing else to say.

I don't think an XBox version of RE4 is in the cards. If it was to come out before 2006, it would have to be in development already, and if it was, they would've just announced with the PS2 version. The exclusivity thing is broken, there's no reason to be secretive about an XBox version.

soundwave05 said:
Why would Nintendo release a statement?

Did Sony release any kind of statement when Capcom announced that RE would be switched over to the GCN?

This is Capcom's IP, and its their decision to make, and they already made a press release on the subject. There's nothing else to say.

I don't think an XBox version of RE4 is in the cards. If it was to come out before 2006, it would have to be in development already, and if it was, they would've just announced with the PS2 version. The exclusivity thing is broken, there's no reason to be secretive about an XBox version.

well, considering how Nintendo has been trumping RE4 for ages. I don't see why we can't at least expect a response back from them regarding their BIGGEST 3rd party title in ages. The last E3 showing - RE4 was such a big showcase and reggie was the one who sold it.

* Miyamoto and Shinji shook hands at their RE announcements - it is a joint commitment. We've heard the Capbomb side; now I want the Nintendo Story

Yeah, but Sony trumped MGS2 as being PS2 only and hyped it to high hell at E3 2001 ... that eventually also ended up on the XBox. Grand Theft Auto also ended up on the XBox.

When/if Nintendo comments on it, they'll say they still have a considerable period of exclusivity on the game. I don't expect them to say anything unless they're specifically asked in an interview though.

They probably haven't responded because in the Splinter Cell, GTA3/Vice City sense of the word it's still exclusive. For nigh on a year.

I don't think an Xbox version is coming. Allow me to adopt a Drinky Crow like attitude in this matter:

BUY A GAMECUBE

(and/or a ps2)

Shinobi

What can Nintendo say anyway? We're going to punish Capcom? We screwed up? Sony can eat a dick? We never liked RE4 that much anyway? Let's face it, there isn't much they can say about it for public consumption...well, at least on the record.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
WTF? Just saw talk of my banning?

Right, here’s what has been happening. I’m telling you exactly what has happened with this story because it’s important to me you understand what went on properly. And following talks with Capcom this morning and them being so babyish about the whole thing, I don’t care.

The information did not come from a Capcom representative. I was made privy to the information Capcom sent to Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo regarding how it was going to manage the game’s roll-out. Various information was included detailing Nintendo’s investment to date in the product, though this was solely related to marketing and showfloor space, etc. It explained release strategies per territory, though we were asked not to be too specific by our source, so we weren’t.

The quoted source in the piece, specifically as being drunk, is subterfuge on our part to protect that source. If we said, a well placed source at Microsoft, there would be a witch-hunt.

However, Capcom seems to have worked this out this morning so fuck it.

I spent this morning pushing them for an announcement date. We were originally told that it was imminent, a few weeks or by the end of the month at least. Please understand, the information came from a Capcom to us via the hardware owner. Today Capcom would tell us nothing. Announcement dates change, that’s just a fact.

Capcom this morning were the subject of a mild complaint from us, in that the statement issued seemed to discredit the originating SPOnG piece. Their official line is that “…until a game is announced, officially it doesn’t exist.”

So what can you do?

And GreenGiant. Calling for my banning over this is pious in the extreme. Grow up.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Matlock said:
You're a nice guy and all, but I'm having trouble believing anything you say.
Fair enough.

Just wanted to explain the full story behind the piece as I respect the views of this forum probably more than is good for me. I know when the game is announced, you'll say it was guesswork. This is the nature of things.

Folder said:
The quoted source in the piece, specifically as being drunk, is subterfuge on our part to protect that source. If we said, a well placed source at Microsoft, there would be a witch-hunt.

hahahahahaha. :lol :lol you're not that smart.

Folder said:
And GreenGiant. Calling for my banning over this is pious in the extreme. Grow up.

I'm not the only one asking for your ban in this thread. lamo. YOU ARE SUCH A LAMO AND YOUR WEBSITE IS LIKE A HAEMERRHOIDAL SPHINCTER

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, when I read the title I thought it said R4, not RE4. I was getting all excited about a remake of Ridge Racer Type 4 for Xbox...now I'm sad...and a little hungry... :(

Folder said:

so you're saying it came from a MS source? :) You better be right then or you're shooting yourself in the foot

Top Bottom