• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend an old movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Name a movie (or two) that people may have missed.

I will start off with The Changeling.

You can watch a trailer here.

I recentley came across this videotape while cleaning my house. Having forgot how good of a movie it was, I decided to watch it again.

For a movie over 20 year old, this movie still made me jump.

When a recent widower (the wonderfully overemphatic George C. Scott ) moves into an antique Washington mansion, his realization that he may not be the only resident leads him toward a deadly secret that refuses to remain buried....The best haunted-house film since the legendary Haunting, this potent, classy combination of the mystery and horror genres eschews explicit gore and dumb shocks in exchange for a subtle creepiness that occasionally builds to a terrifying peak (watch out for that seance scene!). The result is a satisfyingly intelligent horror film with an intriguing dash of Watergate-era paranoia. Director Peter Medak went on to direct the considerably more gratuitous and somewhat less effective Romeo Is Bleeding and The Krays.

Sorry for not writing a better review (or a review at all for that matter). :(

thom

0780022084.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sincerely doubt anybody "missed" this but still a great old flick.

Wolfy

Banned
I might get abused for saying this, but Impostor with Gary Senise. I thought it was a great sci fi flick.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
Willco said:
Since it's getting remade by Eli Roth, you better catch up on the source material...

B00027JYNK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Hah, caught some of that on TCM about a month ago. The cast was chewing the scenery so much, I thought they were about to blow bubbles with it.

I'll second everything Error Macro said, and put in a good word for The Sweet Smell of Success. There's atmosphere and dialogue out the wazoo, even though a minor part was badly miscast (watch it and you'll know which one).

Prospero

I could recommend old movies all day long (and I don't think of anything after, say, 1970 as "old"). But I'll stick with one that may not turn up here otherwise:

6305081034.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

(And for a double feature, you could follow it up with the movie that parodies it--some of the shots are even set up identically.)

0790749408.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Substance

B000056HEC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This movie has a surprising lastability given its structure and setting and that's mainly because of its acting, and the genius of the story unravelment. Admittedly its not the most conventionally entertaining of films, but make no doubt, you will be immensely satisfied following the film. It's clever, sharp, compelling, and not alienating in the least.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Hournda said:
Citizen Kane
meh... it was obviously a ground breaking movie at the time, but now that a lot of the cinematic techniques it pioneered have become common place it doesn't seem all that impressive. However, if you're someone interested in cinematography and its history this is a great movie to analyse. The story is decent enough too... but not great.

Anyway, my suggestions for a movie... lately I've been getting hyped about [/i]The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Collector's Edition DVD which was released only recently, so I'm going to suggest it.

Shazapp

I caught THE PENALTY, a 1920 silent film with Lon Chaney, on TCM one night. Highly recommended, if only for the fact that Chaney plays a man with no legs -- and does so quite convincingly -- before CGI and all that bullshit.

Hey, you wanted OLD!

More recent films worth checking out:

Apartment Zero
I, Madman

They're good -- not great -- but they're probably ones you haven't seen.

AfroLuffy

SLEUTH (1972)

B00005R24G.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine are outstanding as is the screenplay.

I believe it lost out to The Godfather for best picture that year.

Amazingly enough, I happened upon this gem of a film during a TV broadcast, which I suspect doesn't happen very often. None of my movie friends had even heard of it, but they all went out and bought the dvd after showed it to them. ^^

If you were to ask me, "What's your favorite film?" I'd give it the nod.

P.S. Props to whoever posted Treasure of the Sierra Madre :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom