• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me a good AV Selector/Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachesis

I'm getting a new HDTV in a couple of weeks, as well as a new DVD player, and I'm trying to hook up pretty much all my consoles with component video. (GC, XBX, PS2)

I've been searching all over the interenet for a suitable AV selector, and I came across this one from Audio Authority...

1154frontlc.jpg

1154backlc.jpg

http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/1154c.html

What I'm not too sure is whether this one is capable of trasfering HD data (while it says it can, but will this transmit all 480p, 720p and 1080i signals?)

Anyhow... Yes. I'd love to get an actual AV receiver which can upscan and produce a good component signal even from S-video - I already have a all-in-one home theater system which only have a very limited inputs, and unless that audio has a good audio out with coax, I might be wasting lots of money on that too.

If anyone know a great selector with plenty of component inputs, digital audio in/outs and all, please recommend.

lachesis

I've got that switch box, and from what I can tell, that's really the best there is out there. No need to look further. I use that in combination with my receiver since most receivers only have a couple component ins as well as optical in. So this is perfect for my needs. It does everything you want it to and more.

lachesis

I see. Then I shall go ahead and get this box. (I might need 2 of them, or perhaps connect my GC as S video. or just switch the cable whenever I needed).

Thanks, Marty. :)
lachesis

lachesis said:
I see. Then I shall go ahead and get this box. (I might need 2 of them, or perhaps connect my GC as S video. or just switch the cable whenever I needed).

Thanks, Marty. :)
lachesis

Why would you need two of them? Right now I have a DVD, PS2, Xbox, and GC using component video. I have all the consoles hooked up to the box, and then the DVD running directly to the TV since I have two inputs on there. I'm probably going to get an HDTV receiver sooner or later and use DVI for that.

A word of advice, get it off ebay as it'll be a bit cheaper. Also make sure you get the 1154A and not the 1154. I made that mistake myself.

lachesis

Why would you need two of them? Right now I have a DVD, PS2, Xbox, and GC using component video. I have all the consoles hooked up to the box, and then the DVD running directly to the TV since I have two inputs on there. I'm probably going to get an HDTV receiver sooner or later and use DVI for that.

Let's see... I have DVD, PS2, Xbox and GC. VGA slot will probably be connected to DC. It all really depends on whether the HD set-top box from my cable company would support DVI input (Time Warner Cable), and my future TV (Panasonic 50 inch retail model plasma) has very limited input but customizable ports. (which will cost me a few hundred bucks more to have 2nd component input).

I'll probably end up getting one, as GC and Xbox tends to get very limited playtime anyhow. :) And of course, I'm thinking of getting the 1154A, not 1154. ;)

As for the DVD player, I'm getting Momitsu (the one you've recommended) V880 - and all should be pretty fine and dandy, I hope... :)

Thanks for advice, Marty.

lachesis

lachesis said:
Let's see... I have DVD, PS2, Xbox and GC. VGA slot will probably be connected to DC. It all really depends on whether the HD set-top box from my cable company would support DVI input (Time Warner Cable), and my future TV (Panasonic 50 inch retail model plasma) has very limited input but customizable ports. (which will cost me a few hundred bucks more to have 2nd component input).

I'll probably end up getting one, as GC and Xbox tends to get very limited playtime anyhow. :) And of course, I'm thinking of getting the 1154A, not 1154. ;)

As for the DVD player, I'm getting Momitsu (the one you've recommended) V880 - and all should be pretty fine and dandy, I hope... :)

Thanks for advice, Marty.

lachesis

Sounds great. Let me know when you get that DVD player and let me know how well it works. I plan to get one once I get some spare cash around. Spent enough on the TV and switchbox for now. I also need to get a new remote. Looking at the Harmony remote now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom