• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me online PC shooters

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been out of the loop for almost two years and I'd like to start playing some online FPS games, the problem is that I don't really know what are the best options, so I'd like to get some feedback from GAF's savvy crew. So far I've downloaded the UT2004 demo and I love onslaught to death, but I find it too team based and I don't have any friends to train with :(

What are your suggestions? I don't have timeline preferences, I just want to blow shit up and have a good time.

Bristow

Banned
UT2k4 is the best option right now, but there is also Counterstrike Source, Call of Duty, Tribes:Vengeance, and BF1942.

Slo

There are DM modes to UT2004. Otherwise most of the *good* online games have atleast some team based elements.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
UT's deathmatch is too furious to me. I am getting CS: Source with HL2, that's for sure.

How is Battlefield if you are not part of a clan? I don't feel comfortable at all playing with more experienced players on team based games, I am a nuisance and they bitch a lot about my n00b skills.

Vlad

Funky Papa said:
How is Battlefield if you are not part of a clan? I don't feel comfortable at all playing with more experienced players on team based games, I am a nuisance and they bitch a lot about my n00b skills.

Unlike a game like Tribes or TFC, most of the games you'll find in BF are full of people who still don't know what they're doing. I can practically guarantee you that you'll be better than the average person online within a few weeks of playing.

That said, there is still some good fun to be had online. While it's team based, you don't have to have strict coordination to have fun. As long as you pay attention to the general game flow (where the enemy bases currently are, etc), you can easily find your way to the fighting and get plenty of action in. Not only that, but there's a TON of variety. If you feel like taking the slow and powerful approach, you can hop in a tank, or if you want to dogfight and provide support for your teammates, you can hop in a plane. I've spent entire rounds on the Pacific based maps just hanging out on a battleship, keeping it repaired and shooting down enemy planes with the flak guns, and have had plenty of action to keep me busy.

The best thing about BF is that there's a lot of stuff going on, but it's not "twitchy" in the same way that UT is. It's more important to know the maps, vehicles, and weapons than it is to have twitch reflexes and super-good aim.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The PC port of Halo is an abomination

Uh, why? Performance isn't the greatest, but AFAIK it's a pretty accurate port. Unless you consider mouse+keyboard the devil's work.

Bristow

Banned
EviLore said:
Uh, why? Performance isn't the greatest, but AFAIK it's a pretty accurate port. Unless you consider mouse+keyboard the devil's work.

The performance and the fact it seems to look worse than the Xbox version.

Kon Tiki

Banned
The MP in Halo PC is good. I have not noticed any performance lag. Also you getthat awesome map with the planes on the island.

akascream

Banned
You only need bother with one.

ProductBanner_CSS02.gif

Vieo

Heres another one of my random shots for you to drool over. =P :D

crzyhalo2.jpg

EDIT: Here too..

uRd00m3d.jpg

DOUBLE EDIT: Ah' what the hell, you might as look at this too..

vieonwn.jpg

Dilbert

Halo PC multiplayer is so bad that I actually started a whole new thread last night complaining about it. Sheesh.

As for the original poster, you can't go wrong with Enemy Territory (which is FREE) and UT2k4.

Top Bottom