• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some good action movies (foreign or domestic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robot

I decided to order some dvds from deepdiscountdvd.com and wanted to get some good action films.

I'm looking for mostly kung-fu style movies (or whatever you call it), and shoot-em up movies like Hard Boiled. I remember reading a thread in the old board recommending Legend of the Drunken Master and Iron Monkey, but I wasn't 100% sure. I know theres probably a ton that deepdiscountdvd.com doesnt carry, but it's worth a shot.

Any recommendations are appreciated, including anime and U.S films.

FnordChan

robot said:
Any recommendations are appreciated, including anime and U.S films.

Let's see:

B00005LK99.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Completely incoherant HK insanity courtesy of Tsui Hark, who directed this film while completely jacked up on pop culture. A dizzying variety of film reference blast past you, leaving the plot careening drunkenly behind it. I caught this in theatres with a friend; halfway through we had the following exchange:

Me: "Do you have any idea what this film is about?

Her: "No. Do you?"

Me: "No."

(pause)

Both of us simultaneously, with huge, shit-eating grins: "THIS FILM IS GREAT!"

So, yeah - it doesn't make a lick of sense, but it's still terrific. On the off-chance you aren't completely caught up on your John Woo:

B0001BKBDO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Two classics for the price of one! Or something!

Finally, here's an oddball anime flick that, while not exactly balls-to-the-wall non-stop action, does have some great scenes of all hell breaking lose:

B0000639HL.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's about an old guy trapped in an ultra-high-tech cybernetic bed. Then the guy decides he wants to go to the beach and things escalate into the realm of epic weirdness from there. Social commentary and complete insanity, courtesy of Katsuhiro "My other films are more coherant than Akira, I swear" Otomo.

FnordChan

calder

my fav Asian action flick (excluding Kurosawa/Mifune movies) by far:
B00005LKI9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edit: because I was late, how about...
brotherhooduk.jpg

Overheated, goofy, french period drama/martial arts/adventure/horror flick. Oodles of style and fights nifty enough you'll stop wondering why French barmaids in the 18th century know Kung-Fu. Bit of T&A too, which I always approve of in my action flicks.

robot

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna pick up most of them now, and write down the others for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom