• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some Math Books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motch

Hey there --

I want to get a little more involved in mathematics... the history of, challenging problems and how they were solved, etc. Are there any great books out there that you've read that have helped you? Or was there another technique you used...

Tell me about it, thanks.

PS - I've already taken 1st year calculus, and did everything up to and including second-level integrations.

Matlock

Banned
Apparently the first thing you need to figure out is how to get an avatar to be within the size restrictions of 90x120.

Seriously, though, folks...My strong point ain't math, but I know someone out there has to know this. A calculated bump will increase his chances...I hope!

GG-Duo

I would imagine that they'll make you learn Linear Algebra and Discreet Mathematics next.

If not, I would highly recommend you read up/take the course. Some of it is daunting - but it's also pretty interesting.

fart

Savant
rudy rucker's white light - kafka-esque mathematical fiction
just check out your local library for the dry stuff

Dilbert

If you're looking for textbooks...well, read textbooks. If you're looking for books about the history of math and/or important mathematicians, you might check out Prisoner's Dilemma (forget the author at the moment). It's an interesting discussion of non-zero-sum game theory, the life of von Neumann, and the applications of NZS game theory on psychology.

Prospero

Godel, Escher, Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter. That book ought to be required reading for anyone in math or the sciences. Or the arts, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom