• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendations - Turbo Grafx-16

Dyne

Well, deal is, I absolutely love the Turbo Grafx-16. I played it when I was growing up at my Aunt and Uncle's place, but really only played a few games. I got one a few months ago, when I learned the store near me has a copy of nearly every HuCard in-store, because the owner is a fan as well.

I bought Bonk, R-Type, and Keith Courage to start out. What timeless classics would you recommend for me to buy next? I can't just buy the whole catalog.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Military Madness.

Then get the Turbo CD with Ys Book I & II, Ys III, and import Ys IV.

That's a great start. :)

Kuramu

Blazing Lazers
Legendary Axe (a must)
Bonk's Adventure of course edit: woops, you already have it... well, good for you :)

Dyne

Mejilan said:
Military Madness.

Then get the Turbo CD with Ys Book I & II, Ys III, and import Ys IV.

That's a great start. :)

I wish I could find it. ;_;

How is Ys III on the SNES? I'm able to buy that.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Dyne said:
I wish I could find it. ;_;

How is Ys III on the SNES? I'm able to buy that.

Y's Book 1 & 2 on the Turbo CD destroys Y's III on the SNES. Y's Book 1 & 2 on the Turbo CD is one of the top 3 RPGs ever!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gunstar77 said:
Y's Book 1 & 2 on the Turbo CD destroys Y's III on the SNES. Y's Book 1 & 2 on the Turbo CD is one of the top 3 RPGs ever!

Ummm. Yes, but I think he was asking to compare Ys III SNES with other versions of Ys III.

Ar_

My favorite shooters:

Spriggan
Psychic Storm
Lords of Thunder

All on CD.

Gates of Thunder, Star Parodia, Forgotten Worlds (but you can play that on MAME!), and a pile of others, are also good.

robot

Moto Roader and Bravoman were awesome back then, but not sure how they aged.
Also, Ordyne was fun, and a puzzle game called Fu Man Chu or something.

Dungeon Explorer is Gauntlet mixed with Zelda

Military Madness is a forerunner to Advance Wars and deeper (I'm not familiar with the whole history of the Wars series though so a NES version probably predates MM).

Warm Machine said:
Dungeon Explorer is Gauntlet mixed with Zelda

Military Madness is a forerunner to Advance Wars and deeper (I'm not familiar with the whole history of the Wars series though so a NES version probably predates MM).

Dungeon Explorer rocks too. It's also 5-player compatible.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
sticking to domestic hu's:

blazing lazers
super star soldier
soldier blade
ninja spirit
devil's crush
bloody wolf

most of my favorite pce games are on cd, though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Welcome to the world of the Turbo :) I just got a Duo a few months ago, here's what I'm enjoying:

HuCard-

Neutopia - an easy Zelda clone, with more emphasis on fighting and less on puzzles...

Blazing Lazers - an intense shooter with awesome graphics and music for the time

Somer Assault - a strange game where you control a Slinky like creature... not for everybody, but certainly unique

Bonk series - side scrolling platformers with fairly stiff controls... I'm not as big a fan as everyone else is though :p

CD (US)

Exile - short but easy side scrolling RPG in an Arabic setting during the Crusades. Interesting, although slightly out of place soundtrack (I didn't know they listened to 1990's sounding house music during the Crusades!), and the game is really short and easy

Ys Book 1 and 2 - even though the combat system is odd (run into enemies to attack), it sounds better when you're actually playing the game, than it does on paper. The music is one of the classic game soundtracks, and the level design is incredible... There are lots of items, cool puzzles, and the like. If I actually got a chance to play this game in 1990, when it first came out in the US, I would've been blown away.

Ys 3 - I didn't like this one... I own the SNES and the CD-ROM2 versions.. The CD-ROM2 version has some of the choppiest scrolling you'll ever see, and both games have grainy graphics. The music is excellent, once again.

Gate of Thunder - A horizontal shooter with some awesome power-metal music, cool powerups, and gorgeous graphics that look better than most Genesis and SNES games.

Shadow of the Beast - Got this game with the system... it's one of the worst games ever made, you can actually get stuck (in lots of points) and are forced to reset the game... The monster design is really silly and unique, I have to give them credit for that. Interestingly enough, it's made by DMA Design, now known as Rockstar North... yes, the GTA people.

Cosmic Fantasy 2 - I heard this is a great oldskool RPG

CD (JP)

Ys 4 - haven't played much of this, but it looks to continue the amazingness in Ys Book 1 and 2

Dracula X - the forerunner to Symphony of the Night... plays more like Castlevania 3 than SOTN, but many of the enemies will look familiar to SOTN fans. The graphics are some of the absolute best on the system, some of the special effects are mindboggling, the music is excellent (a lot of it is remixed songs from CV1-3), there's 2 different routes through the game, some secret stuff to find... It's a bit easier than the NES CV games, and it has a save feature which is very nice. I'm like 76% complete with it currently... It costs a lot but it's definitely worth it.

Tengai Makyo 2 - a classic RPG with amazing cutscenes, good music, and attractive graphics. Supposed to be long as hell too. Plus it's got a good sense of humor (like all the Tengai Makyo games). A US release was supposed to happen but got scrapped :(

Izzy

Banned
Soldier Blade
Darius +
Psychosis
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers
Aero Blasters
Darius Alpha
Gates & Lords of Thunder

Izzy

Banned
Shadow of the Beast - Got this game with the system... it's one of the worst games ever made, you can actually get stuck (in lots of points) and are forced to reset the game... The monster design is really silly and unique, I have to give them credit for that. Interestingly enough, it's made by DMA Design, now known as Rockstar North... yes, the GTA people.

No, Reflections and Martin Edmonton made this one. Unbeliveable graphics for its time.

suikodan

I liked Silent Debuggers a lot at the time.

It was scary. Monsters could attack the vital parts of the base. The light room, the ammo room, etc...

If they destroyed, for example, the light room, you would be stuck in the dark for the rest of the game.

Zenny

Banned
COVER-Son_Son_II.jpg

Son Son II was fantastic for it's time.
It was a capcom/nec avenue co produced game and pretty much the closest thing
to a port of the arcade classic 'black tiger aka black dragon' with a sai yuuki aka monky magic flair.

Heaps of secrets and shops, a bit like wonderboy in monster land.
And cool tunes to boot.

Game Get +1

vireland

Off the top of my head...

Turbografx domestic:
Military Madness
Ys I&II
Winds of Thunder
Aero Blasters
Dungeon Explorer II
Blazing Lasers
Exile
Exile II
Parasol Stars (Bubble Bobble III)
Valis II
Valis III
Vasteel

Import (PC-Engine - CDs work as-is, carts require an adapter)
Shubibinman 3 (megaman knockoff)
L-Dis (shooter)
Spriggan (NOT Spriggan II - sucks)
Dracula X (good luck getting this for less than $100)
Tengai Makyo I & II (rpgs, may experience gaijin lock with these, though)
Tenshi no Uta I & II (rpgs possible gaijin lock)
Ys IV

Joeholley

Air Zonk was always one of my fav TG-16 games, and one of the few I still fire up regularly. It's a zany shooter with excellent music and tons of flavor. A bit on the easy side, even on hard tho. It's mostly about memorizing enemy patterns rather than dodging bullets.

Dyne

Joeholley said:
Air Zonk was always one of my fav TG-16 games, and one of the few I still fire up regularly. It's a zany shooter with excellent music and tons of flavor. A bit on the easy side, even on hard tho. It's mostly about memorizing enemy patterns rather than dodging bullets.

Sweet. I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Air Zonk. It's a lot more expensive than the other HUs, so it has to be that much more fun and rare.

Top Bottom