• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Records show increased overtime earnings for officer involved in Garner death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lime

white supremacy in full effect

Police officer Daniel Pantaleo, who restrained Eric Garner in a chokehold shortly before Garner died on Staten Island in 2014, has steadily increased his earnings — including a sharp jump in overtime pay — in the two years since he was placed on modified duty.

Pantaleo earned $119,996 in fiscal year 2016, which includes earnings between July 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016. His base pay was $78,026 and he earned $23,220 in overtime, according to a review of payroll records. He received an additional $12,853 in unspecified pay, which could include retroactive pay or bonuses.

Pantaleo's earnings in 2016 represent a 35 percent increase in overtime pay, and a 14 percent overall increase from the previous fiscal year, which began shortly before Garner's death on July 17, 2014.

In that 12-month period, ending June 30, 2015, Pantaleo earned $105,061, with $76,488 base pay, $17,109 in overtime and $11,673 in additional earnings, records show.

In fiscal year 2014, which was completed before Garner's death and Pantaleo's subsequent reassignment, he made $99,915, which included $17,189 in overtime.

Pantaleo was seen on video helping wrestle Garner to the ground after Garner, who was unarmed, refused to be arrested for allegedly selling loose cigarettes outside a convenience store. The city's medical examiner later determined the "choke hold" contributed to Garner's death.

Pantaleo was stripped of his gun and badge after Garner's death and placed on modified assignment, pending an investigation by the department. A Staten Island grand jury declined to indict him in December of 2014.

Police commissioner Bill Bratton said in July that the department's own investigation into Pantaleo's actions is "for all practical purposes," completed, but the department is awaiting the outcome of a federal investigation.

In April, Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration abruptly stopped disclosing information on disciplinary cases within the police department, reversing four decades of precedent.

The payroll records suggest that, as of July, Pantaleo had not yet received any disciplinary action from the department that affected his earnings.

Asked about Pantaleo's overtime earnings, NYPD spokesman John Grimpel wrote in an email, "At times, officers are required to work beyond their scheduled tour of duty. This includes officers on modified assignment."

A spokesman for de Blasio declined to comment.

POLITICO reviewed the payroll records following a recent outcry from police reform activists, elected officials and Garner's family calling for the city to release Pantaleo's disciplinary records.

The mayor has said he would prefer to release disciplinary records of police officers, but said he is bound by state law. Gov. Andrew Cuomo has questioned that explanation, saying the mayor was using the law as a "scapegoat."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/states/new-...eath-boosts-overtime-pay-105359#ixzz4Kq91YKbH

This is the guy (content warning: murder): https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsLwSJbWAAAfhQ0.jpg

if this is too depressing and hurtful, please delete this thread.

entremet

He was cleared and still has his job. Was he supposed to not get paid?

I'm not making a judgement about the Garner case, but I'm not seeing the point of posting his salary.

I mean, duh.

quickwhips

Federal pay jobs make bank. In my state you pension is based on your two best years. Maybe he is going to retire soon?

quickwhips

Median salary is %57,000. 90th percentile is $92,500

At $120,000, I'd imagine this guy is in like the top 1% in terms of earnings for all officers.
You would be wrong in Delaware. An officer I know made 500k one year base salary was 65k. Federal pay jobs are insane if you don't take vacation one year.

A 2013 investigation by Newsday found that Section 50-a has been instrumental in keeping the public in the dark about acts of misconduct, even crimes, by police on Long Island: Officers shot innocent people, faked official paperwork, manipulated DWI arrests to boost overtime pay and lied to prosecutors and investigators, out of public view.

Hmm.

entremet

15k is a huge jump for 2 years. How much you wanna bet he wouldn't of seen that much of increase if this hadn't happened?
This is what happens when you have proper unions. Nothing to do with the Garner case, which he was cleared for.

jayu26

Yeah, it scares me that this type of bullshit might make it was up hear, if it hasnt already :(
I have always been proud of our officers in GTA. I say as a dude who was carded back in my High School days. Even then I wasn't scared for my life. In more recent past I have had to call police and had police called upon me (by father, who was experiencing alcohol withdrawal induced hallucinations). They came in and calmly figured out the situation and dealt with it accordingly. I have no qualms about calling cops any where or anytime in Canada. I am terrified of American cops.

Dai101

Banned
System working as intended i see ....

7HivbrD.jpg

tY4fUsi.jpg

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
15k is a huge jump for 1 year. How much you wanna bet he wouldn't of seen that much of increase if this hadn't happened?

He is a member of an incredibly powerful union.

14% isn't that big a jump.

Garner's death brought unwanted attention and cost the department money. Not sure why they would reward him with a bigger raise.

entremet

Police unions are criminal and society would be better off without them.
They are a problem but people are getting upset at the wrong issue.

He wasn't fired. He wasn't charged. There is no rule that freezes pay based on grand jury charges, which were dropped.

Again, complaining about the police procedures and sham trial, I get.

usp84

120k is insanely good

I know that living in USA is more expensive than other countries but that's a lot of money

Slayven

They are a problem but people are getting upset at the wrong issue.

He wasn't fired. He wasn't charged. There is no rule that freezes pay based on grand jury charges, which were dropped.

Again, complaining about the police procedures and sham trial, I get.

we can be mad at symptoms and the disease

entremet

we can be mad at symptoms and the disease

But there not really related here.

Was his pay gonna be magically frozen because he went though a grand jury trial and charges were dropped?

Pay increases are negotiated by union contract and legally enforceable and binding. Nothing to do with dropped charges, no matter how incendiary.

120k is insanely good

I know that living in USA is more expensive than other countries but that's a lot of money

Median personal income in the states is $30,000. He is making 4 times that. Granted he also lives in NYC, which has a dramatically higher cost of living than say, Davenport Iowa.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Median salary is $57,000. 90th percentile is $92,500

At $120,000, I'd imagine this guy is in like the top 1% in terms of earnings for all officers.

There are several cops in my extended family. They all make six figures. All of their cop friends and cop exes make six figures. Sure you're not counting volunteers and/or just base pay?

Slayven

But there not really related here.

Was his pay gonna be magically frozen because he went though a grand jury trial and charges were dropped?

Pay increases are negotiated by union contract and legally enforceable and binding. Nothing to do with dropped charges, no matter how incendiary.

Cause killing a black person is just incendiary. But hey was cleared we should be all be happy about it. Fuck that

Median salary is $57,000. 90th percentile is $92,500

His salary isn't $120,000; it's $76,488. It goes up to $120k after overtime and taking extra work. I'd imagine that median salary and 90th percentile don't account for overtime and off duty work.

entremet

Cause killing a black person is just incendiary. But hey was cleared we should be all be happy about it. Fuck that

No.

But it's a fruitless cause to worry about his pay. There was not gonna be some magical hex on his paycheck because he was involved in, what I believe to be manslaughter.

You can still think he got off free and believe that's a terrible decision and also internalize that his pay was not gonna have some demerits due to a trial that left him legally innocent.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
No.

But it's a fruitless cause to worry about his pay. There was not gonna be some magical hex on his paycheck because he was involved in, what I believe to be manslaughter.

You can still think he got off free and believe that's a terrible decision and also internalize that his pay was not gonna have some demerits due to a trial that left him legally innocent.

I think that people should expect a better class of employee for that money.

Lime

No.

People working for the US police departments get ostracized, sidelined and undercut in pay when they speak out against the Blue Wall, yet this guy continues as normal, even with significant overtime and bonuses.

entremet

People working for the US police departments get ostracized, sidelined and undercut in pay when they speak out against the Blue Wall, yet this guy continues as normal, even with significant overtime and bonuses.

He wasn't charged with any crime legally.

Should a charge that never went to trial affect his salary based on the contract negotiated by the union?

Let's say you believe that to be true, do you think the union members would ever agree to that?

Again, I'm not saying he was justified. I think he's guilty of manslaughter, but if we're going by legal structures--court rulings and contracts--why would the Garner incident, which he was cleared on, affect his pay again?

Also, overtime is a common in the NYPD. The NYPD is actually short staffed in headcount, so overtime is pretty much mandatory for many officers.

Lime

He wasn't charged with any crime legally.

Should that affect is salary based on the contract negotiated by the union?

Let's say you believe that to be true, do you think the union members would ever agree to that?

Again, I'm not saying he was justified. I think he's guilty of manslaughter, but if we're going by legal structures--court rulings and contracts--why would the Garner incident, which he was cleared on, affect his pay again?

People aren't charged legally when they speak out against the Blue Wall, but they sure as hell receive repercussions by their departments and colleagues. I am just pointing out that the current system has no regard for the law anyway.

Apparently such internal mechanisms aren't put in place for this murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom