• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

owlbeak

Why are people debating what the IGN score will be?

Last time I checked they stopped being a credible source a long time ago when it was revealed they took bribes for high review scores just like all the major review sites.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Horsebite said:
Why are people debating what the IGN score will be?

Last time I checked they stopped being a credible source a long time ago when it was revealed they took bribes for high review scores just like all the major review sites.

IGN is great when they give a high score to a game you are interested in, IGN is terrible when they give a low score to a game you are interested in.

Barrett2

Its supposed to rain tomorrow, which means I have a perfect excuse to work from home and not go into the office. i.e.: my ass at Best Buy promptly at 10am, getting eaten by a bear at 10:15.

Gacha-pin

Big Ass Ramp said:
run, chicken, run!

up1463.jpg

lawblob said:
Its supposed to rain tomorrow, which means I have a perfect excuse to work from home and not go into the office. i.e.: my ass at Best Buy promptly at 10am, getting eaten by a bear at 10:15.

You stay home due to rain? :lol At my work you'd be shitcanned for that.

pahamrick

Bleh. I just had the entire ending ruined for me, which sucks because it sounds like one of the most memorable endings in a game in a long, long time (to me, anyway).

Need to strangle my now so-called friend.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
dskillzhtown said:
IGN is great when they give a high score to a game you are interested in, IGN is terrible when they give a low score to a game you are interested in.
Your logic is not welcome around these parts...

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
lawblob said:

Newman?

themadcowtipper said:
Pretty sure you can unlock, all the pre-order stuff by completeing missions, you just get it sooner with the codes.

That's not been confirmed to my knowledge

sw33tclyde said:
Did you see the video of the guy lassoing a nun and putting her on the train tracks?

I'm hoping we can get a bunch of people in a posse and do the same with 8 or so NPCs on the tracks. :D

I've heard rumors of no train in MP modes.

Barney

Neo Member
can anyone answer my question please?

Barney said:
Does anyone know if the Xbox 360 version is region locked or not? my console is Pal and I've pre-ordered the US version.

and is it true that the PS3 version will get some exclusive contents?

Dabanton

pahamrick said:
Bleh. I just had the entire ending ruined for me, which sucks because it sounds like one of the most memorable endings in a game in a long, long time (to me, anyway).

How did your friend know the ending?

His not a naughty pirate is he?

Kinyou

pahamrick said:

Oho, looks like i have to put on my anti-spoiler gear.

14e9iko.jpg

pahamrick

Dabanton said:
How did your friend know the ending?

His not a naughty pirate is he?

Probably, stinking rat bastard. :(

Seriously though, I don't think he is -- he got Mass Effect 2 early and I headed over to his place at the time to check it out and saw the box and everything.

Said he got his copy Friday night, what blows my mind even more is he finished it already. Must have skipped all the side stuff entirely.

Barrett2

If anybody posts spoilers in here, I swear to god I will attach rattlesnake fangs to your nuts and drag you behind my horse through fifty miles of cacti.

Dabanton

pahamrick said:
Probably, stinking rat bastard. :(

Seriously though, I don't think he is -- he got Mass Effect 2 early and I headed over to his place at the time to check it out and saw the box and everything.

Said he got his copy Friday night, what blows my mind even more is he finished it already. Must have skipped all the side stuff entirely.

Yeah that's a little freaky he must have been putting in the hours to complete it over the weekend. :lol

Can't say i'd enjoy rushing through the game like that.

TxdoHawk

Pretty interesting to see that legit early copies being sold hasn't apparently been an issue. All the places I was tipped off to said Friday, then on Friday they said Saturday, and then on Saturday they said Monday. :lol I'm going to give one close-ish place a call today, and if they don't have it I'm just going to go hit the midnight launch at my closest Gamestop.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
pahamrick said:
It's not that mindblowing, word is that RDR takes 15 or so hours to beat.

Ledsen

Swedish Gamereactor review 10/10

Summary

Rockstar haven't just made the best western game ever, but also an adult, well-written story that is engaging, touching and genre transcending. Red Dead Redemption is, in short, a masterpiece no one can afford to miss.

edit: Can I post the scans? This is a FREE swedish magazine we're talking about. I removed them for now.

pahamrick

Dabanton said:
Yeah that's a little freaky he must have been putting in the hours to complete it over the weekend. :lol

Can't say i'd enjoy rushing through the game like that.

Same. Might as well enjoy all the stuff in the game and take a look for any easter eggs.

Coin Return said:
It's not that mindblowing, word is that RDR takes 15 or so hours to beat.

Is that doing everything or just the story missions? I hope its just for the story missions. =/

bandresen said:
So he played the game on the fast track so he could ruin the ending for you? Nice one.

I don't know if he meant to do it on purpose, he gave me a ring a lil while ago and the conversation went something like -

"Oh man! I just beat RDR! Awesome ending! *Proceeds to spoil the ending.* " "..Thanks a lot." "Oh, crap. My bad man."

Zeliard

There are apparently fewer story missions than GTAIV, but more side missions that you can go off and do. So if you're just intent on finishing the story and not much more, it probably isn't relatively long, but as any open-world game, end-times will vary wildly with everyone who plays.

A good portion may never even finish the game, content to mostly just run around and hunt animals or get in gunfights with bandits. A lot of it will also depend on how players choose to travel around - fast traveling all over the place will cut down on your playing time greatly, but it'll probably keep you from finding other distractions in the game world.

Mad_Ban

Ledsen said:

Summary

Rockstar haven't just made the best western game ever, but also an adult, well-written story that is engaging, touching and genre transcending. Red Dead Redemption is, in short, a masterpiece no one can afford to miss.

edit: Can I post the scans? This is a FREE swedish magazine we're talking about. I removed them for now.
FFFF HYPE!!! D:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
pahamrick said:

How the fuck are people beating this so soon ?

chandoog said:
No and No but it's nice to have some closure from reliable people since the opinions in this topic are varying so much. :)

I guess I will give you the benefit of the doubt. Still a bit weird to care so much about the res if you don't even own the console ...

I still think it's a non issue, however it's good to see some guys having a change of hearts now lol

I don't know about others, but I will probably get the 360 version. Maybe even both :p

Wizpig

If I buy the Collector's Edition, then unlock the 3 "cheats" (golden guns, horse, etc.) can I avoid to use them?
I don't want super easy mode on my first playthrough, so if that's not possible I will not use the codes.

Kinyou said:
Oho, looks like i have to put on my anti-spoiler gear.

14e9iko.jpg

How long have you been waiting to use that pic? :lol

Zeliard said:
There are apparently fewer story missions than GTAIV, but more side missions that you can go off and do. So if you're just intent on finishing the story and not much more, it probably isn't relatively long, but as any open-world game, end-times will vary wildly with everyone who plays.

A good portion may never even finish the game, content to mostly just run around and hunt animals or get in gunfights with bandits. A lot of it will also depend on how players choose to travel around - fast traveling all over the place will cut down on your playing time greatly, but it'll probably keep you from finding other distractions in the game world.

A shorter campaign length is probably not a bad thing for me. I've never been able to bring myself to finish a GTA despite making it almost to the end a few times.

In comparison, I've finished both Saint's Row games. Don't know what that says about me.

keep the 10/10s coming.

i'm pretty sure IGN, Gametrailers etc will be handing out 9.5-10 scores too.

though for some reason i care very little lol, might not even bother to read any of the reviews. because i already know i will absolutely love this game.

pahamrick

Coin Return said:
Story missions only, but this is just from one person. How long was GTA4's main story?

No idea. I never finished GTA4, pretty sure it was 20-ish hours if you rushed though.

chandoog said:
How the fuck are people beating this so soon ?

Rushing through the story missions and skipping everything else? Has to be. I could probably spend hours on those sharp shooting challenges alone.

themadcowtipper said:
There was a big list of stuff you could do to get Dead Eye posted earlier in the thread.

I'm pretty sure those challenges are part of the download for the outfit. There was a picture someone posted who had gotten the SE early, and it had a picture of the insert with the downloadable code and it mentioned the outfit and challenges.

RedStep

dskillzhtown said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Don't assume shit, man.

They're also terrible when they give a high score to a game that we're not interested in.

Ledsen said:

Summary

Sounds like a huge, even oscar worthy achievement!

mintylurb said:
Aww..schennmu has gone soft..:lol

Chandoog works for the greater good, I will appreciate that ;)

Ledsen

Ok, main points from the 10/10 Gamereactor review:

- More than just GTA: Wild West

- In a way, reminds him of Oblivion in the way that there's something new and interesting around every corner

- Again, A LOT of stuff to do. Map is filled with icons at all times.

- Compares the combat favourably to Gears of War (cover system mainly), saying it's better than in any other Rockstar game

- Writer is a western fan and says Marston feels like a classic John Wayne-type hero

- As you gain fame, people will greet you on the street, removing their hat and so on. You also get challenged to duels the more famous you are

- Characters are amazing and very likeable

- "not just a western set, but western for real"

- Very nice variation in environments, examples: (environment spoilers) :
sun-drenched Mexican desert, dark mines, great forts, huge forests and snowy mountains

- To get money you can skin animals and sell the hides, catch bandits, search for hidden treasure (yay), herd cows and even pick flowers

- Finished the game after 30 hours but only did about 1/3 of the available side missions

pahamrick

Ledsen said:
- Finished the game after 30 hours but only did about 1/3 of the available side missions

That settles it. My douche of a friend raced through the story missions and skipped EVERYTHING else.

Top Bottom